Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Finally fixed the dreaded MM55SR excavator for good.

naved · 2026-04-23 06:48

I finally fixed my MM55SR !!! I’ve retrofitted a complete hydraulic system from another digger into it. Swapped in the main pump, valve block, pipework, hoses and controls, then reworked everything to suit the machine. When the whole setup arrived from an excavator dismantler in one big crate, it was a daunting sight and I honestly thought, what have I got myself into? But with perseverance and determination, I got it done. It now runs a load-sensing pump, so the engine works far better, and all the controls are now pilot operated. I’ve even got a spare slice on the valve bank ready for attachments if I decide to run extra lines later. I reused all the original cylinder hydraulic lines, and everything fit nice and snug in the machine. Now it works great — better than the original setup, smoother, quicker, and far more responsive.

Replies11
  1. #1BC Placer gold2026-04-23 11:49

    That is an impressive achievement!

  2. #2John Shipp2026-04-23 12:48

    Yes, I am impressed too. A proper jigsaw puzzle. You must know your machine very well now, having been all through it

  3. #3Nige2026-04-23 13:35

    What machine did you use for a donor of all the hydraulic system parts.?

  4. #4John C.2026-04-23 15:01

    Wow! what to you do in real life? That project takes great organization skills as well as mechanical know how.

  5. #5naved2026-04-23 18:40

    Thanks mate. I knew i could be done just got to get stuck in and do it!

  6. #6naved2026-04-23 18:41

    Yeah absolutely I knew a little bit about hydraulics going into it, but now understand them alot better. Its not just valve bank and controls there are also all these special hydrulic components in the mix too.

  7. #7naved2026-04-23 18:42

    All came out of a 2014 Hitachi ZX50

  8. #8naved2026-04-23 18:43

    Im a heavy fabricatior by trade but now I 3d design material handling machinery. Expert in tinkering haha

  9. #9John C.2026-04-23 21:41

    Nice, you are basically doing this for a living.

  10. #10naved2026-04-24 00:28

    Definitely not heavy machinery. More like apple packing machines.

  11. #11Stevetas2026-08-27 03:56

    Hi guys, can anyone please tell me what the right hand floor pedal is for and how you slew the boom on the MM55SR? Thanks!