decided was time to at least get the old gal prepped and under controlled atmosphere. In the ahed now just awaiting phase two. Transmission change first, tie up some loose ends while in that hole then IF that works well back in the hole, hard nose off radiator comes out for either full cleaning or swap to spare, rails come off and if can get the energy the right truck frame off to work right final/sprocket.
When get it all completed will look more like the old donor I bought with sweeps type operator cage then I can reseal the trans I remove(Already have seals) palletize my spare remnants off the donor and pack stuff away for failures. Have some small engine oil leaks, have some minor work as swapping to single wire alternator, converting to 24V NG replace all electrical cabling, clean up floorpans reinstall shields on Idlers and sprockets and rail guides/rock guards, just a bunch of catch up work as is overdue. Get it clean enough it may get a decent bath and a Dupont Overhaul Treatment. The donor as got it:
Today short day Breakfast and BS time with my old crew of retirees then home to start playtime At least can see the box now Loads of small extraneous stuff in the way Have to remove all the brake hardware decel system and hydraulics on converter from here and drain it all.
After a BAD Day yesterday went out Deer hunting this morning, FINALLY, got to watch a small buck, six maybe eight point clear the North fence and start across our hay field, been alternating getting Fat Allis work, Honey Do's and gathering pieces from shed with deer season. Fence is right at 140 yds from my seated point, three deep terraces and fairly deep Brome Grass, let him move down where he was stretching his stride and I lined up a lead to L Fr Shoulder, just as I touch it off he either stumbled, stepped Down to backside of terrace head, whatever and then Off to the Races from the noise. Set a few moments, NO noise as far as death rattles or brush kicking so walk up to where pulled the trigger, NO Blood, Found the hoof prints, found the point where jumped the hay field and then West end field fences Still NO Blood. No doubt I fully missed. Back to more boring stuff, I did yesterday gather up the loose iron and many of my to be used pieces. I also have what is presumed as THE Last known to exist Sprocket/finals shaft seal for 7G, 6G and 11B series tractors. One complex POS that does work when installed correctly. And of course the resealed trans sitting awaiting install.
Left the wildlife to rest as it is Sunday Got over being mad at myself so back in here. FA is now a pile O pieces, oil in floor and a mess to do some cleaning on. Good place for a break. The reason for the massive hole is Contortion and Agile do not reflect upon my physique any longer!! That last one should leave JY with indigestion!!
Naw I can handle the Stag. Not my first choice lol but it’ll do!
LOL Had to get a dig in!!
I purchased seals to reseal the now spare I just pulled, will see how well the OE box does with the new seals in it before go that far. The removed box did as expected, air whistles thru every point that oil should be retained. Explains some of the trans oil rapid heatup rate. Now to dig out the installation gaskets and seals clean it up some then reassemble. Will not get a full bath until proves out.
Gonna Fess up, did NOT get the deer I was seeing, evidently My shooting is back to CRAP!! Had two GREAT aspect shots at him now known as the Grey Ghost, last look at him was a defined eight point. Missed BOTH Times and with two Different weapons, KNEW it was I SUCKED BAD. Season was over yesterday, so went out on the deck at 6:20am and as the sun rose watched that SAME deer moseying thru the Brome field I had taken BOTH shots at him in. Best guess was at roughly 100-130 yards both shots, on the move but not excessively fast, so after second miss as I cursed all the way back to the house dragged out a old piece of plywood I had up sighting in a .22 last year, walked off roughly what I had been shooting distance wise and only kept one of three on the board 2'x3' and that one was low left, first weapon missed with came back out, four shots Two on sheet, Low Left, definitely 'Pulling' the shots. Back to Practice Practice Practice!!!!!
Box is in, got as far as finishing up Trunnion and got tired of standing on my head. So far a good day should be able to finish this tomorrow and test drive/leak checks. Yesterday was looking at Seat, made up panels for both arm rests and a new seat back, took those and bottom cushion to local upholsterer for repairs, took both tractor seats and refurbed one base, will get better seat belt system added to it as well.
Well today was a Battle Royale, all the extraneous stuff back on and in, dropped a few bolts had to Up Down Up Down most of day as well stand on head time. Got it refilled as finished up only necessities in operating area not even floor pans and lit it off. Pump derived suction relatively quick, No leaks noted, cycled shifter with brakes applied all good so drove out to the Driveway down the hill. Shifted well and solid Lo to HI Forward, seemed a little sluggish once or twice but not as once was, shifted up to Lo reverse and then to Hi rev, all of a sudden stopped liked set brakes. Back to Lo Rev and moving good, shift to N and STILL IN Lo Rev. CRAP!! Tried all positions, clutches work as supposed to just locks up except for Lo Reverse, have a hard failure something I missed on assembly, bad/stacked clutch plate, bad bushing or thrust bearing something Physical as will not release from LO Reverse ever. Did note trunnion stops in any other gear and when in reverse or while still had forward stall on converter is around 1500rpm on a 1750rpm engine. Seal did the trick in the shifting now have to figure out this hard fault. At least BACK inside shop, where can reseal the Other monster and reset it then open this Can O Worms and figure out this fault. Took wife to dinner, said screw it until can get seals in the spare then will beat on it again.
Think I am going back to bed and NOT get up until after April. Got my OTHER Allis out, had to apply Block heater last evening to get to start this morning(COLD Natured) and dumped our burning barrel in the typical ditch. Brought it back to shop so could fill and touch off the barrel then go to move the old 180 Back down to the barn, No Start. Will NOT crank, amps drive over gauge limit, starter squeals but no turn. Put a wrench on crankshaft to verify NOT locked and is fine, try start again, starter(LUCAS) locked tighter than Dick's Hatband. W T F.
AHHHH......the memories of my time with a Fiat-Allis dealer.
You said it all... "LUCAS"
LUCAS, Despise their components, but alas, Allis did not have a Delco series on the 180s except Gas Engines. Did NOT care for Lucas on the Brit machines either that my Dad and I had the dubious distinction to have worked on. Old one is OFF, not locked but dead short in winding, was still Heat Hot when took it off, replacement is ordered.
Second trans is cleaner than was, clean enough to get into now.
Would like to see some pictures of the internals once you break it down. Are they complicated ?
Not Complicated, just Confusing!! Single Actuators for Two ranges F or R, will get this apart then explain. Will start here as to that front Cover, are Two Collector Heads Top and Bottom shaft ends, there are Two oil ports in each of these Collector Heads, top one fed thru drilled riflings, the lower by tube or hoses to shift the ranges Lo or Hi. Shift control valve mounts to opposite side in photo(Aluminum tape Visible). The large head in the cylindrical area is the Suction Strainer position for the Steering and the Trans pump suctions, that is fed off a Second stage on the trans pump drawing from Main case and Final housing scavenge zones. Is a real Prick to get out to clean.
Do you have a starter shop nearby? New replacement sometimes you get the same problems, if a shop can work on what you got maybe they can see the problems and make improvements, I don't know. I just took our local shop the starter out of our 1970s Cat fork lift, they seemed all apologetic that it cost like $200 to fix, they seemed to replace almost every component including the armature and housing, and they turned it around in one day, I was very happy.
Lucas are the Oddball. Used to be a Shop in Wentzville that would work them, the owner retired and no one picked up the business, next up is Jefferson City, that shop will inspect Delco units but if is beyond small parts decline the time investment and refer to exchange program units. Last up is KC, is a Starter shop that will look at and work Lucas, they state up front NO Guarantees as the parts are now Korean and are generally iffy at best for longevity. Last Allis I swapped a starter on was a 190 in Salem MO, estimate to repair was $165, he bought a New one thru CNH dealer for $127 back then, core was left at the shop with the inspection fee. This one is a direct bolt up and likely built of same parts, $145 NEW.
Our starter and alternator shop closed a couple years ago, couldn't compete with the price of new components. Although I personally preferred them rebuilding my old unit to a cheap new import starter.
Nobody rebuilds around here anymore... even a few of the big names I've seen mentioned on HEF sell the same cheap import items I can get from ebay or direct from china... of course they slap their label on it but it's still the same crap
Our shop goes back to the 1940s but I think the old starter and alternator business was drying up so they diversified a little. They sell a lot of car batteries of higher quality, do charging system diagnosis in the yard (always did that) and rebuild and repair all kinds of motors and related stuff. They also work on well pump systems and also work on giant old motors that may be in use in some mill or whatever. Keeping with the times and all that.
I know there is a shop here in jackson but I’ve never used them and so far haven’t met any one here that has
Today was a little better than last two.
The way these transmissions shift is in this mess. The large aluminum hub is actually a Hydraulic Cylinder with the trans shaft the piston for the cylinder. The clutch packs reside in place and the drum is oil shifted one end to the other for different ranges, floating at center is essentially N on Both shafts. This is why I suspect something stacked in the Lo Rev Clutch. Gears float on shaft with External Hubs, internal Clutch hubs spline to shaft. And bag of Cylinder seals, end collector seals. Old O-ring hard as rock and flat faced, minimal if any true contact to Cylinder wall.
9112 E.Marginal Way... Blanchard Electric is still doing it. They used to just rock. https://www.blanchardelectric.com/index.php/about-us/11-about
That transmission clutch assembly looks like it came out of an old Hough Payloader! Did a few of them back in the day! Trying to remember, were they a Rockford built unit? Been maybe 30 years since I worked on on of those
Rockford supplied much of Allis needs
I remember there were a couple tricks to getting the aluminum drums off the shafts. Your's probably came apart pretty easy if the large orings were as hard and flat as you say. The large orings that seal the large diameter part of the drums if still somewhat plyable could get hung up in the snap ring groove. One trick we used was to remove the snap ring and push the two housings together to have better access to the groove and then find a piece of say 16 gauge insulated wire that just filled the snap ring groove but not enough to prevent the housings to slide apart with a little grease. The other method we used was after working on the first one was to purchase a spare snap ring and grind the ID down to the point it filled the grove but did not catch on the inner housing. As I recall the inner part of the snap ring groove was chamfered to let the oring pass un-damaged.
I'll have to double check on them, I thought the boss called them on the alternator for our 120 and they put us over to romaine electric... so the boss heads over there and takes the old one with him and comes back with the identical unit I had ordered off ebay the said made in china... and says they told him they don't rebuild these anymore or starters for the hoe... I suppose on really big motors and generators they would still rebuild and rewind but on the smaller stuff we haven't found much...
You are correct except not going back O-ring These had a .265 oring and nobody makes anymore Going Quad Ring expander to a teflon composite rub ring seal as used in current hydraulics. Makes up for the difference a .250 oring cannot. Are correct the drum has a bit of chamfer where the hat side fits in and that aids in compressing the expander.
Started reading this thread and thought it was myself with the deer hunting (my shots are hit the mark) and fat allis work. Customers final drive disaster till the sub zero cold passes.
Poor old AC has seen better days!!
Best thing about it, the new undercarriage. The end.
Both shafts resealed today and back in the case, gaskets cleaned off and front cover back in place. Then had to take a break as upholsterer local had my seat pieces done needed them out of his way. Tomorrow reseal Collector heads and reinstall input bearing/gear.
What did ya use on the Master Pin? Replacing sprocket or oil leaks? That may end up as to how I access my Right side Final and sprocket shaft.
Exothermic torch. Burn out the center. If I cant find another one I'll just cut one on the lathe out of some cold roll. Got a really bad crunching noise and clunk from the final. Was lessened after I loosened the fiddlestring track but still there. No pieces in the drain pan but it hasn't moved 500ft since the noise started. As to taking off the track frame no way did I want to dig into the 2 taper fit bushings that hold the loader frame to the track frame. All the hardbar bolts would have snapped off also. Dont mind snapped bolts but the 2 unubtainum taper bushings no.
I hear ya on the unobtainium pieces
As to the noise These were hard on pinion gears and bearings getting loose With a rear cover, drained and may be able to visual on the pinion
As far as a Master Pin, getting a basic pin from General Gear in Boise then have a Machine shop grind it down to Master Dimension and mark the head ends. Be better than Cold or even Hot Roll bar stock.
Fully assembled not certain that what is wrong in the other one is also not wrong in this one but will soon find out Have all day tomorrow then have to take a break Starter should be here for the 180 for Friday work and get the work done I have for it then have our Family get together Christmas on Saturday May not be on the old girl until early next week and have snow supposedly coming
Long day already and ready to stop, Boxes swapped replacement hanging on four bolts. Confirmed hydraulic side shifting in bad unit Will get to later
My other PITA
Starter went on after trip to Doc office and store for/with the wife, while working put a battery charger on the two group 31s one at a time. First one started at 12.6/7 floating, charged up to 13.6 and settled back to 13.2 when done, second one started at 12.0, was NOT happy to see that low but during charge was doing well getting to 13.2, then charger safety shut off and the voltage showed 9.7. Damn cell opened up right then and there. Another $150 but done, back blade hung for snow duty and back in barn. Cranks like no tomorrow.
Great to hear it cranking fast!!! yeah the last batteries I bought didn't last long it either... like they use more recycled crud in them that just makes for an inferior product these days
We live just off the Lead Belt Grandfather actually worked in the mines Are few mines withdrawing lead ore anymore where most batteries are just recycled lead from bad ones.
Am currently avoiding the women(Wife and Sis In Law), the kitchen looks as a bomb went off with food either prepping or cooking everywhere. I asked the question, as to who was to eat all this and got the look. They seem to ignore the fact WE as adults do not eat as when in our twenties or thirties, the SIL grandkids eat like birds a spoonful here or there never full plates and about half goes to trash. Made all their childhood favorites candied nuts candies in general and at least three of four grandkids do not do sweets SIL herself is type 2 diabetic. Every year the same, a couple hundred bucks worth of food and much ends up rotting in the fridge for a few days to get thrown out. We do not have a poor feeding program in our little town to donate or to share. I try to remind them each year but falls to deaf ears.
Good thing, looks like you got a little shot of snow and rain this morning, and more coming on sunday and monday. They are talking rain/snow here also on sunday night into monday, but I think its going to go north of us.
Much of it is predicted to run north of here, may see a few inches of crap but can deal with snow, it is the Ice I really do not want to see. Told the wife Ice comes on she calls in to work NOT going in.
Do need to drag out the chains for that tractor and get them ready as well.
Sounds like a good excuse to get some hogs!
Found you another patient... https://maine.craigslist.org/hvo/d/waterville-track-loader/7026329256.html
Could be a similar miscreant to mine Later model as lift arms are ‘Y’ shape where if could see the controls could tell if hydraulically actuated clutches or mechanical. The mechanical systems would lose release bearings or clutch packs would ’set up’ after not being released for a long time. Brake bands would wear and adjustment procedure not followed to get adequate effect Also had bearing failures that damaged steering components
DMiller, Swing by Syracuse on the way to pick it up and I'll ride along!
LOL!!
Snowy and just nasty here. Did get a little further but no heat in shop hands got cold was time to give it up for today. Trans pump and all lower lines on, Shift Quadrant back on, have fittings coming in mail IF gets here to attach shift tubes to bottom Collector head. Looks like 2-3" so far, NO Ice yet. Highways are a little rough around here but not bad, more to come in a little over two hours, likely 1-3" MORE snow, ice pushed off East and South. FYI I-44 is a Roaring Mess, avoid at all chance.
I told the guys to just stay home today. We got about 1/2" of sleet pellets this morning, thunderstorm with rain later, but not warm enough to melt the sleet off my deck. Sounds like tomorrow should melt it off. Trees are totally coated with ice.
Another round of additions, not in any hurry as still Ice and Snow on Drive, NOT taking the hog out on that. Installed the Brake Boots replacing the Junk was there, used Shock Stem covers, not the best choice but worked. Have completed thru Trunnion from Underneath, have two fittings coming that were Snow Delayed to finish connecting shift tubes to lower head so can refill. As tire of crouching or standing on head step off the machine and work on extras.
Right on!!!!! She'll run like new
Success Short test operate both ranges F and R back in shed dinner with Wife
Nice to see it back together again! Brand new seat too?
Rebuilt the seat, had the base cushion, needed the back and side rests. Local upholsterer made them up to my specifics, may not be perfect or right for application but better than what was in the machine. So far is all coming together.
So, is that 7 manual or power assist brakes? Power assist steering clutches--right?
Full power brake and steer. I have the brakes dialed OFF to as little boost as reasonable, got tired of severe cuts trying to just float a turn, also busted a Left brake shoe with the severity of Hit ONE TIME, not wanting to repeat that repair.
A little History, the 7G-b that followed these did NOT have Power Assist Brakes, still had Hydraulic Clutches but guess they had enough issues with the hard grabbing hard swinging shoe breaking these made. Likely the Smartest aspect on the G-b, the engines were NOT. Kind of wish it had been a G-b could repower to a small Cummins easier than In this app. The Iveco engines would change out pretty close to a 5.9 Cummins/Case engine.
I had enough wild hair(Almost Slick now) could find a G-b in a yard and commandeer the Hard Nose with radiator and engine attachment materials as well Converter then Upgrade this old beast. For now though and by wallet limits it remains a Standard old 7G. Have tried numerous times to find a full Brake pedal system off a G-b to convert this from Stick clutches to straight Pedal Steer.
I think we may have had this exchange before, being a 7 GB that my cousin had up here in Ontario, this machine being either a 73 or 74 model year & pedal steer. I remember sitting in the seat if this exact machine when it was practically brand new & salivating! He owned it till around 2013 I think it was & then shipped it off to the auction & then it went down in the states somewhere & hence this link of them offering it for sale a while after the auction. I think you mentioned previously that it would have had the Iveco engine in it. I remember my cousin saying to me at the time that it was new that it developed 114 Hp & weighed in at about 16 tons with the ripper...…. See the UTube link below of it.
That would be correct. Essentially same base chassis, all finals and running gear, Engine, converter, cooling system and cosmetics main differences. Gs and G-bs were being built at the same time for whatever reason Allis had. Came off the same line. My own is one of the Last S/N Gs 24475. The donor I have is only 20 or so off that so both built 73/74.
After Rails my be a consideration to set up a Grapple. The MP is a Heavy Useless waste of Steel, wondering if I can re-naganear that into a decent grapple without too much effort.
Should be a pretty straightforward addon... a cylinder or two and some good long pieces of something tough
That may be an interesting project...……..think I remember seeing pictures......the MP bucket was kind of a heavy lug wasn't it?
Major POS, pretty certain a few tons of too much and too awkward metal!!
That is an interesting contraption.... I wonder if you would be further ahead to sell that thing as a whole bucket and then fab a grapple from scratch... or from a shot regular bucket... don't know how in demand those things are might be someone willing to give you quite a bit for it...
ONLY seen two like it, one on another 7G in CA, that man took the heavy POS Off too, the other on a 955 on Here. He was getting some use of it when that massive mechanism FAILED explosively!! Do not know if he ever finished assembling it.
Hmmmm, maybe he needs another
If you need a bucket I have a bucket I took off my 955 sitting in the back.... good sized bucket missing a tooth but the pins and bosses were pretty decent if i remember right...
Have not heard from him FOREVER kb9tci over in IL. This was his luck with one of these: HeavyEquipmentForums
I also rebuilt the bucket off my donor it is the one usually hanging on it.
Wow...…..that looks a bit like a dogs breakfast!! May be better to start from scratch!
Oh yeah, the paperclips thread I hadn't seen it popup in a while... too bad you're not closer this thing will probably get scrapped like the rest of the machine sooner or later...
Should be a relative easy sell on CL or another Iron sales site, Many are getting/giving over $2k for one of these in ANY usable condition.
Our 410 had a much simpler arrangement for the clam. Although I can see where that style would be less angle for squeezing things out of it...
Nice looking 410g there Ronsii……...what year is it?
If I remember right... it's an 05... we put it on a barge headed north a couple years ago though... had 3500 hrs on it I think.
Just got a PM from kb9tci, still at it, his Ulrich is off as well and tractor still working!!
Spent morning down to barn and donor, rails have been unpinned quite awhile as I collected appendages to work on the runner. Used a com-a-long and chains to semi roll the rails after slipping out from under the derelict Likely 2.5-3 ton sitting on my pickup My farm tractor was NOT happy to lift these in. Gathered a few other odds and ends.
Shoes are built up ****, rails are Simmel and appear by measure and indications of wear as relatively NEW.
So it looks like someone just built up the one bar on the shoes to resemble dozer shoes? Not the best for turning, but offer better traction when pushing straight. At least they look better than the ones on my old 941! I pick away at building them up bit by bit as time permits! I will never replace these for the little bit I use this old machine......
That is correct Most actually have what appears to be old grouser or something as hard welded on Are a few, one in particular that was a dozer shoe been modified to fit and has mild steel welded on Have a few extra shoes here on six links I bought long ago for pins and to replace master links on the worn out chains, will scrape them up and set to replace the oddballs The shoes from currently installed rails will eventually get a two bar treatment. Back down this morning to see if can recover the lower truck rail guards and mountings
Almost forgot, the 'Mud Holes' are custom cut outs on these too. Gas Axe used.
Managed to slip the idlers (One is complete ****) the track tensioner yokes, and the rear outer rail guards off. Did get the track groups Off the truck. Opposite side of access door to shop is the Scrap pile(Not the bucket), in there are 74 lengths of 5/8" rerod I had cut down to make grouser extensions on the shoes still on the crawler, will likely find their way onto these rails shoes at far rear bar region, take some of the pressure off turning.
More aggression relief today Got these off Broke four bolts had to gas axe four Then flailed the crap out of them to get them off the frames Feel a little better
Today was back inside, blocked the lift arms even as no bucket need them up and out of the way. rolled the hard nose then snagged the generator. Good timing for this, radiator lower 1/3 caked up tight, generator bearings are shot. Test fit alternator, should work fine, damned bolt busters left me two stripped mount holes out of three, time for coils 1/2 USS. Ran out of Gas axe juice, tomorrow have to run to Union and swap O2 tank, do not understand the old hands, the pivot bolts for the nose are tapered, supposed to have a tapered washer on Backside for nut to pull up to, neither the Donor nor my runner had the washers, bought replacement bolts and nuts couple years back expecting this day, made up a set of the tapered washers to fit on reverse side and will need to build retainer brackets for nuts when get that far. Radiator is currently draining.
Getting into Nasty territory today, after Armstrong wrestling the radiator out which was way worse than expected, checked fan hub Not so good, close to 3/16 end play, started disassembly of that and stopped before destroyed it, cap plug on business end will NOT come out. Did get close to three Gallon bucket load of detritus from chin/ front motor mount region, fan hub and idler are off until get them torn down and repaired for play. Have a few small oil leaks need to close up to slow the accumulations of oily mud. Large bolts on either side thru frame are the nose pivots and will need gas axe juice to accomplish.
I see a little dust on the radiator...
Should just brush off. Maybe a little air pressure lol
That's not dust! it is a "protective coating" to keep the dirt from abrading the tubes and fins!
Maybe even a dunk tank
Am thinking Range Tub and several bottles Dawn dish soap in water!! Might take the edge off that!!
Maybe hang it from an eccentric wheel so it gets aerated for a few hours not too fast like a sawzall
Might be able to snag a Pump Jack from the Bitumen wells in IL out by the Family Cemetery!!, dip and lift!!
Today was productive Fan hub disassembled awaiting pieces Have a **** ton of small gaskets coming want them here before take any more down Went ahead and got ready to gas axe the nose pivot bolts, cleaned off a lot of residue so no fire and got the big adjustable wrench on first nut. It moved without aid so took that one apart moved to second one just as first. Five years ago using a impact and the same adjustable wrench Neither of these would budge, today they almost came off by hand WTH?? Angel sat on my shoulder today, will ask for support visit to Crane Operator and AU.
Today was another 'Busy' day, run for parts for Deere Mower, chase down some ordered parts, order more, get home to neighbor with a farm gate on a wagon, lower chain end corner rotted completely away. Asked if anything could do, so dragged a chuck of the cutaway shards from the Grain body out, welded a small patch to connect the tubes, for a little while longer. May get a year before the bottom tube fully rots away. So back in the shed, awaiting other stuff start considering where need to go with exhaust elbow. Currently have a 3" Sch 40 weld 90 on the way, will cut a flange to bolt up in place of the mess on there now. I inherited this bird **** pile, had it fall apart twice since owned and it is going away. That is but half of the rest of the day, this being the search started directly after Best ANYONE could tell, this is likely OEM, Is a T0448, have a T04B80 coming, this series interchanges to nothing and the ONLY Allis still in the records is for the 3500 inline six, pretty well identical in appearance, just not certain of the displacement values. Even Garrett has little information anymore on these.
All coolant hoses are off, local shop retrieving the pieces I ordered along with the little tube grommets for the fuel return line fittings. Gaskets all cleaned up and awaiting the MINNPAR order to arrive.
Sure am glad you’re getting all this fixed before I come get it!
Have had this discussion with others. I will scratch and patch and drag a machine along until ready to ship it off. It will be as right as I can make it for the next sap to own it where cannot say I left it a pile of smoldering rubble for a fee!!! See too much of that of people 'Selling' **** these days, paid a price for worn slick, wore it out further and want the dime back Plus change, NOT on my watch.
Showed up last night, know nothing of the company but at least Tested UK.
Today was busy work, cleaned off the rust scabs that used to be Turbo mounting nuts, cleaned off the garbage elbow assembly, Clock aligned replacement turbo and now need hardware to set it. Steel is coming to build the replacement elbow, Monday most likely.
These are additional:
You didn't forget to remove that tinfoil before installing the turbo did you? Might cause a problem if it's still in there!
No, removed just before sat that on there, was for Crumbs and chunks entry prevention only. TIG Tape, aluminum tape for sealing SS with gas inside, discard roll from years ago.
I think you should put the dawn on and let it soak, before i put it in water.
Just finished connecting up the Turbo lines, not liking the old Rubber Grommet tubes, these may get replaced to conventional hoses.
Well was working in shop getting aligned for turbo elbow and get a notification from FEDEX, Pkg has been delivered, at my Front door. Never heard a truck so go out and look, No package, look on drive, No tire tracks. Great Just Great, all my gaskets are in that shipment, some parts were Last On Hand so now what. So contact FE, get the automated POS, then move to a Human who sends out a Lost Package notice to this deliverer. Two hours later person from TN calls verifying not delivered, sends out info to driver that SUPPOSEDLY delivered, asked to give them until Thursday to locate. Great, just great. Between Delayed deliveries, extended time deliveries, and now lost delivery FE is not gaining much appreciation here.
Isn't all of this technology & all high tech communications just great??
Don't you have a nice new bar stocked with some fine whiskeys?
I hate it when a package, especially an important one, goes AWOL and the shipper hasn't a clue where it went. I've been down that road, it sucks. Especially for something hard to find like your seals. I hope they come through for you and get it delivered quick.
Just off the horn with the supplier, I received Last of on two pieces, will not have them to reorder, they are THE provider for these.
Already there.
I had a package disappear a couple weeks ago, same thing I was wondering where it was so checked online and said delivered front porch..... went out... wasn't there???? checked all over the place, out by the gate, down the fence line, by the neighbors gates.... nowhere to be found next day I'm getting ready to call and find out where it went - checked on line to get numbers and tracking info... and all the sudden it was back in tennesee somewhere so a few days later it finally showed up.
Problem with the idiots delivering this stuff is most use MAPS Directions, that puts them at the old owners house down the hill, he and I are not on terms but has answered me on Messenger that no package showed up.
Just off phone with FE, Customer Service is performed from ATL and Nashville so made the request the Columbia MO Office gather up THAT delivery Driver, bring them TO Hermann and Show me where that package was placed for 'Delivery'. The office Manager is speaking with that driver currently and is supposed to call me when that is completed. They are working to stem BAD reports on my part from hitting the Media, and YES I did say I was going there should this fail to produce results. Stated I wanted the Driver HERE Facing me to show ME where they placed these materials.
Have had trouble like that with UPS in the past. Claim package was delivered or "could not locate address". Well where I live there are about four houses in a row and around a 1/4 mile between each of them and no farm paths to confuse anyone. Think maybe they got new glasses for driver or maybe new driver as have not had those problems in a few years. I know that at one time if you entered our house number into Google Maps it would show as being halfway between us and nearest neighbors house so that might have been the problem. But then our house number is in four inch high numbers on top of mail box so that is not a good excuse! Hope they do find the package especially due to the last available parts situation.
Either whomever the Fedex moron delivered to, or the delivery person found the package. Was awaiting a call from the Distribution center mgr. all day, went down at around 2 and checked our USPS mail but none yet, wife just got home checked mail and pulled Fedex box up the hill. Not even been wet yet, thinking one of two possibilities, either the agent and the manager(Who was going to ride with driver today) found it and quietly dropped it off or the agent actually dropped it at the Post Office yesterday(Mail would have been gone by 9) or someone was feeling generous and hauled it out to our address as it had been misdelivered. Either way the ODD parts are in the box and Here, guess that means Back to work. PS already called Fedfks Cust Svc and told them has arrived.
Glad you finally got your stuff. Was thinking maybe was like the Seinfeld episode where Newman just put all the mail in a storage locker so he could knock off early Thankfully, UPS and FedEx good here. It’s USPS I get frustrated with...
Well pieces is parts And I now have plenty to frustrate awhile New aux gear lube line All the elbow pieces and the gaskets Added new grease tubes to WP and fan hub stub
Looks like you got enough parts to keep you busy through the snow and sleet friday. Supposed to be cool next week too. You'll have to crank the heat up in the shop.
Funny you should mention that... A number of years ago there was one ups guy we had at our other shop east of here that would check off boxes as delivered and stockpile them in his garage so he only had to make one trip a week out to the boonies where we were... He started getting complaints about what he was doing when people would track their package and wonder where it was.... when it said delivered!!!
Oddest activity of note, around 3:30, started seeing Fedex vans, THREE of them a GMC a Dodge Frtlnr MB, and then a Ford HiCap, all running all over back and forth around our little slice of nowhere. I suspect Turd delivery driver screwed more than just OUR delivery up. Last I saw not 10 minutes ago two of those vans were headed back toward Hermann.
Some of that may be amazon screwing with fdx, kinda like that here when I am working in the neighbors shop/garage I'll see amazon type rigs go past 5-6 times a day!!! And I hear they're back to using fdx after saying they were banning 3rd party shippers from using fdx...
That sounds like Fedex "SmartPost". It's a BS low cost option sellers use. The package is shipped Fedex for the first half of its trip, then handed over to the post office for final delivery. The really crummy thing is smartpost packages are used as truck fillers to top off loads. So your package gets a tour of the US while you wait. I get a email saying delivered. Then right after another email saying they failed to deliver. These show up when the package gets to my local post office. The post master here has gotten mad about the barrage of packages from smartpost without PO boxes listed and started returning them to sender. So I have to make sure to list the box number even when I think it'll be doorstep delivered because it might go smartpost.
Yup, had that, too. Then get the note in the mailbox that I have to run to town to pick it up. Ooo, Brownells....something fun?
Did not get that. Checked with PO here, they did not have a package thru FE for us yesterday I did Call them. Shipping was noted as "Front Door Delivered". Got a little further today, did not get to exhaust, going to have to reduce pipe size off turbo to be able to bolt up. 3" any radius overlaps bolt holes, back to square 1 with that, only 3" between bolt holes.
T Todays progress
I saw the brownell's also, and I know its something fun, doesn't matter what it is. I grew up about 20 minutes from their location in montezuma Ia.
While we're talking about Dmiller's projects, is that a old incandescent bulb I see peeking out of your light? I tried to get replacement bulbs for my old handscorcher a couple years ago and gave up. Are you destroying the planet by using those old energy wasting bulbs? And a better question, do you have a stash of the old drop proof incandescent bulbs I can steal from your shed when you aren't looking? And while I'm asking dumb questions, please tell me your shop clock is stuck on 12:00 because you can't figure out how to set the time on it, it can't be that you snapped the picture just after stopping for lunch.
Dan the man is quite observant! Lol. I have a stash of bulbs....they’re even rough service. Who in the heck notices the random digital clock way in the background
Now I know whose shop to raid..... and there's medical terms for people like me, they use lots of capital letters shoved together when they are talking to me about it, but its hard to pay attention that long. That and I'm so poor right now, I can't even pay attention.
I've been surprised by the things you notice in pictures before, but I was dumbstruck by this one. I had to scroll down to the picture, find the clock, scroll back up, re-read your question, scroll back down, and wonder how you even saw the clock let alone the time.
Why yes indeedie that is a Rough Service finger cooking 100 watter Have that one And one more I gathered up some time ago Used to have six but alas are down to two!! I get up 3:30-4 every day End up having to make the mutt go out then at some point before sunrise I am at it By the time on that clock I am done for the morning and have let the mutt(house puppy) back out generally ate lunch by 10:30 or 11 Have other doings also going on as yesterday had to get car serviced where I do not fit under do not have a lift and found it cheaper to have someone else do that and dispose of the mess My tractors trucks and other machines I will attend to, cars suck! Check the time stamp on this 2:45 and had to get up!!
Worked on inconsequential or so thought crap today. Straightened Hardnose bolt nut cages and readied them to install, then got gamey decided to tackle some weeping Eastman style quad ring seal 1/4" return fuel line leaks. Stack in the nuts TIGHT, hard as glass, damned near could not get the scratch pick down into the hardened rubber to break free from the nuts(6), FINALLY after near to an hour of fuel dribbling down block and making a Royal mess all out, installed new seals reinstalled tubes. Scraped the thicker gunk off Radiator support mount and reinstalled it with the engine fan blades. Need to reorganize over the rest of weekend, allow oil dry to clean up dribbled fuel, will probably complete dumping oil as already changed filter from engine while belly pan is off(already drained for this), May swing hardnose back into place just Not upright and leaving radiator out until have exhaust elbow on.
Tidied up a taste Was just too much to deal with and corners were creeping in together As well the reseal lines,
This one is just for CO
Yes......
I'm just glad you've got your clock working. Its the little things that mess guys up.
And parts is pieces is parts Exhaust actually looking better Until get hood on and verify position on hood hole Allis was a lot different Stack on hood is not connected to the engine Short stack on engine directs thru the hood stack.
This was OE
Looks like there is more than one way to skin the cat. Is that a 3" steel weld elbow? Standard pipe flange too?
You better have gotten a lot done today, it wasn't fit to do anything outside by me. 30 degrees and snow and sleet and rain.
2.5” elbow and pipe sch 40 Five inch dia 1/2” plate plasma cut flange I drilled the holes. Center hole 2.75” Cannot see it but is a guide sleeve that sits in the turbo throat welded inside the flange bore. Bunch of running today Trash day Had two more hoses made for instrumentation. Worked on exhaust
https://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/d/bergman-allis-chalmers-hd6g-trackloader/7045908087.html Only $2,500, you've almost got yours done, surely you need something for your spare time... They say it ran when it got parked. Bucket is already chained up for easy loading.
LOL!! Early 6G maybe a 5G, by stack and air pre cleaner most likely a two banger 71 series Driptroit No Thanks, this one is plenty!! As far as the FARR Dynacell type air cleaner on mine, have NO intentions of reconnecting the Pre Cleaner vacuum system, only used these for a few short years then went back to Round under hood filters.
Hood to stack align good Hard nose on Radiator in and so far no leaks turbo does not scream but not black fogging either New alternator is charging where now await a Indian Summer spell to walk it out of shop and Wash it down. Will post a Youtube short vid shortly
Know is charging as gauge reads flat center off, Vid is up
Looking good! I agree with CO from yesterday...…….this project is winding down...…...you oughta pick up that H D6G loader offered on Craigslist & get back at it!! It never hurts to have a spare loader around...…...
Yes, you should pick it up then fix it up... then if (when) you don't like it send it my way
Me no thinking so!!
Got wiring tied down, got last two instrument lines changed and replaced Fuel Pressure Gage with one off Donor, changed fuel filters like to NOT got the damn Secondary to vent off, fixed on floor panel mount and started sizing up the belly pan for repairs, has been caved in into contact with oil pan, That will not fly any further.
Might not be anything related to your Allis but wondered if you or anyone would be interested a couple Allis books I found out in the barn: Looking at the second page of the parts book appears to be that the engine these are for was installed in a Whitcomb Locomotive, says Class Service 90 ton Loco.
Really have little need, but may I suggest you access the Allis Forum, is a Classified section and a General Section where the Collectors will be looking. https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forums.html
Neat!!! I have an old buda engine for my sawmill but it's only a ~860 ??? CI 6cyl.
The three engines this book is for are 1742, 1879 and 2505 cubic inch engines that should be enough to power your saw mill! If I only had the actual engines I'd make you a good deal!
I'll see if I can get any hits over there, you a member and would it help to use your name?
Yes I am, same handle.
I love those old buda's mine had an issue with coolant unfortunately I need at least a liner and some gaskets, etc... for it.
Well still under 40 out but not frozen Cleaning day Not hot water but better than what had
Not pristine but cleaner, will be cleaning Belly Pan and spare Valve cover at car wash where can get away from Sludge and gravel, better soap, hot water, old radiator may make that trip too. MAYBE tomorrow as gonna be over 45 then can start rehab on pan and swap covers, never could stop this one from seeping. Once dripped dry, will install chin and grill, get to setting up jack stands for rails swap, UC work.
More to do today than last few, moved 6" Clean rock pile to leave room for next delivery, did a little rehab on the drive with what I could scour out of terrace ditches then back to Old Allis. Had salvaged a few Bolting bars off derelict so installed those inside the front frames for bolting up Belly pan and anything else that would wish to be added as screen for engine compartment sides. Allis did not thread many frame holes opting to this style of bar stock that could be more easily replaced. Installed radiator block fillers and grill then the Chin, looking more normal now.
That was yesterday sorry Forgot to hit send This was today Trip to carwash at sunrise removed maybe 30# off radiator and still needs more cleaning, first up valve cover swapped. Belly pan cleaned up, gas axe hacked the bent **** off and replaced. Still have to add bolting straps for access plate that also needs straightening.
Engine Belly pan At least flatter and room for oil pan Still have to weld in bolting straps
Radiator does handle easier now and angle brace on pan is full width this time round.
I like the pictures and watching the progress!
Today flailed access cover back to an angle added bolting ears welded a few other cracks & over-cuts Access plate is good
Might want to put something around the bolts to protect them from damage. Anti-seize would be a good idea to prevent them seizing too. Looking at the pics. of your engine, it would be interesting to see how they make up the injector lines. They need to be pretty precise.
Considered pipe Cups around them but afraid would get crushed into them, May add a short lip along edges of Access Panel. Ain't none too Perty but will do as a Belly Pan, better than what was there and all is only 1/4" materials.
Great progress! Belly pan looks good, dirt won't know the difference but your oil pan will be happier for sure!
On the Inside photo can see the rub indent marks of the bottom sump cover from the oil pan.
Today was enterprising Got on stands yesterday
Hope there is something other than the lift cylinders holding that boom up if you are working under it! Do I see a piece of angle iron on the right hoist cylinder?
C Channel And NO I do not take chances under raised arms no mater how high!!
Old rails bushing to sprocket was not bad, Snaking was a major issue. Shoes worn slick, just in general due with the measurement across four links 28 5/8" +/- or around 80-90% pin to bushing worn out. Master pin eyes on final link was beaten out so badly had to weld pins in place
One of the more major projects: Can see the wear on the outer rim of teeth from contacting last truck roller when was REALLY loose, sprocket nut had been backed off a LONG time, I managed to tighten it back up several years ago but only until bottomed on threads and then welded the nut retainer to the sprocket, Seal seeps but no running leak, just cannot stand to leave as is.
Oh.... you mean how high the arms are.... OK, thought you meant something else
I was kind of getting that idea but was not sure if what I was seeing was just a reflection or shadow.
Well as soon as phone recharges can post up today's work, both Tensioner yokes out and the seals pulled for a match up, Busted bolts in idler frames have been heated Red then have allowed to cool slowly, may get the energy up to drill them out next few days, soaked with PB blaster for now. Went to work on Right Truck, both upper rollers off, managed to remove nut on truck to loader frame bolt, that will be the bear as do not have a method to quality cut the frame and weld back as last seen done on the HD12G. May look for a hollow piston Portapower cylinder once get the plug out of the end of the bolt and figure what size threads.
Wow!!! you're making some great headway on this job
This is where I packed up for the day. Also had a trash run to the highway and snuck to the barn slung the chains on my 180 Allis rears. Memories or maybe nightmares of chaining up my truck in the 80s.
A little further yet today. Persuaded the truck frame cross member bolts OUT, spoke with JY, will try to organize a pickup borrow of a 60T hollow piston cylinder then build a 1 1/4" 12 tpi puller stud to remove the track frame to loader frame bolt then remove the four bolts retaining the rear frame support arm bushing so can lower to ground.
Additionally, Had to include the SNAKE!! Pics. End cap is off axle end and have removed the nut to pull the bearing, has been almost dry awhile so is a Defined GOOD Point in time to get this done. That one single truck to cross frame bolt has been out and is just snugged back in for now.
Nice progress DMiller. you will have to live another 60years to outlast your loader. Is there a purpose for the holes in the idler? I haven't noticed ones like that before.
Lighter for faster acceleration off the line!
Do not know why Allis did that Every unit of this era are done that way just casting sand release holes best can figure. Would make easier to repair than solid. Will be getting metal guards back on to protect the spokes.
I am glad somebody else wondered that too. Like why do they have spokes on the sprocket and idler. Were they trying to save weight?
Probably looked good on paper
Odd should mention, Allis went to a Sheet steel center and Segments on sprocket after this model, even had welded sheet idlers similar to Cat. yet retained the dirt shields for a time.
Have purchased a Used ENEPAC 10k psi hand pump, and a used Power Team 30T dual piston cylinder, should be here next week. Was explained as the cylinder is about all I can expect to fit in the confined space to pull on the bolt. Will still need to make a 1 1/4" 12tpi puller stud and hand nut to go on the bolt.
I expect to see that machine ready to load 20.000 yrds dirt by march 1st will it be ready?
I hadn't seen those before... I can see where they'd be handy for limited access
When it’s ready it’s coming to my place.....I bet it never sees 20k yards again lol. Forks or a grapple is what I see in its future.
That is a True statement. I will test it out here before it leaves as I still need a little work from it but then it is off to bigger better duty. As to that style cylinder the older OTC Hollow piston puller sets were all as this in years gone by. Used one many times until we wore them slam out as were configurable to pull, push, adjustable in length of travel all manner of purpose. 30T is low for much of HE work but I am hoping does well here.
Worked for an outfit once that had the 150T OTC version of that twin cylinder on the portable track press, D9G pins were absolutely no match for that kind of push. We used it quite a bit off the press too. I used it and a chunk of big I-beam to straighten the floor on a scraper that had been bellyflopped on a big rock.
New toys have begun arriving
Will likely make a guide pusher shoe to fit where the threaded one came out. Cylinder is used but at less than 1/3 new price so long as functions will be happy. Quite Compact for a 30t unit, had forgotten the compact size. Was delivered US Mail and placed in our Parcel Mail box!! Bar stock was a piece of 1 1/4" already had, NOT long enough.
Looks like someone modified that hyd. ram! At least on all the OTC twin cylinder rams we had there was a bolt hole between the two retracting springs that one has a notch cut out. Maybe someone did that to make setting up for some application easier. Should not be a problem unless you were using it with the ram hanging from those two bolt holes. The three sizes we had were 17, 30 and 50 ton models along with a large assortment of attachments for each size. Only thing we never had the track pin tools but had almost no need for them over the years. It might be hard to believe but in 45 years working in the quarry think I was only involved in changing tracks once and pads maybe twice. There were some dozers around the company but they never stayed in one place long, push around a little dirt for stripping and send to the next place.
Mr. Miller. How is that purple Predator welder/generator working for you? I also have one.
Saw the ‘mods’ when saw the cylinder in ads Does not affect the use I will have of it although as previous seller affects resale value, still OK for my uses as had never used the bolting holes in the past. As to the Predator, have had to replace Honda pulse fuel pump and all the gas lines, numerous batteries since bought it in 99. Still suits my needs some twenty years later as a field welder on the farm or as b/u generator during storm duty for the house. May need to sell it in near future as need it less and less where a dedicated LP powered b/u source would be more efficient.
Ive got a 100 tonner that is similar, except mine is a twin cylinder 2 way. I wonder what one like it costs now? Seems I paid around $2K 20 years ago.
This little bugger New is close to $1500 Today was machine shop work Dug thru my scrap pile had a stub of 1.250 so cut my test threads satisfied for fit to bolt cut a nut from a discard flange have had a while. Have a Spacer table to build but pretty well plenty of time.
BTW been soaking the entire assembly at least twice daily with Kimball TorqCB penetrant, may not help but cannot hurt.
Nice fit up and Kimball can
I guess I missed it, but why does that pin have to come out?
Track truck Stabilizer arm to rear of finals case pins on to loader frame here Truck needs to move forward to pull final shaft and sprocket. Most guys do not bother and cut frame ahead of last roller then unbolt the roller make repairs then weld that sub assembly back on Not trusting MY welds for this much stress. Easier/cleaner to try and remove bolt to fix as designed
Gotcha
Rather curious adaptation of a Centering Fixture, the tapered Sleeve is actually reversed in the diagram
Wow dmiller u really love that thing and thanks for all your info about the one I found I walked away from it
Not so much love the machine Essentially reliving where I started and seeing that a abused but viable machine is kept working
Would have to be here to see the Cussin the machine gets, on how mad I get when find More Fabricobbled crap someone COULD HAVE repaired Correctly prior but spent likely MORE time cobbling the crap up. Just irks me when machines are let get to a state or are abusively repaired 'Just to Get by' for a season or a few months as needed for Contract level work, and Yes I will patch my own junk for a few months until get the time or the opening to sit down and actually fix it as am doing now. Only so many hands(Me/Myself and I), so many projects and so much time can allot to each for each passing day/week/month or year. Worked hard during my days of not being paid so good, working two and three jobs to make ends meet or attempting to get ahead of the bills, finally thought was away from mechanic work when moved to the Nuke and BAM!! I buy stuff like this one and pass my days hammering out the bends and warps. Previous owner of my Donor tractor let it sit with plain water in the block froze and busted, wasted a good machine, tried to shovel blame on old components and failed miserably. His take on later style single lever control or foot pedal steering was less than desirable as well barely functional, been easier to buy 7G-B steering controls and replaced existing but did not do that.
Well here I sit, caught up for a bit. Got a stud turned out threaded for abuse for when Enerpac pump arrives. Cylinder stud and home made nut are under the tractor installed on the Bolt, just waiting. Would have a photo but Phone went dead as usual.
Finally enough battery 3” of 3” sch 40 spacer stud is 12” long 2” thrd one end 4” other, have another spacer 5 1/2” long waiting should it pull hard Still more pipe available
More bored and still anxious Got the right rail balled up and on a pallet for later maneuvering brought spare cinal shaft to shop Set old hard nose on trailer then rain set in.
So UPS arrives and I unbox the ‘used’ pump and line Well the line is definitely ‘used’ the pump which is replacing the one I paid for and UPS lost does Not appear ‘used’ Full on oil and clean Clear as virgin feet on pump no wear marks. Gonna have to give this ol boy a 5+ on this
Awful nice looking for a "used" pump. We had some of them manually operated pumps but preferred the one with the electric cord and little toggle switch!
I worked years back with one that was air over hydraulic with a foot pedal. It was pretty nice if you had air. Kinda looked like this:
Yeah, I got one of the import red air ones... is 1000X better than a hand pump in most situations... there are still a few times I will hand pump depending on what is going on and how precise things need to be.
When poor have poor ways hand pump is all could do!!
Oh I hear ya' I worked with the same hand pump for many years... bu when I had to start pulling in a number of bushings on the excavators I started looking around and found one of these for about a hundred bux I couldn't refuse it
Good news and not so good. Stud is holding up so far, had close to Max on it for OVER an hour after correct a few leaks, still not budging, Heated the Frame Eyes smoking hot, wailed on it with 4 & 10 pounders, NEVER tried to budge. Down to suggested point, Hack frame and do it 'The Easier Way'. Just HATE that thought but no other option at this time.
I did like the hand powered pumps for installing bushings you could have a good feel for when things started to bind where the electric one would be going a little fast. Also one problem with the electric pump was the toggle switch was spring loaded to off in on direction and steady on in the other direction. Once or twice had someone pushing down on the switch see something was going wrong and they yanked hand back and accidentally shifted it to steady on! NOT GOOD! I always told guys to only use tip of index finger to push down on switch. That way if you jump back 95% of the time you would not accidentally shift it to full on!
I like the air powered one for 'straightening' things last thing was a dump trailer that 'got loose' and flipped (not mine or me) main damage was it bent the back doors apart a couple inches... so I put a chain around the tops and put the pullback ram on it and let my foot do the work I could bend it in then release while looking at how much more to 'bend' then put the pedal to the metal again made quick work out of that job!!!
Well likely today to start hacking thru the frame to cut away tail of Truck, end roller and bolting block came out no issues. Not a grunt off bolt at all. May salvage Sprocket ring off Old one and replace the work out rink on the replacement shaft while at it. Will have to cut away a section of the reinforcing strap down side of truck to get to the base frame, will drill and tap thru that cut out as a Welding clamp fixture.
Opted for a straight cut Will use roller bolting block and the outside reinforcing band cut out for alignment clamps Welding not exactly stupendous but this is a no pressure load region Should be fine with what I can manage. Was not going to make much longer.
Got a taste further today. After the rock work Sunday I took a day off to leave the sore settle down, then got into a mood early this morning. Manhandled this into place, and is fixed in place currently. Have to disassemble the outer support repack that bearing and get the frame section prepped to weld back in place.
Took outer support apart, Was not shocked to find issues. Had the unit off the grenade, bearing OK but seal package destroyed so off to the derelict. Out of Four outer support assemblies pieced together a good one Letting adhesive set up on the steel seal to the internal gasket then can set to stub end.
End support fully assembled this morning, then went to cutting the weld Vs and set the rear horn back on the stub. Have Fish fry to go to tonight, wife gets home at 3 so figured time to stop, will still be there awaiting as weekend finishes out. Have two appointments Mon and Tues otherwise may get somewhere on this by then.
Bolt & weld both I'am assuming? Looking good!
Rear roller straddles weld Allis uses a bolting block inside frame. Once weld flanges will pull side plate and weld face Then grind flat reinstall side plate and weld it leaving the bolts. Low stress region from what I come to understand outer support to eliminate final shaft flexing.
Would be nice to have Mig for a root pass. Could fill the gap and get full penetration easier. I'm guessing you're going to preheat it a couple hundred deg's.
Gonna preheat with rosebud just not to color My Miller 210 is a wire feed .035 wire in it and will be closing the gap with that Likely finish 7018 off my suitcase unit. Outer strap will get MiG’d as cleaner.
After I read that post from last night, I thought Miller had a Miller!!! No pun intended!
Was even considering completing all with MiG. Less risk of inclusions.
MIG root you can do downhand. 7018 fill and cap with good cleaning between passes would be best in my opinion. MIG may be cleaner but has more chance for lack of fusion or incomplete penetration at the toes of the weld.
Had considered that so will stay with first thoughts. MiG for base root, 7018 to finish.
In short circuit mode that is one of the problems especially on mass produced stuff where the welders are less experienced. Weld looks good but closer inspection shows it's just sitting on the top or only has fusion on one side.
Well, another week of blowing black boogers!! Made the root passes Top and bottom MiG, followed with 7018, laid in the welds from root to fill across face all 7018 then cleaned up that and the lower flange(for roller) reinstalled side plate welded it ALL 7018 stick. Not the prettiest welds but I am comfortable with what I completed. Roller is back up, upper rollers back on and rear Rail Guards from Donor are on. Decided ENOUGH for today, Beer-thirty
On the top in the last picture you could put 2 or 3 passes side by side instead of a weave.
Was the final pass, root, a single, double then three side by side. Finished that way on most of my wide welds no issues in the past. Center face weld was root, a wider single, a double row then ground down to flat. All the reinforcement face welds were at least three passes, used Well over 5# rods. Know I am not a production welder, thus the welds you see, just a Old Grunt Mekanik that welds on machines as a secondary operation. The underside
Shouldn't have any problems. I'm glad I have a newer 931B without the outside support for the final drives. Would have liked to put new segmented sprocket hub on but didn't have a puller to get sprockets off so welded sprocket rim on. Don't put a lot of hours on it but the sprockets were Berco and didn't have the holes/bosses like the originals for bolting the 300lb. counterweights on. They were cut with a torch so harder to get the bolts to stay tight. I used some Loctite but one still came loose so I torched the bolts off. I don't need the counterweights with the hoe on but could sure use them with the hoe off, especially with a 4 in 1 bucket. It's on the to-do list but not a big priority right now.
Have my days wish had awaited a Cat Had this two years when a 943 needed UC came up If had not had this could have had it for $10800 And know the guy that got it Sweet machine
A little further where using up pieces in floor getting in my way!! Replaced the Left Idler outer slide bracket and drilled/helicoiled the inner for the tin guards, got the lower rock guards hanging. Have to peel frozen bolts stubs from the remaining backing plates off the donor tractor and swap both the right side idler slide brackets, seals are replaced on the track tensioner pistons. Pretty much giving in on repairing the mounts to rehang the center guard/guide assemblies.
You didn't retire......you just switched jobs!!
Actually went back to my first career just my own crap not someone elses.
That's worse because you're paying for everything.
In more ways than One!! Uncle Arthir and I have been having DAILY conversations, usually Screaming at each other. I am wore slick from years of less than adequate tooling, I am NOT helping matters currently as much of my tooling is as worn as I am. Hate to think it but likely my last BIG Project at least last Big Machine project..
I know all of the Ritis boys, and Athir, he de wurst of them all!
I knew a very good welder who had Iritis. Rare and the Dr's. told him if he had any eye problems to get to the hospital immediately to have it checked. Just like if you suspect a welding flash make sure there's nothing in your eye. I just read there's something called Kawasaki syndrome that can be a cause for Iritis. He rode dirt bikes all his life but never a Kawasaki. https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/i/iritis.html
I resemble about half the conditions leading to iritis!!! Left eye is better than had been for thirty years, still cannot see well enough to weld with by itself(as in ALL Positions!)
Well right side is assembled, now to surgery of Rear guards to make them fit as all bent to hell and gone. Spent a good thirty five minutes flailing on the bent up RH tins to get them straight enough to suit.
A little side note as to reinstalling the shields. The old Allis style seal systems were not designed for life scrubbing thru dirt and abrasives thus they tin shielded the journals and seal packages. All too many would have a bolt break off or bend one and off they came, little did they realize that gone was worse than bent. This from a couple of old hands I have been around from Cook Tractor at Fulton MO. The solid rear sprocket center units and solid side idlers were set up a little differently and did not need the severity of protection.
Moment of insanity today. Got the farm tractor forklift out and rolled up the last Old rail. Got that impatient wild hair a flowing to the breeze and shoved the replacements in under the 7G. It is Now liquid Analgesic time!!
Can honestly state it hurts to type currently!! And I still get to spend time with the 20# later this week.
Going to be a Quiet week, may not be back on the crawler for a week. Have a cousin coming in from SLC on Thursday, late flight in, spending weekend and figured I best be Un-Injured or at least not bloodied awhile. Been helping clean up house, organize some stuff for her visit, swept out garage, washed the Scooter, picked up a bunch of detritus fall out in the yard and am thinking may have to frigging MOW!! Courtney is her name, Uncle's boy's oldest daughter and hate to say, DEVOUT LDS Church member. I don't hold it against her anymore than she my being Catholic!!! She would like to see(Never been to MO or IL) where her roots are, GrGrGr Grandparents were from a spot in the road not thirty miles from us Here, Bohunks from old world Bohemia(Now Czech Republic), last name of Havelka(pronounced Hovakey). Has heard stories from my Uncle her Grandpa but not much to put two and two to. Wife's car gets serviced tomorrow, also have some stuff at Washington MO to pickup while there. Tuesday have Doc appointment and figured Wednesday a wash.
This is Court a few years back(the one on Right). Been married twice, she is supposed to elaborate what happened to those two this visit.
Well fired off a run of texts to cousin for aligning at Lambert airport all was quiet Got there twenty minutes before flight arrival Landed unloaded and no cuz. Texted only find still at home She kinda forgot to let me know thought about it then got overloaded and forgot. So on way home truck gatorback in highway another truck flips it into my lane got car ahead of me and the plastic **** valance under the front bumper on ours. Grand to fix just happened to get $1000 deductible on that policy. So today full of **** and vinegar got really mad and got some ahead. Pins are in both sides but ran out of steam on second one, more beatings tomorrow.
Sounds like a nasty highway experience! Looks like the replacement tracks are off the donor machine? Quite the lugs on the shoes...…….great for traction, but tears up more when turning.
Was ugly on the road Could see that tread face flipping to a windshield but slid off the road Grousers were add ons by previous owner about 3/4” above old tri bars Have a load of old 5/8 rebar may end up on shoe heels
BTW, the square steel and old rail master pin is Helper number 3, Me Myself and I were a little busy swinging the 20#.
Old monster looks a tad better with shoes back on Gonna look at the torque output seal tomorrow as still on stands, after that will come off those, get pans back on and tracks tensioned. As whooped today!!
Currently need access to a old school simple hydraulic press, try to straighten up the rear guards. May get on CL or Fleabay and see what I can come up with. Have a good 30T cylinder, may even construct a jig from leftovers and see what can accomplish.
Busy early this morning, Worked on Converter seal, got that all back together and trunnion back in, set trans belly pan then helicoiled one engine belly pan securing block got the machine off stands and have it sitting on its own legs belly pan on but need an additional four 2"- 1/2"SAE Bolts to finish that up. Wife Duties again this evening at local Eagles Hall then back to it tomorrow see what can finish up, get it outdoors and tracks tensioned after cycle them a few times F-R. May get the two operating cages in and start that mod work. Misting nasty crud weather out currently so machine sits indoors.
Test drive good after rails tightened just made a rumble strip driveway I had to clean up!! Rails be aggressive seven ways from Sunday! Still some leaks but not continuous Not sure of what that is
Tractor and cover cage back inside
Busy today, did a little rock rake grading of our drive for Lake Controls between showers then got into building rear saddles for Cage. Will get trimmed once the cage is welded on to them.
The front Horns will be treated a little different, going to Bushing them with a thru bolt and end plate caps to allow movement. 1/2" steel pipe just fits the holes. Rear legs of cage will be shortened 4 1/2".
Oh nice! 4" channel or 5" for the brackets?? All OSHA approved, right??
4", trimmed out to fit inconvenient spots. OSHA would HATE Me!! Is a Brush Cage not a ROPS. LOL!!! I do with what I have!!
A good operator would never need a ROPS anyway Great project D Miller !
OSHA wouldn't hate you.... They love to find stuff like that
Exactly, LOVE to fine the crap out of these!! Is a Love/Hate relationship and ONE Sided!!
I'd get those grouser extensions on the shoes trimmed off ASAP if it was mine. Too much risk of tearing rollers & idlers up if you forget and do a handbrake turn with the tractor, and that's not counting the extra strain on the drive train when the shoes grip at the time they should be spinning. Track loaders weren't designed for aggressive traction shoes unless they were Cat 983's .........
Know the issues with them, treating it gently for now. Still have the shoes off the old rails where they may end up 2 bar rebuilt and on these rails. Shortest replacement Grouser weld on stock available is a full 3/4", not much different than these. 5/8" would be perfect.
If you want grouser bar check out Dura-tuff. Not the cheapest but definitely the best. The only bar that Cat dealers will use for re-grousering.
That is where the 3/4” height came from Close to $850 for 114 15” new bars Have access to poor mans grouser stock at the right price ‘Cheap’ 5/8” rerod offals.
If had the desire and finance would add a plasma unit and move each cut off to the shoe heels
Have access to poor mans grouser stock at the right price ‘Cheap’ 5/8” rerod offals.[/QUOTE] If you add a strip of 5/8" re-rod to "double up" behind what's there already, you'll never wear it out, the little bit you use that machine. I remember in my early days, the place I worked at built up the grousers on a 450 Case with 1/2" re-rod & that lasted a long time, even though that machine was working about steady. Not as tough as grouser bar, but even still takes quite a while to wear down.
Used to add 1/2" to old Deere 350 and 450 dozers or the x55 loaders almost as a hardfacing tip to keep them active until chains were worthless for those that used them in a great deal of rocked yards,
I worked for a demo company back in the 977 days when we loaded and ground the wood with the machine. Grouser bar worked real well in that application and beyond the removal of concrete we didn't do dirt work. It would however reduce a wooden structure to a more compact transport friendly dimensions in a hurry.
I gobbed some weld on the pads of my old 941 & it actually wears quite well. Only put minimal hours on it each year & as with DM I will never wear them down & if I did, just gob some more weld on. It actually improves the traction quite a bit where icy!
That poor baby sure needs some shoes!! Probably get as much traction off the bolt heads and those appear MIGHTY Thin too!
Weather warmed some, got this far before rains hit tomorrow. Had a Snail Trail backing back in, dropping trans belly pan Monday.
Looking good! Now to get the bucket on & get at er!!
Well got different mounts configured It will not fall off on its own accord now.
Very good...…….that fab work/welding looks almost as good as mine!! Gr8 bolts too, right?
Oh Yea!
Will work front sets tomorrow, then off to the leaks where ever that takes me.
Nose end finished, even took time to prettify them and rears. And FINALLY got that sonsabugger leak to show out at the Hi reverse external shift tubing. 3/8 heavy tube with JIC flare and backup sleeve, was two+ snug threads from tight and in a Bad location. Would leak when sitting long time or under pressure just running guess got warm enough to snug up and only weep. Rain has returned so sitting out rest of day, no bucket yet.
Oh BTW, my source of curved Spacers!! I have a few spares now.
overall, nice job!
Weather STILL Not cooperating, drive is like a wet sponge, not gonna try to work it at all as More rain coming in tonight with all terrace heads full and drainage steady running just WAY too soft out. Down to rear shield straightening and reinstall.
This month marks month Six in this old beast, spent some time Off it and few hours on it as could spare them. Trans seems to do well(Knocking on my Wooden Head), has replacement rails, track tensioner seals, engine oil/fuel leaks negated, all new coolant hoses and a replacement radiator, operating station brush guard F & R rails rock guards, right final replaced, Idler and sprocket shields installed, alternator install and operating station arm rests with seat work completed, even has a seatbelt now. Some minor little repairs included as well all fluids/filters changed except Hydraulics. Almost forgot, replaced Hood, exhaust elbow and turbo!! No dupont overhaul from me this time, just ready for the wet to dry down so can get old Fat Allis back to work. TWO days hammering and bending out the kinks, replaced the mount ears for rear shields.
Additional photos, including the Perty up.
Old gal waits patiently
You'd better be careful splashing that yellow paint around, someone may mistake it as new!! You've done a great job on her, probably more care than she's seen in a long while, hope it dries out now and she gives you 10 times the hours that you put into getting her right again. She's lucky to have you, not many of those girls left, especially in the shape yours is now...
Curved spacers are for??? Formed plate or heavy wall pipe just cut??
For the Pipe Mounts in front, fit curve of pipe to at least appear cleaner, also the Down Stops on the insert ends, keeps the cage from hammering on the cross bolts. Just heavy wall pipe scrap cut outs.
This is what I originally bought And the Reason for "FAT ALLIS" Was the FIAT ALLIS Decals that were on Both sides of hood and rear of fuel tank.
not going to realign the bent grille bars?
Nah... put one of these on there and it will look like a million bux!!!! just don't forget to take it off when you go out in the brush https://jackschromeshop.com/product/kenworth-stainless-punched-grill-insert-copy/
Grill bars are 1/2" rod, gonna stay bent.
Just adds character
Better get out your checkbook. All that's missing is a blade. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/200611/item/DH7954/Fiat-Allis-21B-Crawlers-Crawler_Dozer-Missouri
Got some winches on the same auction. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/200611/item/DH7947/Crawlers-Crawler_Attach.-Missouri
https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...ts_and_Parts-Other_Attach._or_Equip.-Missouri
Cable reel or field tile drainage rig on the nose of that beast, NOT for Me!! That bottom Carco been case welded, not very enticing!!! Look to be off later vintage FA Machines by bolting patterns.