i have a cat 303.5 afw00873 it has a 3013 engine 9tj0 the parts manual they gave me sebp3061-37 this is not the right manual i can see differences ie rocker box is different the manual says AFW1-up but my number is AFW0 i hope some one can help me
AFW1-up is Caterpillar shorthand for AFW00001-up.
The valve mechanism cover and the inlet manifold are separate components on the 3013, 3014 and 3024 engines. The valve mechanism cover and the inlet manifold have gaskets instead of seals. The valve mechanism cover is mounted on the bracket of the rocker assembly. The rocker assembly is mounted to the cylinder head.
Or put another way - "from first machine (i.e. #1) built". The online system shows the illustration below for the valve mechanism cover. Is that the same as your Parts Manual.?
thankyou this is not shown in my parts manual how do I get a parts manual that shows the 3013 engine? I'm having difficulty with the rocker box gaskets and the oil ring on the piston. These things appear different in the manual I have.
Yes, that's the picture in my manual, but it doesn't match the engine I have. (I always wanted to meet Ronnie Barker)-
That is a question you'll have to pose to your dealer I'm afraid. Every resource to which I have access points to SEBP3061-37 being the correct Parts Manual for your machine Serial Number. MAchine AFW1-Up, Engine 9TJ1-Up. NOTE: Sometimes illustrations in manuals are not exactly identical to the physical parts on a machine that they (allegedly) represent. In general, however, they usually fit. I'll not guarantee that 100% though........ As regards your questions about the gasket and the piston rings please see the attachment and check it against the Part Numbers in your manual.
This Sits on top of this
thankyou that is the manual that i have but it doesn't cover the 3013 engin
Something somewhere doesn't add up......... I went in using the engine Serial Number of your particular machine (9TJ00805). The engine model comes up in the system as a 3013 and the parts breakdown shows me exactly the same illustrations and Part Numbers that I posted in the attachment above.
One last throw of the dice. Have a look on your engine Data Plate or sticker. Next to the Serial Number should be an Arrangement Number. What is it.? I can see two possibilities, 168-3312 or 231-7677.
its a 1683312 so this is the piston and the oil ring you see how it is 3 parts ill send a pick of what cat sent me
i thought of putting this in with the two rings from the old ones my friend didn't like that idea
OK, so your engine Arrgt is confirmed, and the parts listed in the book are correct for it, whether you search by machine S/N, engine S/N, or engine Arrgt Number. Everything takes leads the same place and the same Part Numbers listed on Pages 5 & 6 of the "Valve Cover" attachment I posted in Post #7 above. The oil control ring has changed Part Number and the design has changed. The original oil control ring per when your engine was built in 2000 was a 423-8448 Ring Assembly, 3 pieces containing 2 rings and a "coil". This ring was part of a (now discontinued) 217-1456 Piston Ring set containing 2 compression rings plus an oil ring assembly. 217-1456 was initially replaced with 484-9911. The replacement oil control ring Part Number is a 424-3213 Ring Assembly comprising 1 ring and 1 "coil", introduced in January 2018. The latest Part Number of Piston Ring kit for 2 compression rings plus an oil ring assembly is now 626-6715. Having said that 217-1456 still shows as a good Part Number containing the following - 1 x 423-8330 compression ring, 1 x 423-8335 compression ring, and 1 x 424-3213 oil control ring assembly. Out of interest what Part Number Ring Kit did Cat supply you.?
4849911 thank you so much for this information
You were supplied with the correct kit in that case. I'm of the opinion that the 626-6715 Kit is so new (only released end-Nov 22) that it has probably not even got to dealers yet.
so talked to my local cat part dealer he had the numbers he could see what they were but could not order them
Which numbers exactly are you referring to.?
424-3213 626-6715 217-1456
424-2313 is not available separately under that Part Number. It is only available as part of a kit (484-9911) of three piston rings. I have a resource that enables me to see the individual contents of a Kit. As I mentioned above, stocks of 626-6715 are most likely not available to dealers yet. The Part Number was only released about 6 weeks ago. As explained above 217-1456 is cancelled and replaced by 484-9911. Some systems are still showing 217-1456 as a good number but the in most important one (the Parts System) it is shown as having been replaced by 484-9911 which is what your dealer sold you..........
i took the piston off and it says this shibaura dose this mean it is a aftermarket part
Nope. Your engine was manufactured in Japan under the Caterpillar-Mitsubishi collaboration agreement that was in force at that time. Shibaura is a large Japanese piston manufacturer who probably supply pistons for a load of engine manufacturers including Mitsubishi. It would be quite likely that the pistons in a US-manufactured Cat engine would have the mark of a US piston manufacturer cast into them. Contrary to popular misconception Cat doesn't manufacture all their own parts.
i found this company total seal out of phoenix and they sent me a 3 part oil ring from the dimensions of bore and piston grove i let you know if this is successful
The 2-piece oil ring is a product improvement. I'm somewhat confused as to why you would want to go backwards to the old design but hey it's your engine.