Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

final drive difference

dwilliamsx6 ยท 2010-04-13 15:13

i have a cat e70b with a destroyed final drive. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a drive made for a machine with a blade and one without a blade. I have found both types, they look alike, but the one for the blade is always much less money....why???

Replies1
  1. #1finaldrive2010-09-13 18:00

    First of all, I think you have it backwards. The blade application costs more and is actually no longer availabel. I know more than you can imagine about the E70B final drive with and without blade. CAT # 102-6947 is for the non blade machine. It's a Teijin Seiki, aka HY-DASH, final drive. GM08 series. CAT # 099-6480 is for the blade application. Same brand, but it's a GM10 series. Both are discontinued throught CAT, however you can get a new replacement through CAT for the 102-6947. The difference is the gearbox. The GM10 series is physically larger. The motor displacement is close on them. Gear ratio is 64.3:1 on the 102-6947, whereas the 099-6480 is 55:1. CC's per rev on the 102-6947 is 1672 CC's per rev on the 099-6480 is 1650 So technically the 099-6480 will be 2% faster. Not a big deal and could be interchanged if they had the same mounting dimensions...which they don't. The differences in pricing that you get is probably ultimately from me. Since CAT sold out of the 099-6480 I have the only option around for the blade application. But it's not cheap. I have to take a current production drive, match the cc's per rev and swap the rear manifold to accept your current hydraulic lines. Then I have to pay to have a custom sprocket made that fits our drive. That way when it shows up to you all you have to do is bolt it to the frame, hook up the lines and go. I wish I had a solution that was more economical, there just isn't one. I only sell about 8 of these a year because you get to the point where the cost of this option as more than half of the entire machines value. Hope that helps.