Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Finding the right 10W-30 oils

DirtyHoe ยท 2017-02-03 10:28

My 2000 Thomas skid steer has Eaton Char-Lynn hydraulic components along with a Kubota V2203-E diesel engine. The manual specifies all outdated API classifications. The hydraulic oil and chain case should be 10W-30 with an "SJ" API. The Kubota engine should be 10W-30 with a "CF" API. There are lots of opinions here of changing over to a regular hydraulic oil and using a synthetic oil for the motor. I would rather stick to the manufactures recommendations and not second guess their engineering decisions. I'm not sure what to use in the hydraulics because most 10W-30 oil is full of additional additives for use in motors, not in hydraulics. So my question is with all of the 10W-30 oils offered by Case, John Deere, Bobcat, and auto supply stores where do I find the correct reasonably priced product offered in 5 gallon buckets? I'm thinking of Shell Rotella T4 in a 10W-30 for the motor? Thanks!

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2017-02-03 11:25

    Sure, that sounds like a great choice. API SJ 10W30 was not a hydraulic oil, so SM or whatever will work just as well for the hydraulics. The chain case doesn't care what is in it as long as it's not water.

  2. #2kshansen2017-02-03 13:08

    Well that and mud! I always figured that anything in those chain cases was better than what a motorcycle chain has to deal with especially those dirt bikes! Seen a lot of skidsteers with broken chains but don't think I ever saw one that failed from rust!