Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fiat-Allis 14 c Dozer Question

DAVEH ยท 2007-05-23 13:00

I am new to the heavy equipment business. I recently purchased a Fiat-Allis 14 C built somewhere in late 70's or early 80's. A transmission line came loose and I have no idea of the fluid that goes back in it. Someone said Delo 400 30 weight motor oil. Being only familiar with autos, I have doubts about putting motor oil in a transmission.

Replies29
  1. #1wrenchbender2007-05-23 14:32

    First welcome to HEF DAVEH, now as for the trans fluid some use Trac Tran others use Dextron II and afew around here use motor oil. This evening I'll look in the manual I have it's for a 14 E loader but should be the same.

  2. #2wrenchbender2007-05-23 20:42

    The manual I have says "Engine oil TO-2 Qualified API service CD SAE 10W viscosity. or an acceptable replacement Trans fluid type C-3 meeting TO-2 specs." so Fiat starts them off on engine oil.

  3. #3Wulf2007-05-23 20:55

    I would be sure to follow wrenchbenders's advice to the letter using monograde oil. On some trannies, if you use multigrade engine oils the additives (that change the viscosity with temperature) can damage the clutch friction material.

  4. #4Countryboy2007-05-23 22:18

    Welcome to HEF DAVEH! :drinkup

  5. #5DAVEH2007-05-23 23:28

    Thanks Wrenchbender! I appreciate the advice from someone who is in the know! I was somewhat skeptical about putting motor oil in a transmission. Again, thanks for clearing this up!

  6. #6pushcat2007-05-24 06:57

    We run 30 wt. in all our dozer transmissions. We have a 14C but don't use it much any more. That thing was an animal. The D6H was hard pressed to keep ahead of it back in the day.

  7. #7wrenchbender2007-05-24 07:11

    You're welcome, there are a lot of people more qualified than myself here to answer questions of this nature. This time I just beat'em to the draw.

  8. #8DAVEH2007-05-24 20:25

    Thanks! I crawled under it today and took the plug out and got a sample. And yes, it was motor oil. I did notice under the left rear a series of numbers and a date of 2/85, Just under this number was what appeared to be a serial number starting with 7 and included approx 8-9 digits. I suppose that would be the year model and serial numbers. I then pulled the dip stick and compared the oil. The motor oil is 30 wt and appeared to have a higher viscosity than the transmission oil. I appreciate all the input. Thanks

  9. #9wrenchbender2007-05-24 22:01

    DAVEH, does this look like your Dozer? This one belongs to one of my customers.

  10. #10DAVEH2007-05-25 08:18

    Wrenchbender, that would be it.

  11. #11rockbottomllc2009-07-29 08:53

    On a similar note, just wondering if any body has had trouble with transmission oil going to the engine. Had local dealer replace rear main seal on motor, torque converter seal, transmission seal, and it's still doing it. Dealer is now out of business and just wondering where to go next?

  12. #12akpilot2012-06-27 05:13

    we have a 14c dozer , we can push dirt in 1st gear for about 30 minutes then machine stops ,, then go to 2nd gear and keep on pushing for about 45 minutes then it slips in that gear ,,, ????? anyone got an answer as to whats going on ,, akpilot chester .

  13. #13Queenslander2012-06-27 08:42

    akpilot, Firstly,can I suggest that you re post your message on the thread below where it might alert others more qualified than me? Secondly, I assume you have checked/ cleaned tc and trans screens? Does the drive shaft continue to spin when the tractor stalls? What about 3rd and reverse speeds? You probabably need to take some pressure readings to help isolate the problem, I can help with some figures if you don't have service manual. Cheers, Greg

  14. #14Iowan2012-08-21 10:10

    Hi there, I am also new to the heavy equipment business and recently purchased a 1983 Fiat Allis 14C. It seems to be a decent little dozer so far anyway! I have a couple questions regarding undercarriage however. A guy I talked to said when he worked at the county maintence shed they usually converted the fiats to cat or cat style undercarriage... How can I tell what mine has and whats the advantage using cat undercarriage?

  15. #15d9gdon2012-08-21 11:34

    Iowan, I suspect the county would convert them cause they had a discount with the Cat dealer on their UC's or simply cause they were easier to get from their Cat dealer. Maybe the county guys felt that they got a lot more wear out of them instead of Fiat. Maybe had another dozer about the same size which was Cat and didn't want to stock two different replacement parts. If yours has Cat UC, the registered Cat name will be stamped or cast into the individual pieces. Look on the side of the links to see.

  16. #16Iowan2012-08-21 12:38

    Thanks for the info d9gdon, I will have too check it out and see I haven't noticed any cat logo so I would say its not been converted.

  17. #17lpnt652012-08-21 22:21

    akpilot, we hada f/a10c with same problem was new out of dealers it was working in goat country So steep it would run out of drive , that was because country was so steep we thought it was that steepness our problem so step you had to hold your cup in your hand as there no level ground!!!!! but seriously when we were hauling timber on the flats it just did same as yours is doing to you. WEll i tell you thay put guages here and there they changed grade of oil, ,we also had 550 Wabco grader that after an overhaul just as soon as it got the oil hot it slow rite down no push hopeless, we found in both case the incorrect hoses had beeen fitted and when the heat got up th e hoses juts sucked themselves together blocking the flow , SO i am not saying this is your problem but check the hoses out first .

  18. #18Queenslander2012-08-22 05:59

    Iowan, I can't think of any reason to convert to CAT undercarriage other than availability. Here in Aust., we have no problems sourcing undercarriage components from ITM, maybe Berco and probably some others as well. I've had no trouble replacing rollers, pin & bushes and sprocket segments. As far as determining which you have, I think you would have to get drawings of each and take some measurements. The Cat equivalent would have to be a D6D. Cheers, Greg

  19. #19Iowan2012-08-22 12:09

    I'm guessing they must of had mostly Cat equipment and it was just alot easier for them to get. He claimed they had really good luck with the 14 C they had, but i get different views from everybody I talk too! I just hope it lasts me a year or two beings its my 1st dozer and I really don't have the funds to deal with a transmission or torque going bad yet!! I've put over 20 hours on it clearing a tree farm and so far so good!

  20. #20Iowan2012-08-22 17:43

    I have another question that has had me wondering... when under load i can pull on either steering clutch and the machine will turn as it should however with the blade up when i pull a steering clutch i have to push either brake pedal to turn that direction... But what I understand from the manuals I have just pulling back either steering lever all the way back should apply the turning brake also? Am I misunderstanding something or is it something that needs to be fixed? Any advise would be excellent!

  21. #21Queenslander2012-08-23 08:45

    No there is nothing wrong with your machine, the manual is probably referring to the loader version, on which both the steering clutch and brake are operated off the one lever, similar to the Cat dozers. With the 14C, the clutch and brake are operated indepedantly, which isn't a problem, they are a very comfortable and easy machine to use. Cheers, Greg

  22. #22Iowan2012-08-23 23:22

    Good deal! Thanks Queenslander!

  23. #23Scrub Puller2012-08-24 03:47

    Yair . . . Iowan . Clutch fully disengaged then foot on brake. Foot off brake release clutch. If other track spins and forward motion stops with one clutch disengaged decel or disengage tranny . . . don't dump a disengaged clutch onto a spinning track. Cheers.

  24. #24Queenslander2012-08-24 07:16

    No worries Iowan, The one thing I will say about the 14C, is that they have a reputation for being a little weak in the final drive department. As with any oval track dozer, you should take care, when backing up,not to run a track into a rock or stump as the sprocket will bear the full brunt of the impact. The same applies when backing down a steep slope, make sure you kiss the bottom gently. As you havn't had this tractor very long , it might pay to change the oil in the final drives to make sure you don't have a problem. Cheers, Greg

  25. #25Iowan2012-08-24 23:14

    Great info thanks for the tips! Yea i checked the fluid in the final drives and it looked really good actually extremely clean anyway... so far after i bought it I pulled the torque n trans filter screens cleaned them "not much to clean they actually looked good" then the brake/bevel gear screen "some stuff in it not much a few pieces of silicone gasket sealer and couple pieces of something black not metal though not sure what it was" and pulled the magnetic rods on each of them and wiped them clean.. installed a trans pressure guage and temp guage the factory ones were not working... and put exhaust manifold gaskets and studs in... just little things trying to familiarize myself with it... also pulled and cleaned belly pans "wow they were not light taking them off was the easy part!!!" Over the winter I plan to go through and change all the fluids and filters and screens... The one thing that really bugs me is the sight glass on the hydraulic tank both seep very little but it still runs down the side of the tank and just doesn't look very good in my eyes!! I know i cant fix every leak on the ol girl but I can sure try!!

  26. #26Iowan2012-08-24 23:24

    Its actually very relieving talking with people who actually know about these fiat allis dozers! Seems like everyone around home thinks I'm crazy since I didn't buy a cat or a deere! Thats ok though I enjoy being the underdog! Anyways thanks to all for the info i appreciate it!

  27. #27bobby6232013-04-02 12:10

    Hi Wrenchbender! I have a Fiat Allis front loader and need to know what type of transmission fluid it uses. We had a guy to come out and service it and every since he has we have to let the tractor run for about 2 hours for it will pull off. Do you have any suggestion?

  28. #28terryr2013-04-14 02:15

    14-c Havs had a 1985 14_c for 12 years worked it hard the only problems I've had is that hunk of junk Iveco/fiat engine last time it burned the pistons out no I did not over heat it! the problem is the muffler mine came apart in side if you take the muffler off the manifold the manifold is 3.5 inches the pipe to the muffler is 2.25inches and the tail or stack pipe is 2 inches,put a 4 incher on it wow what a difference.final problems NONE thought you might like to know,also have a 21-B Terryr

  29. #29terryr2013-04-14 02:19

    also I use 30 wt oil in my trans a little sluggish when cold but great when warm,Terryr