Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Feedback on Cat D5G

twistedtree ยท 2008-03-02 21:00

I'm looking at picking up a used Cat D5G and am looking for general feedback on the model, reliability and repair record, what to check for, etc. Also, does anyone have the measurements for new and worn out tracks? Pin to pin spacing and chain thickness I think are the key dimensions. Thanks in advance, Peter

Replies6
  1. #1stumpjumper832008-03-02 21:09

    any cat dealer should have track specs. I've steered them for a little bit, they seemed good. Another guy likes the deere 650j better, says the blade moves faster. Idk, I've never been in the deere.

  2. #2Countryboy2008-03-03 19:37

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums twistedtree! :drinkup

  3. #3twistedtree2008-03-03 19:47

    Thanks

  4. #4CUTnFILL2008-03-19 05:50

    Hi, new member here. I have a 04 D5G xl model which is a great efficient dozer, if your buying used check for trunnion wear and wear on all hyd cylinder connecting pins. Check for exessive wear on all components associated with front idlers ( loose or broken bolts, wear strips etc) some parts may need replacing/repair to limit side to side and up and down idler wheel movement. Cheers

  5. #5chessiegp392008-03-19 15:27

    I had both machine on a job of mine last year and I perfer the Cat. Not for it being a Cat, just the Cat seemed a little more user friendly. The Cat trans had more positons on it than the Deere. Some other small stuff like that. I sent the Deere packing after a week and kept the Cat for another month. I was working on steep slope grading while using both machines.

  6. #6Countryboy2008-03-19 20:50

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums CUTnFILL! :drinkup