I just got aware of the presence of a final gear oil on my mini digger. This oil have probably never ever been changed. This is what the manual say about this oil: MIL. L. 2105 B MIL. L. 2105 C MIL. L. 2105 API:GL5 All temperatures SAE 80W90. I have a 5-liter of the following : Silogram Lubrications Corp. SAP 85W140 Heavy Duty Gear Oil. Meets and exceeds : MIL. L. 2105 D API/GL-5 MACK GD-H PG-1 / PG-2 Can I use this? It seems my oil exceed the MIL. L rating in the manual (2105D , as the manual say 2105B / C), but the temperature range is some what different. Does it matter? On my car, the manual say 5-30, but I use 5-50 or 0-40.
Api/gl5 is the same minimun quality norm in both oils (manual´s oil and your oil),I think you won´t have problem with this oil only if you don´t exceed 20 km/h wait more replies..
It will do the job just fine.
Thaks. Does it matter if the oil is old? I bought it 8-9 years ago, but it has never been opened.
No problem.
I've changed the final drive oil today. That oil must be the most sticky lubricant I've ever had my hans on. Changing the oil was really easy. Just unscrew two plugs to drain the old oil and fill new. I suspect this oil have never been changed. It didn't look too good, but there was still plenty left. Think I'll run it for a while and do a seccond change.
I wanna be there when he does, that will have to be a record of some kind. B-)
Sadly, the last person renting my digger googled this thread when he got the idea of topping up the HYDRAULIC system, so he bought a 4-liter of API GL5 80W90 and put it on the hydraulics. So, for any one it might concern : FINAL DRIVE OIL DOES ---<<>>--- GO INTO THE HYDRAULICS !!! (IKKE FYLL DENNE OLJEN PÅ HYDRAULIKKEN!!!) <-- Norwegian
helvete, so put a lock on the tops with a big sign DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING,JUST CALL ME