Just got old "Elvira" my first D8K, all done up with her new brands after her paint job last fall. I had the lady at the decal shop make me the "Caterpillar" ones in the same font as from the 30's i think its from. Just found a pic of an old D2 on the net and she traced it out. Also my company Decal, won't look this good for long lol, trees and dirt take thier toll on vinyl decals.
One more
A D8K named Elvira, now that's a hoot! I love it. Nice decal job. Hey, what's that chrome looking thing on your throttle knob?
Kool cat man... atco, I'm going to giess its a skull themed knob that you can get at some auto parts places.
That was my first guess, a skull knob. Can't see enough of it to tell for sure.
That is REALLY cool! I was just thinking of painting my D6 in the early light grey, which I really like too.
Nice very nice!!!!!!!
"Elvira" Great decals.It looks like "Elvira,Mistress of the dozer".Is that a hydraulic pump on the back of Elvira?
Haha, Mistress of the Dozer..... We actually named her that because there was a radio station doing a transmissions test in our area the first summer I had her. They played the same 15 or so songs over and over again, and we were busy doing a big land clearing project for a big grain farmer not far from home.... and everymorning as I just pulling onto the site to flash her up at 6 am on the dot and "The Oak Ridge Boys - Elvira" would come on.... so it was just fitting I guess lol. But we name all our equipment goofy names.... The second one I bought is called "Big Jack" because it was the first ripper cat we had (Jack the Ripper) haha, Also have 2 320 excavators.... one older 320L named "Doris" and one newer 320C named "Shirelly".... Named after a hot old mom and her good looking daughter from the town closest to us hahahaha. No thats not a hydralic pump, those the plumbings for a 4 BBL ripper.
yup thats your average 15 dollar chrome skull, couldn't resist haha, the eyes don't light up anymore though, batteries are long dead! This cat has been around our place for far too long, if had i sold it when i should have, i would probably be 100K richer, but you know most men and thier iron... hard to part with it (which is a heavy construction man's biggest downfall) So her she is, rebuilt engine with about 1100 hours on it (non-spacer plate), new turbo, rebuilt torque converter, rebuilt transmission, rebuilt steering clutches, all new bearings and seals and bevel gear in the cross shaft, one rebuilt final drive, the other with about 3000 hours on it, new herring bone radiator, trans pump + scavenge pump replaced, all new hydraulic hoses for the transmission oil system, rebuilt reversable fan, a 80 percent undercarriage, and a new decal and paint job, all within the past year ...... a new lease on life (if i do say so) for one of the oldest D8K's around, a 1974 77V2945, May she harrass the local wildlife and green space for another 20 years to come! haha
It would seem to me that anyone who gives their machine "names"...would have a hard time parting with them. Now THAT'S the quote of the day folks! Oh, and I'll say this; ain't nuthin' sounds like the engine in a D8K!