Looking for a Workshop manual For a 87 Fiat Allis 14C Serial # 52001 and up Having problem with Steering clutch and brake I have ordered a pressure point gauge to measure hyd pressure for the steering and brake port at the rear of the Dozer
What problems are you having Big Cam?
When I purchased the dozer the left brake was inop dozer had 198 hrs. I am thinking a pin securing the brake band had worked out leaving the brake inoperative The Dozer had been setting for a number of years. Now the right brake is inop. I have ordered a adapter to test the hyd pressure on the test points on the rear of the dozer I am looking for a Techinal or shop manual For the Dozer to help with repair. I am a Diesel Tech with 30+ years exp I suspect the rear brake became inop and dozer was left setting unused. It seems that the dozer has lost hyd oil pressure for the steering servos The right brake will work for a couple of minutes then quit working Any help would be appreciated
I have a manual for the 14B which also covers most of our 79 vintage C If all else fails I could copy and send you the relevant pages. Over the years we have rebuilt most of our tractor, but brakes and steering clutches are still original. Only minor problem we had was system sucking air past the seal under the filter canister. Do clutches disengage OK? Cheers,Greg
Hi Greg The steering clutches do work at first then quits after a couple of minutes the power assist cylinder under the brake pedals are surging I will have the pressure gauges tomorrow and will measure hyd oil press to the steering and brake valve assy I have removed the floor pan and am seeing 2 canister filter housings One on the right under the right pedal assy and one on the left close to the bull gear housing. Is it advisable to drain the hyd system before removing the hydraulic filter canisters ? Thanks for your Help Chris
RHS is transmission,LHS is steering clutch/brake. SC filter can be removed without losing any oil. It is a metal screen style filter, so providing it is structurally sound it can be cleaned and reused. I'ld check this first then see if there is any improvement. There is also a return filter under the fuel tank, just forward of where you check the oil level of the SC compartment. This is a paper element style and has to be replaced, book says yearly or every 2000 hrs. Check under the cast cover of this filter for a small hole covered with mesh, this is where the compartment breaths. Good Luck, Greg
Removed the LHS Filter today Filter screen had an excessive amount of brass shavings Cleaned the filter in the parts washer and also used brake cleaner and compressed air. The magnet that surrounds the stud in the middle of the filter had a good bit of fine metal like a paste on the magnet. Cleaned all and reinstalled filter Steering clutch's working and right brake has came back What components in the brake and steering sys would leave a good amount of brass shavings Would a shop manual for a FL-14c be the same as the 14-C crawler I would assume the only difference would be the tracks and front bucket ? . I am removing the return filter under the fuel tank tomorrow
Can't say for sure, because I haven't had them apart, but I'am guessing the clutch packs would be the only source of brass. You say it only has 198 hrs, if genuine, you wouldn't expect too much wear and tear in that time unless it has been severely abused. What is the history of the machine? I would change that return filter as well as the oil, only 7US gallons, work it for a while and check the suction filter again. Keep an eye on the oil level. The SC and transmission pumps are piggybacked together, if the seal between them fails, you will see SC falling and transmission rising. You will probably find that the manual for the loader has a section to cover any differences with the dozer, saved them printing two books. Cheers, Greg
Dozer came off a AFB. The undercarriage has very little wear and the trunion for the blade shows little wear It is my thinking that the left brake became inoperative and the dozer was left setting. I believe some parts were swapped with another dozer although. Brake pedal face shows no wear I am thinking with the left brake inop that the brake lining maybe the source of the brass shavings I am planning on removing the Hyd and fuel tanks to access the brake the week of July 4 Need to repair the left brake assy Thanks for your insite Best regards, Chris
Sorry Chris, I misinterpreted your post and assumed brakes were working again on both sides. Definitely no brass on the brake linings, just your typical fibrous lining material. Could be worth looking at the brake servo first, just to eliminate any hydraulic problems. Cheers, Greg