Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

“Farm Dozer”

LCA078 · 2021-10-15 14:48

This popped up in my Craigslist feed this morning. Made me chuckle to what I consider as a farm dozer compared to other folks think. I wish I had the type of farm where this beast would fit in as a 'farm dozer'. Geeesh!

Replies25
  1. #1ianjoub2021-10-15 15:01

    By farm dozer, he probably means site machine. It is too big to move from job to job for the normal site work stuff.

  2. #2Queenslander2021-10-15 15:53

    Check out the Jackson brothers on Youtube, they have two D11s on their grain farm in NSW, Australia.

  3. #3LCA0782021-10-16 11:15

    I looked at that video and found a few other Jackson brother videos- definitely cool to have not just one D11 but two of them as farm dozers! The funny thing is I bet the price for a pair of D11 idler wheels delivered without even being installed is probably more than my whole budget for a farm dozer. For the price, I'd love to have that TD25 as it's cheaper than what a decent D6C or D is going for around here. But I am pretty sure I couldn't afford the TD25 basic operating and maintenance costs and then I'd also be stuck with it after I'm done with it like the current owner. For my version of a farm dozer, I think I need to stay around the 15-20 ton machines to get my bang for the buck in what I need to do with it (cleaning out a couple tanks, building a few roads, clearing cedar scrub, etc.).

  4. #4epirbalex2021-10-16 17:18

    Maintenance costs keep the big dozer prices down . Getting one stuck bit of an issue . I fixed it by buying a second for spares , either one of the major service items worth about the value as what the purchase cost was . Bit of a problem as the second is better , next model but mostly the same , think I need a third . That 25 would push more dirt in a day than a D6 in 3 . The D155 Komatsu's are not much wider than my old D7 , alot higher though . 140 hp compared to 320 , D7 has to work to push over trees , 155 just leans on em .

  5. #5ianjoub2021-10-16 17:40
  6. #6Queenslander2021-10-16 23:41

    Apologies for derailing the thread even further, but I found this very interesting. Impressive result. Welding starts at about 8.15.

  7. #7Alberta Cowman2021-10-17 02:32

    Why not? We have a D8N and I think it’s the perfect size for clearing bush and moving dirt. We also have a D6C but it only comes out when we have a spare operator for it or need to deal with soft conditions.

  8. #8epirbalex2021-10-17 02:57

    At about 16 minutes it looks like he could spend some time building up his track rails . So @ 200 amp 2 4 mm rods looks easy enough to handle , without affecting welder duty cycle .

  9. #9DMiller2021-10-17 07:39

    In the US almost Any tractor of Allis, FA, IH Dresser Dressta and a few Case units are getting tough to find adequate parts supplies, thus better off lighter use duty as 'Farm'. Several other breeds are out there similarly only ending up scrap iron in a decade or less as nonuse eats them up almost as badly.

  10. #10LCA0782021-10-18 00:01

    Yup- totally agree. If I buy any of those you list above as a farm dozer, I'll expect to run it to destruction and/or sell it right above scrap after I'm done with it. I really hate running equipment into the ground but I also understand it's purely a monetary decision. If I buy a Cat, I know I can get a decent resale out of it (assuming I take care of it). I'm sure JD is similar to Cat in those regards too. Not sure about Komatsu. For the video on the two stuck D11's... well, I'm pretty sure all those tow straps they use probably cost more than my whole budget for a farm dozer!!!

  11. #11Puffie402021-10-18 00:45

    It's not unusual to see a D8 or D9 in farm auctions on the Canadian Praries. You may think the size of the machine may be ridiculous, but that size of machine has some pretty good advantages on the large fields they have to work. Often times, when it comes to projects like land clearing or field grading, the larger the machine, the less effort needed to get the job done. Undercarriage wear on field work is not as bad compared to mining, so a set of tracks can actually last a lot longer. There is also the tractive power that crawler tracks offer when it comes to heavy pulling jobs like deep plowing.

  12. #12Flat Thunder Channel2021-10-18 06:12

    I'm still working on convincing myself (and my wife) that I need a Dozer on my property. Pay no attention to the lack of space or need to own one. It's just plain fun! All shenanigans aside in the states a smaller unit might be more economical. They are easier to move without oversized load permits and big rigs. I like the D5G machines. They capable powerful yet small enough to move with a medium duty rig and trailer setup. I am on the lookout for a steal on a RGN trailer just in case a big machine comes available that I have to have! Sshh don't tell the wife haha

  13. #13PEVO2021-10-18 12:43

    Yup i can ck. off all those boxes for a "farm" dozer. My D4H is wore out. But it runs, just spent $2500 on injector pump overhaul. UC is about 70 gone. Waiting for winter to drop all the leaves of the overgrowth to start cleaning about 15 or so acres. No hurry no timetable...just go out and play in the pasture 2-3 hours at a time. PPL ask why not get a contractor to clean it up vs. buying a wore out money pit and spend less in the long run. But No fun in that. i can always sell it for what i have in it. Since i bought it 3ish years ago, used prices have gone up...and i see less used units on the market. My first dozer, so im wrenching myself too. Nothing like on the job training. wife thinks im crazy.

  14. #14DMiller2021-10-18 19:05

    Yellow iron is a mind disease!! We have to have it, then have to work on it, spend money after bad money on it and still work on it, maybe get 1/3 duty time between working on it!!! Been there, can attest to the addiction and I am a Survivor after selling my own.

  15. #15Willie B2021-10-18 19:11

    The price is amazingly low! That said, sometimes purchase price is only the beginning. I remember being awestruck first time I saw one! I didn't know they made dozers that big. I'd buy one in nice condition in a heartbeat. It'll do two days work in an hour.

  16. #16.RC.2021-10-19 06:37

    I have always found the prices people pay in the US for dozers is usually far lower then my part of the world. In fact people make money out of buying second hand dozers in the US and shipping them here and reselling. This old D7G just sold today, it is a direct drive as well. About US$75 000, complete with final drive leak. https://www.tvaa.com.au/auctions/99...rack-Dozer-(NB:-LH-Final-Drive-Oil-Seal-Leak)

  17. #17LCA0782021-10-19 07:53

    Yikes! IMO, that's a hefty price that old girl but that means at least 2 people wanted her (takes at least two bidders to drive up prices during a standard auction). Yup. Good old Supply and Demand at work here. It's my theory that in the 80's and into the 90's, the US economy was booming and we were building construction projects at a significant rate across the country. The well-built machines purchased new by the construction firms back then have trickled their way down to farmers, ranchers, and hobbyists like me. If there wasn't a solid economic expansion in the last 1-3 decades in your region, then used equipment will probably fetch a premium today. Add in the emissions, electronics, lower emphasis on over-engineering, etc issues on later model equipment and you get into even a worse price squeeze for well-kept older equipment.

  18. #18LCA0782021-10-19 07:58

    I'm sure I got bit by that bug. Joining this forum and looking at everyone's machine porn pics doesn't help either

  19. #19DMiller2021-10-19 18:42

    I STILL look at Machinery Trader a few times a week, I get to run loaders at work so get the itch scratched a little there, then the expense reports from the boss as to UC or a major engine repair, I step back a few more feet from the machines!! myself I would DEARLY Love to have a 963 B , Full Cab/ROPS, preferably with a 4/1 but a standard bucket would be fine and at least 40% UC Life left.

  20. #201693TA2021-10-20 06:32

    Yup. Some of the exact same reasoning I havn't an iota of concern with purchasing an 11B Fiat-Allis machine. For the use I will give it, the excellent mechanical condition and maintenance given over the years, on top of "solid" engineering employed within older designs, I'm hard pressed to see anything negative. Well all that on top of liking Allis-Chalmers in general and being a 1975 build, was still Allis-Chalmers engineering.....

  21. #21DMiller2021-10-20 07:08

    Were built well, but one substantial failure will take it to scrap, just too few pieces to keep them moving now. Coming onto fifty years old and forty out of production.

  22. #221693TA2021-10-20 07:54

    Isn't that "Nuts" in itself? I remember well the new dozers lined up in the yard and along the fences along both Sixth, and Stevenson drive like it was yesterday. Some orange, some yellow. You're right about parts for both the tractor, and engine it seems if trying to "work it". My uncle and I offered support for older machines for quite some time and know where a couple of parts tractors are, so hopefully enough to keep going for as long as I'll need a tractor.

  23. #23epirbalex2021-10-20 15:30

    Its possible to keep a machine going almost indefinitely with wreckers , cheaply as well . But do you have the room ? Alright if the dozer is not relied on for full-time income .

  24. #24DMiller2021-10-20 18:10

    I kept my 7G alive for close to 9 years with a Donor.

  25. #251693TA2021-10-20 21:15

    Yes, I have room but need to move more of my important "stuff" so it can remain indoors when not being used. One of the parts chassis I know of was put down for a shot undercarriage and no available parts but the engine was utilized in another tractor. The transmission was manual shift and was worn out. When it would no longer hold tracks under a slight turn, it was parted. Not really certain how much remains. The other is a power shift that the engine let go from neglect. The trans remains in this tractor as do some rollers which are good from appearance. This machine has dual top carriers so older than mine and branded Allis-Chalmers HD-11B where mine just 11B, and is a 1975 build. Otherwise they are very similar. This one I remember well being used near daily but it's been out of service for 20 years I know of.