Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Td7e torque converter removal questions!

grimlock97 ยท 2011-07-08 23:18

Anyone got an idea on how to remove the tq converter on a ih td7e? Easier out the bottom or top, what needs removed/moved, what else should I inspect while I'm in there? If out the bottom do I need the machine on blocks or anything? I'm ordering a re sealed tq converter Monday for 1800 plus shipping, does that sound fair? I found one for 2200 minus 750 for core but that really seemed high! As always thank you for any help, the replacement comes from this thread,

Replies8
  1. #1Iron@Dirt2011-07-09 22:12

    Also in previous thread. As for a D39p-1/ TD9H, mine came out the top like my manuel states, didnt pull limb risers or rops though. Pull hood, dash, driveshaft, pumps, hoses, bolts thru flywheel and around convertor and out she goes. Dont forget to drain the oils, a lot comes out of the hoses. The mounts are on the engine, not on the convertor. As for the cost, I just resealed mine and changed 2 trust bearings, they where 150 each, orings and seals where resonable. If you can pull it out you might be able to go thu it youself with the right info. Might need to determine if it is a one piece or two housing for parts or replace. Notice if you have leaks at pump mountings, releif for bolts at flange can cause leak. Good Luck.

  2. #2grimlock972011-07-10 02:48

    Thanks again iron, I wanted to pull it and check everything before spending 1800 on a used one that has been re sealed, ill try to take lots of pictures in case anyone else has to do this.

  3. #3Rooster752011-07-10 12:42

    You may check at brkentractor.com, they some dresser parts. They are in Baton Rouge La.,I think. Good Luck.

  4. #4Rooster752011-07-10 12:45

    Brokentractor.com , don't have fingers suitable for typing

  5. #5eric30782011-07-24 14:12

    hi I have a question on a torque converter on a Gation t500a with the grade o matic trans. It takes a liitle bit of time to get moving (assuming it needs to build pressure) then works fairly well and all of a sudden it will stop moving like it lost converter pressure does that sound about right that the torque converter is going out

  6. #6grimlock972011-07-25 08:55

    from my experience with this TD7E it sounds more like my initial problem, one of the lines were stopped up with trash and the tq converter is not getting enough fluid moving through it, and the whole system is not getting enough fluid moving through it. When i first walked my machine out of the woods it would go for about 100 feet then stop moving, i had to shut it down and let it cool down for a while then crank it up and move it a hundred feet or so. I would flush the entire system and check all screens at the transmission pump and to the TQ converter. Just a start.

  7. #7ayrhead2012-01-11 18:30

    Hi Grimlock: I have the TD7E manual. Section 5 covers the torque convertor. I can upload it onto a website for you to download if you want it for FREE. Let me know if you want it and I'll send you a link to download the file. I'm not uploading the entire manual as it is too big. Just uploading Section 5. E-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested. Harry

  8. #8stmach712023-04-19 08:51

    hey guys new to the site. i just got a td7e that needed the engine rebuilt. long story short i rebuilt the engine and it runs like a top, however it is now leaking fluid between the pump flange and torque converter housing. From reading through this thread i noticed your comment about the "relief for bolt mountings" Can you expound on that please?