I've been looking for a decent farm dozer to just keep on the farm for my own use. So far I have looked at a Cat D8H and a Fiat-Allis HD16B. Both machines are nearby and about the same condition and price. I test operated both and I think the 16B would be a large enough machine for me, and it is a little more modern, but I have a couple of concerns. The D8H has lots of power and will spin the tracks in 1st and 2nd gear without even seeming to work the motor much. The HD16B doesn't spin the tracks, but the motor doesn't really lug down alot either. It seems like the tourqe converter doesn't apply enough tourqe to spin the tracks. The owner says there is nothing wrong and that is the way it is supposed to be. Can someone give me some advice on this. Also what about parts availability? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Why don't you find someone with a tachometer and carry out a TC stall test on both units. In F3 with brakes applied the engine should lug down to a specified speed. If it lugs too low then the engines probably down on power. If its too high then the TC isn't working properly or a clutch is slipping. Don't stall it too long and watch the temp gauge so that it doesn't overheat. Make sure you have everything at operating temperature. You can phone a dealer for specs or maybe someone here would know.
All else being equal I would choose the Cat.It will be much easier to find parts for as The Fiat Allis is no longer produced in this country and it sounds like you intend to keep it awhile.I am not sure what kind of work you have in mind for them but you might want to consider a smaller dozer unless you have some major pushing to do,they are cheaper to run and easier to work on as well.That old H is a nice dozer and should serve you well if you have need of it though.Ron G
track slippage the tracks should spin or the motor should lug
I have 2 16B's the motors run great but the torque converter doesn't transfer power very well on either machine, the finals are very weak I think if the torque converter put out you wouldn't get 200hrs out of the final drives. I have put 4 finals in those silly dozers over the years.
Find out what it will cost you to r&r one of the finals on the 8H before you go hog wild on it. They are a great machine but you better have a lot of work for it if you want one of those. Old machines are usually a money pit just waiting for you to buy it because they look so "cheap". That is why the other guy wants to sell it.
The HD16 was a fine machine and operated easily. Spinning tracks wastes fuel and grouser bar. 16's were designed to avoid this as were all the last models of AC. However, parts would be a problem. Go with the Cat.
Fiat-Allis 16B Dozer Ah, yes.One of my favorite dozers to operate.It's the perfect size Dozer weighing in at 50,000 lbs for most of my dozer work.They have two speed's forward & reverse,first gear is for heavy work and they will easily spin the tracks when loaded.Second gear is for moving & light work and most models wont spin the tracks in second gear.The only major problem I have had was the Fiat - Allis engine broke the crankshaft and it was more cost effective to install a cummins engine then repair The Fiat Allis engine.The Fiat allis engine is set at 1850 rpm's ,I set the cummins engine at 2250 rpm for the high idle and the dozer is very responsive,She's "walken talken".As for the final drives,I have been through them replacing seals & bearing's as needed and I installed a new bull pinion on the port side about 8 years ag ne thing I like about the old 16-b's is the frame , blade,blade arms & under carrige are built pretty beefy.It's a fun dozer to operate.The cat D8h is also a great dozer but a size bigger than the 16-b.
I need to transport a fiat allis 16b dozer from Texas to Tennessee does anyone know the correct weight and specifications on this
wt. If you call a major trucking co.they might be able to give you the shipping wt.Good luck
Hi hogwild1975.Figure 50,000 lbs on the weight.If it has a winch or ripper on it add 5000 to 7000 lbs.Overall height is 10 foot 6 inch (with ROPS cab).several different blades.Mine is the simi -U ,it measures 12 foot wide at the end bits.Good luck with it.
If you have doubts about power, go D8. I have 2 good ACHD21s on the farm here in Ohio and power is nice to have for tree killing and moving dirt. The only negative I have heard about the 16s are weak finals. One contractor here has one and he doesn't abuse it and has had no problems. There are several yards in the Columbus area that have a good supply of AC parts. Mine are fuel oil converters and the tracks will spin under a full load that can stop the dozer. It is a great farm toy if you have need for one. Bob Ohio