Hi all. I have a Pel job EB12 sirius 1.5 tonne digger that's comparatively lightly used on the family farm. It has developed a problem on the final drive units for the left track. The bearings virtually all disintergrated causing the track to lock up. Looks like water ingress rusted the bearings up. I've stripped the unit down and am in the process of getting a quote for the bearings to rebuild the unit but was hoping someone could direct me to a source for either a complete replacement final drive unit or some parts to replace the most worn items in our units. I've stripped the other side as a precaution and although the oil was fairly clean I found one bearing was well on the way to failiure - could be as well for anyone with similar machines to check theirs for any metalic looking specks in the oil. I'm also after the gasketts for the final drive units. I discovered broken down bearings that are obviously not correct in one of the idler units What should the bearings in the idler be? roller ball or tapered roller and how many, what was in there was 4 sets of roller ball bearings and in the middle the remains of 2 futher roller ball inner races in the middle. Does anyone have any parts diagrams showing the correct bearing setup? Thanks for reading this and any advise or information. Matt
Update on this, looks like bearing shop can supply pretty much everything bar a new idler axle / spindle which I can easily machine from an old digger pin that was aound. I'm just copying the bodged bearing arrangement but with decent spacers rather than split (so very uneven) bearing tracks to prevent the bearings sliding sideways on the shaft. If anyone knows the correct oil level and type I'd be interested to hear from them, otherwise I'll go with ep90 transmition oil and fill 1 third of the casing so I can be sure everything gets a good dose of oil. From the look of the old stuff I'd geuss it's never been changed or topped up but after this little escapade of mechanicing I'll be adding final drive oil to the yearly checks - I'm sligfhtly miffed the professional mechanic from the firm that sold us the digger and did the annual services never checked these levels during the service or pre sale - the checking level allen bolts were full of concrete and overpainted so no doubt that the checks were neglected. (I've never had the machine near wet concrete myself, but looks like it had a bath in the suff at some point)
normaly a fill level would be at the 3 oclock position. seems that someone was in there and hacked on it. i would check everything visualy for prior repairs. things like silicon or newish gaskets that dont have paint on them may be a telltale sign of prior monkeywrenching. im sorry to hear that you got someone elses hack job, it happens all the time. i see thiings of that sort all the time. i would check all electricals too you never know what will go wrong next, also check the plumbing for very old filters, mismatched hoses and too many adapters. sorry if i sound like a pesimist but not all people who work as mechanics are any good at it. ive heard them called brokanics.
I think the rest is fairly good (some of the other machines we looked at elsewhere were far more clearly victims of brokanics) but that's a good call on the electricals as some really nasty cheap connectors have been used in places and and there a various things like horn that never worked. Overall though the machine seems fairly solid, I geuss at this age a few flaws are inevitable. Filters I know are new - at least fuel and hydraulic plus engine oil filters. It's things like the final drive oil that aren't obvious to ametures like me that seem to have been left. How often should the hydraulic oil be changed as opposed to topped up? I've been told that changing the hydraulic oil is only needed if it's suspected to be contaminated and that an annual filter change is all that's needed - seems optomistic if the engine oil is flushed every year (we'd never get enough hours on the clock to do a change sooner.)
All now fixed and filled with fresh ep90 oil both sides. Thanks for reading. I think after reading lots of other posts on this forum I can hopefully take over more of my own servicing on the digger and hopefully after reading quite a bit about the care that should be taken when operating a digger be able to use ours more sympathetically so it lasts better. It's been an expensive leaning curve but these machines are still well worth having if you have enough work for them - I think we'd struggle without ours now and we've only had it just under 3 years.
I believe it is recommended that hydraulic oil is changed every 1000 hours. I change the final drive oil every 250 hours when the engine oil is changed e.t.c
Hi Folks, my first post here, I Just bought my first digger, its a Pel Job EB12. Does anyone know if/where I can download a user and also a service manual? There a couple for sale on Flea bay, but £30 for a photocopied manual? £60 for the 2.. Theres something not right about paying that kind of money for a feint photocopy!! anyone have a pdf or can point me in the right direction??? Cheers scuse the Hi-Jack (new poster rules)