Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fiat allis 645B lack of push power.

Don Ruggles Army Aviator ยท 2021-05-14 12:21

Just recently purchased an older Fiat Allis 645B Wheel loader that does not seem to have hardly any pushing power. Any recommendations on what is best to try. It has been mostly sitting up for the last few years, but seems to run fairly well. I understand it could possible be a dirty screen in the transmission, but not sure where it is located. Don Ruggles in Texarkana 870 772 2942

Replies14
  1. #1dirthog2021-05-19 12:52

    On the left side of the transmission looking from the front of the machine there is a round plate with I believe 6 bolts that is the screen for the transmission. Have to drain the transmission to remove it and then hope it is NOT full of aluminum.

  2. #2Don Ruggles Army Aviator2021-05-19 14:04

    OK, I will remove those 6 bolts, check screen for contamination then replace with fresh oil and try it. Don

  3. #3Vetech632021-05-19 14:41

    I believe those had the Allison 2221 transmissions. Dextron II for the fluid.

  4. #4Welder Dave2021-05-19 15:09

    Probably not a good idea to post your phone number on the public forum. Maybe a mod could remove it? A PM would be better if someone wanted to contact you directly.

  5. #5Don Ruggles Army Aviator2021-05-19 16:39

    I will check to see what transmission it has.

  6. #6Don Ruggles Army Aviator2021-05-19 16:42

    Yes, you are probably correct. We get a ton of unwanted scam calls. My wife sent $2500 dollars one time on a bogus call about her grandson being locked up in Chile when he was right here in town. Don

  7. #7Welder Dave2021-05-19 16:49

    Welcome to the forum Don. Lots of experience on here.

  8. #8Vetech632021-05-19 16:53

    Well, I admit I laughed! Sorry my friend.

  9. #9JackT992021-06-20 09:28

    Hi Don, so have you figured out what was wrong?

  10. #10Don Ruggles Army Aviator2021-06-20 10:27

    I have not pulled the plate, inspected it , nor changed the oil, but plan to try that today or this week I discovered that my John Deere 310D backhoe would not move forward due to the solenoids that are on top of the reverser, so am ordering two new solenoids that are stacked on top of each other, hoping that solves the movement of the backhoe. I also have three dozers that I have to keep running, a D5, JD 850B, and an older fiat alis 14C. Having helicopters and heavy equipment creates much maintenance, but hoping to sell my 5 helicopters soon. Don

  11. #11Tarhe Driver2021-06-20 14:00

    Welcome Home, Don, I was in 67-11; you were in 62-7. Neill

  12. #12Don Ruggles Army Aviator2021-06-20 17:48

    Yes, 62-7, and almost all of our class went to Vietnam. I commanded the 872d medevac reserve unit in New Iberia after I got out of the army and flew with the guard/reserves for my total of 22 years service. I have a helicopter company of Jet Rangers here locally, but getting too old to fly them, so have helicopters and fixed wing for sale. How about yourself and where do you live

  13. #13Tarhe Driver2021-06-23 10:26

    Medivacced half-way through my tour, finally back on flight status, also made 22 years in guard where I flew 54s out of Hunter for about 16 years. Live at Savannah, GA. Neill

  14. #14Don Ruggles Army Aviator2021-06-23 10:56

    Gosh, I think you had alot more exposure than most of us did. I also flew L-19, L-20, H-13, H-19, H-34, then a little bit of everything the NG and Reserves had, but never any experience with the bigger ones. I also never made 0-6 like all of my friends, but had to settle for 0-5. My army room mate ended up making four stars - Jimmy Ross, who commanded AMC, but died of Agent Orange. One of my fraternity brothers, Jim Merryman, commanded Ft Rucker at one time and a building was erected in his honor, the Merryman Building. I have never been back to Rucker