Having a trend of tractor and trailer fires on Interstates here. Latest were this morning. An empty Trailer ‘Caught Fire’ on I-55 South of Pevely MO, distant pics but entire back end burned away, the other was a Steven’s transport refrigerated, load of ‘Lunchables’ total loss. Both appeared to have trailer axle fires got out of hand. Stevens unit, Refer and rear doors areas intact but from front trailer axle to right behind landing gear burned to structural failure. Why is it these pinheads are not checking seals or brakes dragging? Seems nit getting tickets.
Pure laziness, when I was taking care of 45 box trailers and 3 tractors, only 1 driver would actually do a tire check. Every morning, I would check over everything that was going out, brakes, tires, lights, whatever but the problem arose with trailers being picked up. Low tires, brakes sticking, from sitting so long. Then when they were running, tires shredded, flat spots, it was very aggravating. Just to lazy to actually do the pre-check.
I don't exactly know the reasons why it seems more frequent, but I know over the last 8-10 years we see the majority of wheel bearing fires this time of year, specifically when we get the first real cold snap. If I had to venture a hypothesis, I'd guess that these wheels are probably way low on oil, and after they've sat all night and cooled off completely, when they get put back to work they gall up before what little oil is left can warm up and move around. We usually get a fire call around this time, we have the previous 3 years in a row.
75x90 synthetic is best to use, the rest is thicker. Although some trailer manufactures have gone back to grease. Plus it's winter, no one wants to get on hands and knees to crawl around, so more defective equipment on the road. And DOT is the same, don't want crawl around in muck. Tires are full of chain links because tire inflation systems keep them full, sort of.
Every morning when I leave (after I do my pre trip) I roll forward a little and then push the clutch to see how easily it keeps rolling. Where I park, if it comes to a stop too quick and doesn't roll back just a little, better find out why.
I was just pondering the same thing. Saw a 53’ crispy critter this week.
That's old school, your not suppose to do that, cannot be doing old school in 2026.
What's a clutch?
Eagle seen double clutching a branch. *
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this. I'm not a truck driver so I don't know what some of these terms are. I basically know what double clutching is. What is a slushbox or a weed burner? I need a dictionary on truck terms (just the ones that are appropriate).
Slushbox--automatic, weed burner--exhaust ran underneath. *
Slushbox - Allison automatic Weed burner - exhaust that exits under the truck, bonus points if it's pointed directly at the ground Dammit, @Truck Shop beat me.
I drove hauling freight for a grocery chain earlier in life and on one trip I had to climb a long grade probably a mile long and at maybe 20mph. When I started down the other side of the grade I hit the brakes to maintain speed and heard my air rushing out. Fortunately it was a short downgrade followed by another upgrade and I got the truck stopped safely. We made a lot of deliveries to stores in NYC so the company had trucks with frame mounted exhaust. When I got out to investigate I saw a new muffler under the truck with the exhaust pipe pointing straight at the plastic air lines! That climb up the hill had burned off the air lines and I was dumping air trying to brake. They brought me another tractor on the hook to complete my run. Could have ended a lot worse!!