Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Final Drive Oil

inyati13 ยท 2011-07-08 12:07

I want to change the final drive oil in my Cat D3G 2005. For my area (temperature range), the manual calls for Cat SAE 50 TDTO (Transmission Drive Train Oil). I checked with my Cat dealer and the oil is very expensive under the Cat logo. Does anyone know if you can get the same spec oil at say NAPA auto parts?

Replies3
  1. #1Dickjr.2011-07-08 16:00

    NAPA should be able to order that oil , what I have done is gone to a local fuel supplier such as Newcomb Oil in Bardstown and get it there. They have people that can cross reference all types of oil. Apollo in MT Sterling can do the same. Are you gonna flush the compartments also? One other option is have an oil sample done on each final , if its clean rock on.

  2. #2Old Magnet2011-07-08 21:42

    In my 1989 Cat Parts Sales Kit manual it states "If circumstances require the use of an oil other than CXP Transmission/Drive Train Oil, use an oil that meets API CD/T0-2 or military specification MIL-L-2104D.

  3. #3inyati132011-07-09 06:50

    Thanks all. The last sample was fine. I should probably pull a sample and see. The manual does say to change the oil at 2000 hours and I am at 2100.