Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Finished pics of my dozer. All clean and purty. :D

pp13bnos ยท 2012-03-04 20:59

This last winter I got fed up looking at my D3, with its paint chips, scrapes, nicks and dings. So I did something about it. I first pulled off all guards, shields, plates, grills, pans,arm rests, seat, or anything else that would come off. Card boarded/taped off sensitive areas that don't like grit to much. Then sand blasted the it down to bear metal. Primed it, and shot it myself. It turned out not to bad actually. But, get to close and you'll see a couple runs. I was pretty happy the way the stickers even turned out. Since I went so far to tear this thing all apart, I figured I might was well replace the flunky fuel level sensor, couple knobs, one of the small guards by the track tensioner, fogged over AMP gauge, put a fire extinguisher on her...then while I had the belly pan off, (This is where it gets expensive...) I had the rear seal in the tranny replaced, as with the short little U joint. I mean, a seal and U joint cant be that expensive...right? Wrong. Got that back together, and thought maybe I should have the starter rebuilt, as it did seem to drag a little bit. Ended up getting a Cat reman one, as it was cheaper than having a local shop do it. :/ By this time, myself and the local cat parts man actually have got to know one another pretty well. While, I was crawling around the machine I noticed that the sprockets where getting pretty tired and chipped. Well, I figured, I better replace them too. Then, I was looking at the LGP pads....got a quote from cat and Berco...and decided I'd better stop while I'm still married. I snuck in a new seat without her knowing though. Anyways, after all is said and done, I'm pretty happy with it. I had a great time cleaning up my old girl.

Replies31
  1. #1wayneb2012-03-04 21:11

    Looks nice.I have worked in body shops for 30 years,i can relate to the amount of work you put into it.Just wondering what kind of paint you used??

  2. #2td25c2012-03-04 21:29

    Wow! It looks like a new dozer,Job well done pp13bnos :scool The decals look great! Thats a good idea to take care of the little odds & ends that need fixing while its apart for painting. We went though a dozer & scraper last year with repairs & paint.I wasent going to paint them but my dad said "may as well repaint it while ya gotter apart & cleaned up" so I did.I used acrylic enamel paint and like it so far.

  3. #3390eric2012-03-04 21:31

    Looks really good, its a long process but worth it in the end. I did our d8 earlier in the winter, had a month on it. Just finished spraying our tandem bed, really glad its time to start using the equipment now instead of fixing it up.

  4. #4pp13bnos2012-03-05 00:25

    Thanks guys for the compliments. I used rustoleum stuff, mixed with 20% xylene, and a low pressure gun. I turned waste oil burner on 75F, for 3 or so days before I shot it.

  5. #5watglen2012-03-11 23:32

    Nice Job!

  6. #6maddog2012-03-12 08:43

    Looks good, nice job

  7. #7bullet300xs2012-03-12 11:06

    Nice Job!

  8. #8jeff1122012-03-12 23:35

    Looks good,I need to find the time to get my machine painted ,hate to get it dirty now,I suppose that's what pictures are for.

  9. #9Andre Grondin2012-03-13 09:09

    Hi ! Very nice job ! remember ! there is no greater lie than saying "cheap" on any heavy equipement repairs !!! lol but that beast looks very good !! all dressed up and hopefully many place to go !!!!

  10. #10pp13bnos2012-03-14 00:26

    Andre, your right. There is no way to do cheap...and have it last any length of time. I try to do everything I possibly can in the winter time to it. During the summer time I only use it 150ish hrs, but I don't have time to do major repairs. (I'll grease and do minor stuff while it warms up.) I usually work 10-12 hrs a day, come home, jump on the dozer and push silage for a couple hours...so anytime that is spent fixing it, is time I could doing something else. Today, I put on a new fan belt, and was thinking about changing the final drive oils. Ahhh....allways something to tinker with.

  11. #11apoautomotive2012-03-14 04:53

    a nice job,

  12. #12Andre Grondin2012-03-14 09:29

    I know the feeling of not having enough time !!! I work too, got two teens ,no more wife , dozer to fix and so many hours of dozing (not sleeping) that I want to do !! and all in all those days have still only 24hrs !!! where the heck is the technology on time ???? .

  13. #13red_man802012-03-25 18:52

    Looks very nice, it is funny how a person tinkers on something they going to work with and get dirty, but it sure is a good feeling. I have a 235C for a play pretty.

  14. #14rabia2012-06-21 04:19

    wow very nice you done a great job it's looks like new Dozer i also really like it;'s yellow color....

  15. #15imdjack2012-06-21 08:52

    I agree super nice job.

  16. #16wosama931b2012-06-21 14:52

    Excellent paint job, and looks like new, nice work.

  17. #17guswa2012-06-22 05:20

    Are they original stickers or aftermarket they look original,iam doing my loader up and need to sticker it up.

  18. #18pp13bnos2012-06-22 10:36

    They are aftermarket. I used www.quipcal.com The only major issue I had was they forgot to send me the LGP sticker, but after a quick email, they sent it right out. Installing the stickers is pretty easy too. I just read the instructions, and watched a couple videos on youtube and it was all down hill from there. Best of luck!

  19. #19SeaMac2012-06-23 19:25

    That's a very sharp lookin' dozer, you did an excellent job. I used to infrequently operate a D3 back in the day, we used it primarily for curb work, pads and backfill.

  20. #20Seabass2012-06-23 23:21

    Looks great well done.

  21. #21Fastdirt2012-06-23 23:52

    Love the paint/decal job, looks great. What great machine to have.

  22. #22pbean2012-06-25 05:47

    Looks Nice!!

  23. #23grizly2012-06-26 22:58

    That looks freekin awesome ...

  24. #24pp13bnos2012-06-27 01:56

    Thanks guys for all complements. First job out, I put a log against a side engine guard denting it pretty good. Then 10 minutes later I had a log ride over the blade and hit the radiator guard. Well, I guess they are there for a reason. :/

  25. #25grizly2012-06-27 10:45

    i would rather remember her in the before pics ,thats a shame ...

  26. #26pp13bnos2012-06-27 19:21

    I removed the grill, and guard, and put them on a piece of plywood, and positioned 2x4s in key locations, and used my skidsteer to put some pressure on them to straighten them out. Didn't even take off the paint.

  27. #27Buckethead2012-06-27 19:41

    Excellent restoration job!

  28. #28DerelictTexture2012-07-02 22:11

    Here are a few Cats that need a coat of paint also...enough to last you the rest of your life, I'm guessing http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2012/04/cats-cat-tracks-and-backtracking.html

  29. #29D5Cat12012-07-05 12:39

    Nice!

  30. #30637slayer2012-07-06 03:27

    thats a sharp lookin dozer

  31. #31MrKomatsu2012-07-06 06:52

    Nice job....great work