Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Shift tower replacement

Dickjr. ยท 2016-08-24 17:11

In all my days I have never had such issues with machinery like I have this year. The shifter on my truck is loose letting it fall out of the pattern into no mans land. I called gave the vin # and trans #. They said I needed a shift tower and bushing. Ok order it. Drove 60 miles to get it , got back to put it on and had the wrong one. My shift lever is solid from the handle to the part that moves the rails. They gave me a shift tower stub. Called back gave them the same numbers out of the same book and the guy says I don't know where that comes from. You need this other p/n. You think? This is going on while my loader is getting the final drive replaced that I just replaced and it ran 10 hours.

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2016-08-25 00:46

    Machinery all has built in empathic sensing abilities, if things are going too well, you get a chunk of money in, or conversely if your bank balance is near the red and/or you are in a tight to meet a deadline, even if it's self imposed, something will break. Machines are also herd animals so if one lays down, usually the rest will follow in short order. Nothing for it but to laugh bitterly, have a couple cold ones after supper, and keep on pluggin'. Hope things get better soon.

  2. #2Dickjr.2016-08-25 21:19

    lantraxco , I appreciate the thoughts , hopefully the waters will calm soon. Went back today , they had a different part , it was a rebuild kit of the part they gave me yesterday = no good. I emailed picks of my setup to them and hope to here back tomorrow. Today was a real biotch. Wrong shift kit again , ordered septic tank they were out called 3 other places , found one to be set tomorrow afternoon. adding 300 to my job cost. Needed fencing to go around septic system , went to my usual source , no luck. 180 miles later I have it in the back of the truck. It's miller time. I'll post some pics of this shift tower tomorrow to explain that. God has a plan , test me , then bless me , I just hope he didn't hear what I said in TSC earlier.

  3. #3walkerv2016-08-25 22:08

    Did they discontinued the one piece set up maybe and now you have to get the stub set up like your first part run and have to by a new shifter handle on top of that. Hope you get it figured out

  4. #4Dickjr.2016-10-19 23:52

    Finally got it fixed. The shift tower I got the first time around worked. But we had to cut the upper part of my shifter and weld it in the bushing that bolts to the shift tower. The people looked at my shifter and said they could order the oem , 7 weeks out. It was a one piece from handle to trans shift forks. The guy at Volvo said he had never seen one. Am I the only one that has "that part I've never seen before "? Truck is doing good knock on wood.

  5. #5Dickjr.2016-11-01 20:36

    Here we go again. Today the shift started feeling loose. Then it started to rotate counter clockwise. I think all it is , the pin holding it in the bushing has come out or loose. It does or did shift nice and easy the last go around.

  6. #6movindirt2016-11-01 21:10

    Got a picture of your shifter? I've got a volvo tandem and I'd like to see if its the same in mine.

  7. #7Dickjr.2016-11-02 22:37

    movindirt , I don't have a pic of it. I can tell you this , it was one piece from the shift handle to the shift rails on the transmission. The people at Volvo sold me a shift tower and bushing. I had to cut my upper handle off and weld a fitting to it to accept the shift tower. I may have the bottom piece still , if so I'll post it up. They did find a matching shifter but it was in India and was 7 weeks out. The manager said he had never seen one like it. Maybe I should have kept it and not cut it to fit , it might have been worth some money.