Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Final drive stopped moving track.

antpoo ยท 2018-04-07 07:31

Hello I've just had a potential disaster. The track on my js240 right hand side became jerky before stopping entirely and refusing to budge. Earlier in the day I smelt a bearing sort of smell I think, but as I didn't see any issues I continued to work. The tracks seemed really lacking in power for a week now before this has happened. I thought it was just sand and debris in the tracks and I would raise excavator and run track to clear and this appeared to work for a little. When I realised track would no longer move I lowered back to the ground but accidently bumped the controls and the left track put pressure tomove on the right track and I think I heard a cracking sound like crunched bearings. Has anyone had this experience and knows what it may be and likely cost? I think it may be bearings or sun gear. Would this require a full rebuild? Thank you Regards Andy

Replies5
  1. #1Tones2018-04-07 07:59

    Contact Travel Motors Direct. Murray may be able to help and would be cheaper than OEM. Your problem maybe as simple as a buggered spline. Remove the cover off the planetary hub and pull the sun gear, that should tell story.

  2. #2John C.2018-04-08 11:36

    Just draining the oil out of the final drive will most likely tell you what you want to know. If the oil has a silver color and you see some nuggets, you will be looking at replacing a final drive. If you go to drain the oil and nothing comes out then you will need to review your maintenance practices.

  3. #3antpoo2018-04-10 18:32

    Hello, I took cover off and found my problem alright.

  4. #4Vetech632018-04-11 06:58

    Yeah, they wont turn like that! LOL

  5. #5Tones2018-04-11 07:55

    Well that's a bugger. I suggest you strip the hub and motor off the machine. There is more that likey there's a duo cone seal behind that mess and any debris that isn't cleaned out will stuff it. Same with the seal on the output shaft on the hydraulic motor. BTDT, it's not nice but the cheapest way is a proper job, any shortcuts usually bite you in bum.