I recently bought a Fiat Allis 16B dozer. It runs very well and is mechanically in pretty good shape. It needs a few minor repairs. I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get new or used parts. I was also hoping one of you had one and could help me with my next question. The dipstick (part# 70674997) is missing on my dozer. It can be bought through minnpar for$122 with a 60 day wait. Being its just a boat plug with a strip of metal on the bottom I figured I would make my own. If one of you have one I would greatly appreciate the measurements of the full and add marks on the dipstick. I live in Michigan near Lansing so if anyone knows where there might be one near me I could measure that would be helpful also.
I guess I should have mentioned it is the transmission dipstick. Farthest one to the back of the machine under the seat.
Cool ! Another 16 B owner operator I can swap stories with . I will get you the measurements off the dip stick & post them tomorrow evening . Used parts might try http://www.chartrandequip.com/red-bud-il-dismantled-machines.htm New , go to Minnparr My 16 B is a 1974 model . One of my favorite machines to operate . Had to modify it a bit over the years , few threads on it . Drug up an ash tree with it the other day that had fell pray to the emerald ash borer & cut it up for firewood . http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/100_3142_zpstbav7evf.mp4.html?o=0
Rear Fame / Bevel gear dipstick Yeah Spartan Farmer , the dip stick under the seat is actually the rear frame compartment . That's the one I pulled & measured . The transmission stick is located just to the right from the operators seat beside the fuel tank . I put a red arrow on the transmission fill location in the second picture . The rear frame stick measured 25.5 inch from the cap to the tip . To get the full level mark measure back 1.5 inch from the tip .
Yes that is the one I needed. Thanks for the help. I will try to post a picture of the old beast. It's not as nice looking as yours but it runs pretty good. I do have an oil leak that needs some attention. It's located on the shaft under your feet heading to the front of the machine. ATF fluid I think. Doesn't look like it should be to hard to fix. How do I tell what year mine is? I hope I don't have the crank problem you were talking about. You did a great job fixing your machine. I will be using this one for mostly fence row removal. So hopefully it holds up long enough to get my projects done.
Your leak sounds like drive shaft seals on the torque converter out put or transmission . Not a big deal to fix . The transmission could have ATF in it . The Fiat Allis book recommends ATF in extreme cold environments . Years ago My Fiat Allis dealer told me the tractor year off the serial number . Those guys are gone now . I would guess someone at Minnparr could identify the year the same way . That 16 B will work great on fence rows & cleaning up around a farm .Just about the perfect size machine for that type of work . Done allot of that with our machine . Good luck with your work and Holler if you any more questions about it .
There are a bunch of us on here who have serial number books, post yours and we'll help you out.
In the parts manual I was given with the dozer they have written "19S14246". I cannot confirm that this is my serial number because I could not find it on the machine. I did find a spot on the motor (left side rear) where there was a plate at one time but it is gone now.
That sounds like the serial number . Mine starts with the 19S as well . Go to the rear of the tractor & scrape off the crud at the top of the rear frame housing . Look on the upper right side .
If that does turn out to be the serial number, it was made in 1975.
yep; 75 by my book too. All allis,s went to number and letter serial numbers around 1970; ie 19S was HD16B. 25L was a HD11B and 40M a HD6B
Here is my new toy. If I did this correctly.
Lol. I have no idea how the hell I did that! Hold your monitor upside down.
Thank you
Nice work d9gdon putting the 16 back on it's tracks Looks good Spartan Farmer . Same blade configuration as my tractor . Did you get the root rake with it ? I see pin bosses welded on the blade for one . That dozer will work fine taking out fence rows or whatever dirt project you have . I also see some corn still in the field . Few guys in my area still have a few acres to go yet .
Yes I do have the rake. It's a big heavy thing with replaceable teeth. I'll try to get a picture but I can't promise it will be right side up. I found my oil leak its part #70693957 just a big seal. Minnpar has it for $122. Anyone have a cross reference chart?
Cool ! That's great you got the rake with it . Torque convertor shaft seal ?
Yes
I usually try these guys first on seals & bearings . They come through most of the time . http://tristatebearing.com/
Just for future reference if anyone needs to know the seal I was looking for Fiat Allis part #70693957 crosses to a SKF 31228 that I purchased at my local Napa store for $28.00. Much better than the $122 plus shipping that Minnpar wanted. I should have the filters and most of the fluids changed tomorrow so it shouldn't be long and I will post a picture of the dozer with the root rake. It has a coolant filter that I am not sure what to do with. Its a bag filled with little pellets smashed between two strainers inside of a canister. The whole thing is really dirty and should be replaced but I cant find any of the bags. Have any of you ran across this? At this point I'm not sure if I should rinse it out and put it back in or just leave the canister empty? Thanks for all the help.
I also owned a 16B with ripper . I replaced the trans and did the engine . Decent machine but poor design in some place . Before you use it , check oil in the final drives. There is a plug with 1/2 inset so you can use a bar and extension. the plug is located in the dog house on each side sort of in behind the track pad . make sure they stay full and check them often . If they are not full the outboard bearing on the sprockets will fail due to oil starve .
For now I would clean the canister out & leave it empty . I cant remember if the Allis engine in my 16 had the water filter . Been to many years . The cummins engine I installed in the tractor has a small spin on water filter . You might look at adding a spin on filter if it's a big concern . https://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/000376.pdf
Good advice Cat_man320 . Check all fluid levels daily . The outboard bearing gets lubricated from a keyway cut in the axil shaft . My 16B also has grease fittings on the outboard bearing cover . Don't hurt anything to give it a few shots while greasing the rest of the tractor .
I've been so busy on the farm this year I'm just getting back to the dozer. Hopefully TD25c is still roaming around here I have another question. The people that owned the dozer before me always used atf in the transmission which I've been told is fine. My question is can I use universal hydraulic fluid for this? it would be the same fluid I use in the power shift tractors we have on the farm.
ATFs and hydraulic oils have different compositions . personally I would not use it unless I could get confirmation from Allison Transmissions or a reparable dealer. different oils have special agents added to them for anti-foaming , anti wear and things like heat dissipation etc . Using the wrong oils could wipe out the tranny in no time flat unless the tranny is designed for it as in some of your other machinery . Don't take somebody's word for it if they say "It should be ok" , changing the transmission or have to rebuild it is no easy task .
I appreciate your reply cat_man320 and your right. I wasn't looking for "it should be alright". I was hoping someone knew what was supposed to be used in it. Td25c said transmission fluid was recommended in cold conditions. But I probably should have been more clear about what I have. It is Citgo Transguard hydraulic fluid. I would like to know if it meets the specs or if there is something else I could use as we don't use the dozer in the winter.
Farmer , I really don't know if the fluids are compatible, the Citgo you have is a hydraulic fluid which is fine for a hyd pump and pushing rams etc and in your case is ok for some of your equipment. Although a tranny has a pump and uses hydraulic pressure to close the bands to make the tranny work, the problem arises if the Citgo is incompatible with the clutch plates. That's where most of the heat is generated. Hope you get some correct information and best of luck with it .
My ACHD21A books recommend ATF in transmission and wet steering clutch system and that is what I use. Bob Ohio
Yeah Spartan Farmer , we have always used " Tractor fluid " in the 16-B . And pretty much in all the rest of the equipment be it farm or yellow iron for hydraulics , transmissions & rear frames on dozers . Use 90 wt oil in each final drive housing on the 16-B . I use the Xtreme brand tractor fluid, get it at rural king . The Citgo Transgard looks & sounds like tractor fluid . Don't see any reason why it won't work . http://www.citgolubes.com/lubes-products/citgo-transgard-low-temp-tractor-hydraulic-fluid/ Also added some pages out of the 16-B manual on the subject .
Has to be a thin viscosity oil for AC like the ATF/Dexron or a 10W transmission fluid. Most AC fan people down the bottom of the world run ATF. is also what we run in hyster/carco winchs. 10w torque fluid is also used by some people.