AC HD16DC. I'm starting to get metal flakes in my final drive sump. Do you think this is a problem?
Them are some small flakes. I think you will be fine. Sorry looks expensive
Yeah. I'm thinking if I glue a magnet to the drain plug, that should help.
those flakes are fine. ha ha i think you have a broken bull gear, and continued use will end in catastrophic failure. just my 2 cents
Yair . . . Don Powers Ah yes, the dreaded rattle in the frying pan . . . we used to keep a frying pan to catch the first bit of oil to come out of the final drives of the HD21's, I know the feeling well. Best of luck with it. Cheers.
Kind of an odd color. Camera not white balanced for florescent lights or are they actually copper colored?
Looks like a gear tooth to me. You can even see the wear marks where it was meshing.
You can imagine the expressions of joy when I heard the chunks hit the bottom of the pan. I doubt we will fix this one, the machine belongs to my brother in law. I'll look into it but he said he didn't want to put any big money into it. I've been telling him all along I don't want to work on the U/C and frankly, we don't have the tools to do the job. The next time I'm out there I might pull the access cover and see what I can see. Damage is unlikely to be limited to the big gear. The color is not accurate in the photo, it should be more silver. Looks more like this only a bit more shiny.
Yair . . . Don Powers I guess the parts are scarce and expensive but, if you have a manual, they are really pretty easy and the tooling not excessive. For pulling O/B and sprocket we just used simple shop fabricated plates with Samson bar and Automotive jacks positioned with the pump down . . . with a flash light you can get a good look at damage when you slip off that back cover. Best of luck with it and I do hope it is not scrapped. Cheers.
Scrub Puller, It looks like I can get all the parts. There is an outfit in California that sells a new gear for $875 USD and I found one source for a used gear @ $175 USD. Bearings run around $100 USD each and the seal is available but I didn't price that. I'm thinking about the pullers. Good tips on that, BTW. I can probably make the wrenches out of steel plate or flat stock. Mild steel might give me one shot at it. Yeah, mulling it over. My bones hurt just thinking about it.
Gear pullers for HD 16 That sounds reasonable on cost of the gears . Some Allis Chalmers HD 16 home boy built gear pullers . The big plate puller is for removing the sprocket .
Here is our version of a home made sprocket puller for our D4D.
As an industrial engineer and collector of old tools, I am not quite sure what a Samson bar is...but I found that a Sampson bar, is yet one more name for a pry bar. pinch bar, or "crow bar". Last year, at an auction, I purchased a skid of tools, for $50, including 3 8# sledges, good condition but weathered handles, three pry/pinch bars between 6' and 8' long, with various bends, 8' long wooden clamps, adjustable with ridges, much like the modern clamps that go on pipe, and three various tubing/conduit benders. Two of the bars straightened out nice on the 20 ton press, while the third snapped in a brittle fashion, it must of got hot at one point and cooled FAST. The sledges got new handles from the local flea market/swap meet, 5 handles for $20. The conduit benders will probably be gifted to a local electrician, I tend to use rigid PVC on my shop. However, on the chips. those are gear teeth that have been broken, then crushed in the gears. You need to pull apart the gear set and find the damage before it is unrepairable. One or two bad teeth can be welded and reground without too much trouble a decent machinist. I found similar, but smaller chips in the rear differential of my 08 Jeep Wrangler last week, now I am pricing a new mechanical LSD at the terrible 3.21 final drive ratio. A new set of Rubicon axles would be nice but at 5k, not really affordable this week. While I like the frying pan test, I keep new brightly tinned metal pans for oil changes, just so I can examine the waste oil for chips and debris. A piece of roller bearing, piston or fines from a insert starting to fail has gotten many a engine pulled early for repair. Once the oil is drained into a collection bucket, the pans sit at an angle for further drainage, then into the parts washer for the next use...It would be terrible to pull apart the wrong gearbox.
My brother in law bought this old AC just to make some changes to his small rural property as he prepares to build a new home. One and done, as they say. I used to work around these machines 40 years ago so I said I would help where I can. Between the two of us we don't have any of the things needed for working on big iron. We don't have cribbing, a spud bar, bottle jacks, a decent size torch, welder, ... We just don't have any of those basic tools. I did what I could but I'm not interested in building a service shop for one old machine. Forget about it. I'm pretty sure he is not going to get into this thing. It could be fixed for under $500 USD if a man has some gumption. He is looking around for another bargain in the hopes of finishing his little project. Maybe we can find a couple of mules and a drag bucket. It'd be cheaper.
in that case, run to failure...
Umfortunately, doing so will significantly reduce resale value. Funny how people like to see you drive it onto the trailer.
I hear by reclassify those as chunks not flakes
Then park and sell!
Yair . . . . hetkind . Here again regional differences (and my bad spelling) have lead to confusion . . . Sampson bar/rod (with a "p") is just a generic term for high tensile threaded rod . . . it used to be commonly available up to about inch and a half and larger to special order. Very handy to have around for making pullers and so on. https://www.hobson.com.au/page/high-tensile/high-tensile-sampsonrod.php Cheers.
That's what we are looking at. The tentative plan is to clean it up and get some pictures. There are some inherent problems with selling obsolete equipment, the market is very small. The machine sat out front of the previous owner for a couple of years before my brother in law bought it. It's not likely to sell quickly and when it does sell, it will need to be trucked. You know, that's another chunk of money coming out of someone's pocket. I put close to 300 man hours into it just to get it in the dirt. Not counting travel time and chasing parts/supplies. Since we got it working, I've probably put another 100 hours in it just to keep it going. Most recently a fuel pump. Not available, so without the generous help of others I'd still be looking. Who knew that the pump off another machine would bolt right in? AC construction division has been defunct since the eighties. It's nearly impossible to find OEM parts and as the market shrinks, nobody wants to produce parts. It's just a tough sell.
Yep, he's going to sell it ASAP.
Thanks, I have many pullers out of all thread over the years. Now I build press tooling when I can.