Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

FIAT AD12 final drive problem

whisper ยท 2012-12-14 12:30

Busy restoring my machine and discovered damage to the large gear (badly pitted). Hunting for a replacement... any leads would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for a service manual...I only have a parts catalogue. Any other advice on teh machine would be appreciated too

Replies4
  1. #1nextdoor2012-12-15 07:16

    They were a great old machine and punched above their weight but the finals were their big let down. Dont let the brass sleave wear too much on the outside on the track frame as it doesnt take much to start ripping teeth off the bull gear and the intermediate gear. Also there is a large cast sleeve arrangement on the outside of the sprocket and this can split around the diameter and allow the track tension to move the sprocket thus loading up the teeth on the bull gear and snapping them off. Look after the engine as parts here in oz were very hard to get. Cheers.

  2. #2whisper2012-12-15 07:48

    Hi nextdoor I think you have hit the nail on the head. I reckon exactly what you describe is busy occurring. That casting has a piece broken out of it... I have not opened it all up yet and hope what I find is not too alarming. I will certainly check that bush as you recommend. Luckily the engine seems very sweet and hopefully I can nurse it to a ripe old age!

  3. #3nextdoor2012-12-15 08:04

    I hope you can get away with it cheaply. I had mine snap 13 teeth on the right side and 3 on the other and had to replace the top gear, (pinion) the itermediate and the bull gear as well as the cast bits so we watched it very closely from that time on. I ended up selling the dozer 7 or 8 years ago but I really enjoyed using it, it was a machine that was so easy to do a great job with. I hope you get it on its feet soon. Cheers.

  4. #4whisper2012-12-15 08:16

    So far I have only removed the drainplugs on the final drives. Right hand side oil was clean and the bull gear teeth felt good. Left hand side lots of metal in the oil (looks like remains of the oil seal that went through the gears). Teeth on bull gear have chipped corners and are badly pitted. I don't think any whole teeth are broken off... I suspect I'm going to need all the same bits that you had to buy... Thanks for your advice - greatly appreciated