Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

find the owner of a heavy equipment

aqeel1 · 2010-01-16 20:15

Does any body know How Can we find the owner of a heavy equipment (an excavator) from its license plate number?

Replies15
  1. #1Lee-online2010-01-16 20:39

    I can find who the equipment was originally sold to and by what dealer but not the current owner if it has been resold. Cat stuff only though.

  2. #2Arabhacks2010-01-16 20:52

    CanReg. Hello. Ask any cop, he should be able to have dispatch run the plate.

  3. #32stickbill2010-01-16 22:18

    Who puts license plates on a excavator beside State,County,and City. Maybe a Gradall.

  4. #4heavylift2010-01-16 23:52

    I think I remember seeing a Colorado Plate of some kind on some equipment... The bigger question is why so you want to know.... If nothing else they can track them by VIN# ....to see if it has been stolen....

  5. #5Arabhacks2010-01-17 00:52

    Texas Plates. Hello. How about anyone who might operate this on public property in Texas? http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdotefo...eportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml The cost of the plate is $5.30 The fine for not having this plate is $297 total, plus you Must appear. Failure to appear is $1128 plus you have to explain to the judge why you did not appear. After the judge has the police talk to the superintendent they not only take him in but also the GC who got smart and told the police that they could not be there. I had to pay none of this, but after everything was said and done it cost well over $3000. All over a $5.30 license plate. :Banghead So, who puts a plate on a machine? Anybody who is in any way smart.

  6. #62stickbill2010-01-17 01:20

    Yes I see.It says conventional vehicle whit cranes drag lines mounted on them.Does not mean a tracked machine are a rubber tired machine that is not mounted on a truck.All you need for the highway is a slow moving vehicle triangle.I went through that one with the DPS Trooper.Got a warning.

  7. #7Arabhacks2010-01-17 02:21

    Smv Hello. Read that again, it say everything But cranes and the like. I had a GC who decided that he was right and was very bull headed. I got the ticket but the officer made it clear on the report that I was simply doing what I was told. The day I was to appear the judge was already told of what to expect so I was simply told by DPS to show up, in person at the construction site, the other 2 were taken into custody. I sat in the courtroom for perhaps 30 minutes. The GC sat in jail until the next morning when he could bond out. His attorney made it very clear, the law does require some sort of markings, and the plate makes it easy. But, to be sure, the GC was being a pain, this changed his whole way of thinking. I now know Exactly what the law says, I carry a certified copy of the vernon's with me. And, to add insult to injury, putting a SMV triangle on a piece of machinery will require you have insurance on that machine, remember that the state law says all Motor Vehicles operated on public roads, and a Slow Moving Vehicle emblem is just that. There is an exemption for Farm tractors. Bottom line is this, be nice to the police. :cool2

  8. #8Turbo218352010-01-17 09:27

    Well this time of year in Michigan, ask the tax man. Because hes out there finding all the equipment he can, so he can send you a tax bill on each piece of equipment you have.

  9. #92stickbill2010-01-17 11:07

    Maybe you should read it again.I been working on and around construction close to 30 yrs.And the only thing on the job requiring license plate was a vehicle not a piece of equipment.In fact the State reqires all Vehicals to have License plate and State Inspection stickers.As for insurance thats what general liability is for.And to work on all most any job you have to carry it.SMV does not require you to put insurance on anything.

  10. #10stock2010-01-17 15:47

    Construction Machinery Criteria — Construction machinery must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for the $5.30 machinery license plates: It must be an unconventional machine, such as those built from the ground up, designed and fabricated to perform a job relating to that type of construction. It is a vehicle that is not designed or used to tow or transport property or persons, other than those persons who may be required to operate such machinery in the function of its design and purpose. Machinery vehicles are vehicles, which are actually designed for special construction purposes. Machinery — Conventional vehicles with cranes, draglines, or other similar machinery mounted thereon, must be registered with regular registration. Well my reading of this is that a backhoe or other item qualifies for the rebated plate but any truck mounted item of plant is not and the truck is required to have a full reg plate.

  11. #11Arabhacks2010-01-22 09:31

    Correct. Hello. Correct. And it also depends on what county you are in. In Bexar county, have a shotgun in your pickup rack and you m get pulled over and cited. In fact, Gov' Rick Perry signed into law the you can keep a gun in your car thing due to the cops getting this wild hair. But, to be sure, if you are a white guy on a backhoe the cops pretty much leave you alone. Be a Mexican and you can Expect to get a visit from the local cops at least once a month. I was at Lackland AFB just a year ago and had a Bexar county cop ask me some questions. The members of the 343rd Training Squadron who saw this all go on were so very much not impressed. but there is a major push underfoot to change history in our public schools. http://tfninsider.org/2009/07/07/blacklisting-cesar-chavez/ I am the exception, I know this. http://www.sanantonio.gov/mlk/ I am the guy who did the march with a Mexican flag. So, every little rule, every little law, applies 100% to me. :usa

  12. #12swampdog2010-01-22 23:56

    Are you serious? I've never heard of such a tax. How much does it amount to?

  13. #13Tom Spivak2010-01-29 21:22

    License plate on excavator in Ontario, never heard of it.

  14. #14Cat is ALL2010-01-29 23:20

    That sounds about as ridiculous as having tail lights on the back of an excav. lol always worth a good laugh.

  15. #15Arabhacks2010-01-30 01:52

    Texas. Hello,. This is Texas, home to GWBush, anything for the government to make a buck. :usa