Hey I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any dozers at this new fire , I have heard from some people that they arent using any dozers there because there wasnt any room for them to work , anyone have any info ? or pics?
Dozers aren't Ready I was at the office late the other night. The local CDF dozer driver stopped by. I asked if he was headed to Santa Barbara? He replied that he was called but couldn't go. Management had changed work hours through the winter and his D6 was still in pieces. Probably wouldn't be ready for another week. Kind of spooky, because a lot of these foothills will burn right now. Wild Pete
That doesn't sound good at all... never here about a fire engine missing a call out cuz the truck was pieces. ointhead Bureaucrats can screw up anything and everything within their reach.:bash
Wow not a good place to be during fire season ,youd figure that your dozer would be on the lowboy come spring , Any of LA countys dozers there?
The hillsides behind Santa Barbara are extremely steep. There is not much room for a dozer to work, particularly in the ravines. I've driven in the area and also flown over it. I remarked to my daughter at the time that I'd hate like hell to crash in the area because you might never get found. The brush is very thick all the way to the top and not many roads once you get up a little ways behind town. The roads are narrow as can be also, usually only one lane wide. Most of the homes being burned really shouldn't be there given both the extreme terrain and the fact that they have earthquakes all the time. Most people can't afford to live there anyway, it's a very expensive place to even visit. I feel for the firepeople that are engaged there, they have a mighty tough job.
Trucks down too Hvy 1Ton: It's funny that you should mention trucks being down. The same station has 2 of their 3 trucks in for winter service. I think they are trying to keep one of them ready at all times. Surfer-Joe: You're right about the area. You just left out one thing. It's also very rocky. Huge white rocks!!! Wild Pete
The paper this AM 5-9 says 30k have evacuated another 23K to be ready to go. A friend of mine got called to go with his D7, he declined though
There are 33 dozers assigned to the fire. 12 are Cal Fire. LA County sent a strike team yesterday, so they have a least 2 there.
You are correct Wild Pete, I did forget to mention the rock, of which there is a considerable amount. Just reading the papers this morning and I see that most of the evacuations have been called off now due to very moist and cooler conditions being present in the region. It's going to be a long, hot, smoky summer in California.
I wonder who CARB will fine for all this untreated fire smoke polluting the air?
yeah fire dozers are really cool. post some shots of them in Santa Barbara--would love to see them. where was the fire? was it above montecito, or on the other side of town?
I don't know, but I am sure they are trying to find someone. Maybe the poor guy they think started it while out clearing brush for a FIREBREAK.
^^^ huh?
Anybody looking for a seasoned fire dozer operator of 25 years, have all certs and interagency card and references.