My trusty F550 is starting to show its age so I’m forward planning to phase it out by fall 2019. Since I’ve been predominantly in a mining environment I decided to build a truck that will tolerate the haul roads and severe conditions. I’m going up a few sizes, hoping the new cab and chassis works out good. 2001 Freightliner FL80 4x4 Extra cab 3126 w/9 speed (probably convert to auto) 4.68 ratio final drive Not sure of the original build spec but it seems considerably taller and tougher than the average 4x4? Ex oilfield, I’m the second owner. Going to change out a few things to make the unit solid and reliable, frame up re spray and then send it to get a service body. Final configuration is not decided on at this point. I’d really like to keep my knuckle set up but may be limited by cash. We’ll see...
Not to throw cold water, you probably know better than me but around here 3126 is a four letter word.
Yep... won't be my first encounter with one and I agree, certainly not the best power pack. The way I see it, I've bought into the truck as an evolving project. I'm also using my money not the banks so my choice is limited. To tear out the power train and replace is something I'll be considering when I've got the truck up and running and showing me some pay back. I personally like the Detroit 50 series mated with an Allison. Change of subject; Grass Valley, thats where my Uncle lives... Small world right!
Looks like a former Schlumberger truck, though most of their fleet (at least here in the states) are Peterbilt 357's. They all have white crew cabs with painted blue frames and bumpers very similar to your truck. They also used to run a bunch of Pete 362 cabovers, but they have ventured away from them over the last 10 years or so.
One thing I do remember about the F L-series cabs is the rear mount brackets Where is tied to the frame or air suspension depending on what configuration you have it would sometimes tear the tin was too thin there. something you may want to look at reinforcing
It certainly is I’ll certainly look at that... not sure, but you’d expect the extra cabs be tougher ?
Most of my experience was with the FL seventies Where's a rigid mounted cab perhaps the air suspension won't be such a problem It's a nice rig in sounds like it's up to task wish you the best of luck
It’s a dandy start to one. Nice thing is you can build it into whatever you want.....