Hi folks - Ihave a - you guess it - Komatsu. I'd like to clean up some of the worst parts of the machine that have exterior rust. I like the John Deere industrial yellow paint, but it seems quite expensive. Do you guys have a source for industrial yellow paint that is of fair quality? The machine will be wire brushed, sprayed with rust convertor, primed, then topcoated. thanks for any help.
we buy cat paint relatively cheap at the cat dealer, compared to automotive paints.
Best bet if you want it to match would be to go to the dealer. There are hundreds of shades of yellow available from paint suppliers, the dealer will be the closest match in most cases. Mark
Just get a couple cans of spray paint. At $2.99 a can, its cheap and if it chips or fades it just takes a second to touch up. We use Rustoleum Equipment Yellow at the quarry for the Cats. When a machine has downtime the greaseman will touch it up while the mechanics work on it. If your doing a restoration I'd say go with the good stuff but if you just want to keep the rust to a minimum I'd go cheap and easy. :yup On edit: Just reread your post and must of skipped the part on all the prep work you're doing. Also check your local paint stores and some auto paint and body shops will be able to point you in the right direction if you don't want to use OEM.
I've seen and bought implement type paint from Menards before. They had the bigger Co's colors like JD, Cat, etc. in rustolium quarts and gallons. I don't know how big an area Menards stores cover, but imagine the others like Home Depot etc. might be the same. It comes out ok (good enough for me), but if you want it too look like "new" the Automotive quality paints like Dupont or the OEM are better. The ability to spray the paint well is also a big part of the final appearance. I can do it, but it's definately not perfect when I'm done. It takes alot of practice to make a paint job look good when spraying by gun (and not by a spraycan)with no dry spray or runs. I've had better luck spraying with the implement paint than auto paint for some reason. It's doesn't seem as touchy to me, or as critical when thinning. Part of the reason why I buy it when I'm spraying.:bouncegri Good luck!!:thumbsup
Ask Dawn, it loooks like he can spray paint pretty good!:notworthy
Dwan? Yup, I agree!! He kept the pictures of his grader painting job coming real good too, but then they just dried up.:beatsme Hook us up again Dwan! Jmac promises he'll quit calling you Dawn if you do!!:bouncegri
oops. i told you guys that I can't spell or type for crap. Or maybe it was on purpose.
That's ok, although Dwan might never, we'll still forgive you......................eventually...................maybe.:wink2 I was looking through my paint leftovers and I found that I'd also bought Cat yellow "Rust Stop machine & implement" paint from Ace hardware. It's an enamal that thins with acetone or even mineral spirits. I think I used it on my trailer. Definately not in the same league as Dupont though. I think the "protection" would still be there, but it probobly wouldn't have the same shine. I had my dumptruck sprayed with implement paint (I was chicken to try), it looks ok The black and red ran about $700 for just the paint. Automotive paint would've easily been double that. I sprayed my ROPS with it myself IIRC it was just under 2 quarts paint + reducer used, but alot of it was overspary trying to get coverage on tubes and the protective grating. I primed it with spraycans.
The reason the thread has dried up on the grader is because of the snow we have been having. Cheep paint is just that, the better the paint the more it costs, that is not to say just because it cost more it is better. KomatsuD20A; You will find that the finish paint is the easest part of the job, all the prep work is what takes the most time. If you use Dupont or Martin Senior, or most any other brand of Paint for equipment, auto, trucks, planes, etc you will find it will cost an arm and leg. The better brands will not fade or chalk up as fast as the cheeper ones will. Cats flat yellow is that for a reason. it does not fade much. Saftey yellow like JD yellow is bright and a great color to use. ACE hardware, rustolium, Home Depot and others have oil based paint that will hold its color for 3 to 5 years for under $100 a gal. Just remember to put it on thick enough to keep any moisture from geting to the metal underneath it but not so thick it will run. Primer is porus and will not block moisture. That is why it needs a top coat. When you finaly decide on a brand see if they also sell it in spray cans that way it is easy to touch up when needed. The grader I am working on is easly going to cost me over $2500 in paint alone. That is more then I paid for the machine. Pm me with your phone# if you want or I can send you mine if you have any particuler questions. As far as spelling no one is worse then me. But that is what one gets from droping out of school. Dwan
equipment paint I am told that most paints put on new equipment is low V.O.C. (volatile organic compound?) and is a high solid paint. Im not exactly what all that means except that it is more environmentally friendly and more expensive than prior paints. Light colors like Yellows are more expensive for paint manufactures to produce due to increased pigment needed to achieve the light colors. Sherwin Williams makes a new premium paint called Sher Kem and they offer it in quite a few colors including equipment yellows. I have also seen the gloss black and it is a very hardy paint and has a very nice appearance. The bad thing about the Sher Kem is the dry time is much longer than many off the shelf paints that hardware stores carry. I like paint that Tractor Supply carries because it is made for tractors and implements. I was told that automotive paint spiders when impacted and tractor paint is made to take a blow and not show distress as the automotive paint will. I have used the Tractor Supply paint to repaint my trailer, it is priced right and it is holding up very well. They offer it in many different colors including 5 or so yellows and they sell it in quarts which allows you to buy a small amount to test colors. Good luck Alan
The easiest way to explain High Solids is- all paints and coatings have Vehicle and VOC. Vehicle being the solids VOC being everything that evaporates after application, lets say your paint is 50% solids. You apply 1 gal to the surface, when all is said and done "cured" there is 1/2 a gall on that surface. Taking into consideration waste from over spray.