There was a fatal dozer accident in RedHook NY yesterday, about 35 minutes north of me. The report is a little vague, I'll try to get more details and post. Below is a link to the article: http://hudsonvalleynewsnetwork.com/2017/04/13/woman-struck-killed-bulldozer-red-hook/
What a tragic and sad accident ! I sure hope that the dozer operator didn't run over his or her grade checker. I ran dozers for 30 years and my worst nightmare was that something like that could happen. I actually saw a grade checker jump in behind a dozer that was making a cut and the operator (not me) suddenly threw the the machine in reverse unexpectedly without first looking back, thank God the grade checker was very young and fast and was able to jump out of the way.
Terrible. My condolences to her loved ones.
I was able to get a few more details but there are still conflicting accounts of what actually happened. I was told the dozer was a D8 and one account has the woman under the machine making a repair unbeknownst to the operator. The other account has her setting a grade stake out of view of the operator. Both the operator and the victim have over 20 years experience in the heavy equipment field. A terrible tragedy.
with todays technology none of these accidents should be happening, with all the warning sensors for collision and if the person on the ground wore a transmitter to tell the dozer computer where they are..
Steve; If you happen to ever find what really happened please post the tragic details. As I mentioned before I was always conscious that something like that could happen to me. I cannot begin to imagine how that operator feels. He or she may never be able to run a machine again.
It's been very difficult to get information on the accident, I'm not sure why. I spoke with the reporter who wrote the article and she was just given a press release from the State Police with no further information. The additional info I got was from someone I know at our County Emergency Control Center. I'll keep digging, but for some reason this story seems pretty quiet.
That is a shame. Let this be a reminder to all to make sure you know where people are at BEFORE moving a machine. Never assume they are out of the way, do a head check to be sure, and don't move until all are accounted for.
osha has a web sight that you can research fatal accidents in the USA, it might take some time for this one to get listed, it is being tight lipped because of the liability to the company and everyone that was working on that job sight, what the real story reveals may never be made public for many reasons.. heres the link https://www.osha.gov/dep/fatcat/dep_fatcat.html