I have seen for a while now that new equipment looks great with all the fancy curved glass but what happens down the road when it is not available from manufacturer? Plus the cost of replacement must be high vs calling a local guy for flat glass or lexan. I see the new Lull telehandler where each piece of glass is curved and looks great but it may be more appealing to destructive poeple with rocks. I can't imagine the cost to replace it.
Glass ? I've been saying the same thing, where is the replacements 20-30 yrs down the road ?? The steel frames , with the flat glass,rubber gaskets , that can be repaired and replaced by anybody , is cheap,durable and lasting. The special order , curved , odd shaped piece is nuts ! Costly ! And the other pieces have to be glued in, means lost production time ! Only OEM glass, dictates a captive customer at rip off prices ! They are trying to screw the customer , not reduce costs !:usa My thoughts !
Real men don't need glass cabs. (Says Digger, as he's decided to sit at home on HEF for a few hours til the -20 wind chill warms up just a bit.) But, I agree wholeheartedly with the comments above...
:bouncegri:bouncegri:lmao
I looked at a Volvo loader not long ago that used to have a curved front windshield. When it broke, the glass shop made up a replacement unit with three pieces of flat glass. They used one large piece for the middle and two narrow pieces for the sides. To join the pieces together, they added two vertical metal channels. They then sealed the channels and the glass into the existing window frame channels on the cab. The channel looked quite large as it used to have a wide rubber molding in it. That might be better than spending many hundreds of dollars on a replacement, if one can even find it.