Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I know this isn’t good, but how bad is it?

Palmer78 ยท 2011-03-08 02:10

Ever since i've had my mini ex it's had large D-rings welded to the top of the blade frames right behind the blade itself. I use them to chain down on the trailer. The problem is that dirt will build up under the d-rings and lifts them. When I fully raise the blade and swing the housing around sure enough it smacks right into the d-rings and is a heck of a jolt. It throws me forward a little. This has probably happened 3 or 4 times when my head was in the clouds, and i'm concerned about the damage i might be doing to the main housing bearing. I don't notice any up and down play in the bearing but could I have damaged it anyway? I plan on cutting these off and welding them somewhere else in the near future. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Replies2
  1. #1nickbowers2011-03-08 07:04

    if its only been a few times it will be fine. I have seen so called opperators trying to knock things over by swinging around and hitting them with the boom, the machines seem to last ok

  2. #2Palmer782011-03-08 16:25

    I'm not too concerned about the tail end just hitting the d-rings, but it kind of bounces over them and i'm worried about the the upward force it must be putting on the housing. Almost like driving a huge wedge between the blade and the housing that forces it up and must put a huge strain on the main housing bearing.