Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Finally took one home

stumpjumper83 ยท 2011-07-16 19:15

Finally after looking for just the right dozer for about a year I found what I was lookin for. Went to an auction today where they had a 550g foresty, had my letter of credit and all, but they machine sold for 26k and all I was willing to spend was 19.5 cause of a 10% buyers premium + tax... And I even took the dump and trailer... So I found this guy at the sale trying to sell one locally and it was actually on my way home. 20k later it was on the trailer! A little more hrs than I would have liked at 8k, but repairs were kept up, and I was buying a runnin machine from someone who didn't just loose his business, all this guy wanted was a cab. Could have had a simular machine without the forestry package for about 18k w/ brand new tracks, but these are 80% or so and the winch and screens are worth something along with being on my way home...

Replies17
  1. #1Aussie Leroy2011-07-16 20:22

    stumpjumper83; She looks like a good thing, what year????? and well done Leroy

  2. #2mitch5042011-07-16 21:39

    I'da bought it.

  3. #3Trashman2011-07-16 21:43

    Nice looking machine!

  4. #42stickbill2011-07-16 22:54

    That Forestry Package might come in hany one day.At least you got it if you need it.Nothing like a limb slapping you in the face.

  5. #5stumpjumper832011-07-17 06:32

    aussie, not sure of the year, has to be about an 89' with the 2 top rollers. My plan is to use it this summer and fall, paint it in the winter and go from there. Yes 2 stick, and I bought it because I have about 3 miles of skid trail to clean up and some more to build, and I'm sure dad would like a few things graded up here and there. So with a carco 30 winch, how do I make it power out as well as power in? Right now its a skidding winch with freespool and power out.

  6. #6hvy 1ton2011-07-17 14:56

    Looks a little rough, but it'll be a worker. Another plus to the forestry kit is the brush guard on top of the blade. That one will keep the brush rolling and limbs out of the rad. On the winch, I think 4 shaft models(0 in second to last digit) can be converted, but there are a lot of bits involved. Talking to someone at paccar or a dealer would be a good idea before dropping money on parts.

  7. #7norite2011-07-17 17:27

    Thats the way to buy them, not with a fast paint job to hide all the problems. Good looking machine.

  8. #8stumpjumper832011-07-17 21:44

    Yeah plan is to run it the rest of the year, and paint it come december. Tomorrow i'm going to try to change the motor oil, hydraulic filter, and go over it good before I go dirt pushin.

  9. #92stickbill2011-07-17 21:54

    The winch I'm not sure but I all ways liked the free spool.If your stuck and no one to help it's a lot better to free spool.I've done it with power out an it's a pain.

  10. #10stumpjumper832011-07-18 06:23

    For foresty work and general retreiving freespool is what you want, but what about repelling other equipment down steep slopes? With a freespool winch your relying on that little brake bnd not to overheat as you lower whatever you have hooked to the bottom. With a power out, that load can be mechanically braked. The cat's that I've ran have had a 4 position winch, in, out, free, and brake. That being said, I'm not in the pipelining business right now, thought there is alot of pipeline work commin to my area. With were I'm at right now, the most I'd have hooked to it would be my 7 ton mini or a farm tractor and bushhog. With the farm tractor I'd pull them up mowing, then let them drive the road down and re-hook, and pull them up again... Steep pasture ground is a real PITA

  11. #11brushmaster902011-07-18 22:19

    Pretty nice machine ya got, ida took her as well granted she was a little pricy.

  12. #12stumpjumper832011-07-22 16:58

    Well I was able to put her to work on her first job Tuesday. I have to say that the direct drive, while it takes some getting used to for up close stuff, is a very powerfull drive set up. The tractor feels very simular power wise to a cat d5g! Its quick, powerfull and very nice grading machine once you get used to hitting neutral to stop rather than just the decell. Overall I'm impressed.

  13. #13Huntaholic2011-07-30 09:13

    Congrats! Like you, I was in the market for a good used machine. It took me the better part of 2 months to find something I could live with and afford. LOL. I looked at several machines and one thing I tried to AVOID was a new shiny paint job. Paint hides cracks and wear. I ended up buying a 650G. Decent machine, good winch, (a MUST in my line of work) 500 hrs on a new engine, 90% under carriage, unbroken and unwelded C frame, direct drive, in all, pretty much what I was looking for. A couple things Im not too fond of are its peddle steer, and has a 10ft blade. I still havent got used to winching with a peddle steer dozer, and that blade is just too much to get through the woods!

  14. #14Deereman2011-07-30 17:25

    I think once you get used to the foot pedals, you will love them. Or it could just be me. Sounds like you got an LGP?? And yes I usually try to avoid the new shiny paint jobs. But sometimes you get lucky and find a one owner!! Stump Jumper, Yea it looks like a 89. If you get a chance can you take a pic of the ball joint on the blade??

  15. #15stumpjumper832011-07-30 21:15

    yeah can do deereman, i know that has been an issue on these dozers, fortunatly mine isn't too bad. do you need soem reference photos?

  16. #16Deereman2011-08-01 19:27

    no you beat me to the punch. I was just going to give you a heads up but your on top of things

  17. #17Huntaholic2011-08-02 12:47

    Yeah its an LGP/WT machine that has had the chains/pads replaced with standard width pads. This is the best climbing machine Ive ever set down on. She does a pretty awesome job of pushing too for a 6 way set up.