I been looking around for a couple years for a decent tandem dump. This is a converted road tractor , most of the use will be as a tractor pulling a 20 ton Trail King float. I will haul some topsoil from time to time. We have guys here that haul quarry rock for a living and the charges are reasonable so I plan to keep using them , and they have tri axles as well. This truck has an N14 with 9 speed and a 13 foot bed made by Jayco , looks well built. Everything seems to work. The only thing I have found is the cooling fan seems to be stuck on. I don't know if its a solenoid or what but plan on looking into it later.
Well now you have to register it and insure it and pay the Heavy Highway Use Tax and tires and brakes and DOT fines and CDL physicals and hours of service and maintenance and scale house idiots... but you got it when you need to haul! You should get good service outta that engine and tranny. Is it spring suspension? I'm guessing a 90s Volvo? Sometimes you can at least haul materials while it's too wet to work so you can spread some of those fixed costs over some more miles. Current Chinese blower fans last about 4 months to a couple of years, it is sickening what the politicians have heaped on us and yes I'm teed off about it.
Not bad at all. I have a "WhiteGMC by VolvoGM Heavy Truck Corporation" tractor that I'm well pleased with. Mine is a heavy spec lowboy tractor that came from a state-owned utility with 192,000 miles. The only thing I've found to be unavailable is the electronic dash. My truck is a '92, and that was the first year for an electronic dash, which is partly electronic and partly mechanical. In '93 they came out with an all electronic version. I just put some more mechanical gauges in. The only other problem I've had is that the name confuses the DMV and the insurance company. They keep telling me they don't care what color my GMC is. On edit: If the radiator fan is stuck on, that's good. It'll cost you a fraction of a mile an hour at highway speeds, but you'll never notice.
I like it ! Short wheelbase tandem dump that you can go places the tri & quad axils won't . Plus pull tag trailer to move equipment with . Good move Bro:thumbsup
Got the same thing with a 15' box, 60 series Detroit instead of the Cummins, wish it was a Cummins though Its a great truck, yours looks like its in good shape! How long is the box? WG64 right?
If the truck has sat for a while, the fan could just be sticky. My 2000 with N14 is like that if it sits for too long.
The box is 13' long , it has spring suspension on it. I thought the fan could be stuck , it sat for about 8 months or little longer. The fenders need a little glassing in but no big deal. Bought it in Tennessee and drove it to central KY never had a hiccup. I had a single axle tractor White GMC and it was a good truck.
Thats a decent size box, what is yours GVW? I like the setback front axle on the 90's Volvo/White GMC's, helps the turning radius. I think our truck was a road tractor too, but its quite a bit longer.
Movindirt , nice looking rig. What type suspension is under yours. I was wanting a short wheel base because I travel a lot of 1 lane roads , it gets tight in places. This truck needs minor tlc , one fender is cracked , but already have it glassed in. I know the Hendrickson walking beam better suits a dump , but this will mainly be a tote.
It just has leaf springs on each of the back axles, it was a converted road tractor which is nice because it has all the extra air plumbing for trailer brakes, which from what I have heard it wouldn't have had if it left the factory spec'ed for a tandem. This truck has a GVW of 54k lbs. Weighs in at about 22k empty. I was really surprised at how tight the front tires turn, seems they almost turn 90* to the cab :tong