Buying a Fiat Allis FD5 for the farm. The right track wont steer. The motor bogs down when right pedal is pushed so I think brake is working. Im thinking clutch is not working. Im pretty sure the the linkage for the clutch is moving full travel. The steering was fine and then it was parked for two years, now this. Anybody have any suggestions?? Thoughts? How big of a job is it to pull clutch?
Not a huge job but it's a fair amount of work getting everything out of the way. Sounds like maybe some rust or something has the plates stuck together since it was fine before it sat. Not much you can do without tearing it apart though. How much have you ran it? Sometimes they'll come out of it if ran for a little bit.
Thanks for the reply 02Dmax. It hasn't been ran at all since messing up. Been cranked and let idle but no pushing or much movement. Had a local mechanic tell me same thing that clutch is probably stuck together. He told me to take brake linkage off the pedal and run dozer and keep that right pedal pushed down. Not sure if that will work but guess its worth a try.
there is a valve on top of the trans take the top plug out and get the valve cup out clean it and put back should work fine mine stuck after I was skidding logs with it all day stopped it for a few hours to block wood and when I got back on it wouldn't steer
it also may be the check ball in the same block it comes out the side closer to the tranny top if u want I can try and post a page from the repair manuel on the valve block
Olfolks, thanks for the advice. If you could post a page of it that would be great. Guess I need to buy a service manual. Dang they are proud of that thing!!
sorry but they didn't come out in order lol page 1 is 3rd from the last followed by 6 and 7 which are the spec's I would take the plug and valve off the top as this can be done without removing the whole block from the tranny
thanks olfolks! when I pull the plug is there any springs or anything thats gonna go shooting off?? I,ve looked at the pages above and think I know what your talking about.
Does anyone have a copy of the service manual or one you dont need anymore?
The cap/plug behind check port "P" is what I took apart there is a spring in there but it won't fly out The cap 4 is the check valve cover I would say the check in urs is stuck only letting the left side work But I would start with the top valve as it is easier to get to if I remember right it is a 18 mm but I get Corn fussed easy lol
Got it steering. I pullled valve body and found a valve/plug seized up. It was the right clutch pressure port on page 8-8. When it wouldnt come out I soaked it in penetration fluid and got it freed up. Took it out, cleaned it up and re-installed everything. Now right track disengages just like it should. Man, I was so happy I played on it for a few hours. olfolks THANKS for your copies of service manual pages. HUGE help!!! Really appreciate it.
Now I have to service the dozer. Gonna try to change all the fluids. My book says transmission and steering cluthes both take ATF type A. Automatic trans fluid?? Any advice on oils or filters??
rb we run hyd fluid in the trans and the steering clutches as they are in the same rear compartment u fill/check under the seat. the tourqe convertor takes atf and is checked/filled under a small plate on the right outside of the dash we use hastings filters on ours I can get the numbers if u need them
the plate is on the floorboard not the dash itself on mine it is a black colored plate about 4 or 5 inch sq lifts up from the frt
Fd5 idlers I need a set of replacement idlers for my FD5. I've tried Fiat Allis dealers here and in nearby states, as well as a few traders out there. I have some folks who are working their contacts for a aftermarket set or a good used set. I was told it is pointless to try and rebuild the ones that came off of my dozer. My machine is a 1984 and the shaft, bearings and housing were all pretty much shot. I was told that idlers off of the FD7 and FL7? will fit it. Advice please...
Oh, my FD5 doesn't want to steer going forward once it is heated up but it will steer going backwards. Is that a sign that the clutches need replacing/rebuilding? Or could it be bad or wrong fluid and it's getting too hot?
When u say idler which one u mean front, top , bottom ? Lol new holland dealers and case dealers both can get parts for these if they are a viable If the clutches were bad it wouldn't pull on that side I would think A worn brake band is more what I am thinking I have ran dozers with worn linings before and the longer u run them the less brake u have Next day at start seems good for awhile If u have room run forward in 2 no gear and hold that side down just enough to engage the clutch and see if it drifts to that side Seems for some reason the brakes when worn will grab better going backwards Let me know which idler u need and I will post the part numbers for u
service manual I am having difficulty locating dealers around here in central NY - I noticed the pages of the manual you posted - would it be possible to get a copy of this manual or do you have the source that you got it from
I will try to remember to look at the ones I have and see if it says where they came from. sometimes I get sidetracked when I get home from work LOL I am sure these are reprints but they came with the dozer so not sure how old or where they came from give me a few days
I looked at the manuals last night and they have no clue as to where they came from they are reprints for sure the are loose leaf pages in a binder crane and tractor in ohio is a source of parts as well as any case dealer or new Holland ag dealer if u have the part numbers the service book isn't but about half as thick as the parts book have u tried jensales for a copy of the parts book or maybe A&I ?
I have tried - the only manual I have does not show the detail that yours does. I would gladly pay you to make a copy for me- Thanks
The fiat Allis manuals are in seperate books for the diferent sections of the tractor There are some listed here . http://www.ssbtractor.com/tractor_m...ctors&tractor_manual_model=Fiat+Allis+FL5+FD5 This one I would think has all sections in it . https://www.amazon.com/Allis-Crawler-Tractors-Service-Manual/dp/B00B00JV0Y
kicker, which manual are u wanting the parts or the service I can see what I can do about making a copy it maybe cost or time prohibitive lol