Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First 10 hours in a CASE DL550 Minotour

KSSS · 2024-01-06 18:21

Not sure if this goes in the Dozer heading or CTL. I took delivery of a Case DL550 Minotour at the end of December. This machine has the rubber tracks, rippers, and Lexan windshield. I used to build a large driveway and large parking pad. Laid out 30-14 cy trucks of pitrun. I didn't personally spec this, it was one the dealer had ordered. The biggest decision to be made is going with single steel grousers, triple grousers, or rubber. The machine largely comes with everything (guidance OEM is option). I ,after a lot of thought, was happy with the rubber tracks. The testing of 550 showed the rubber tracks were not far from single grousers in pushing ability, triple grousers were last. I felt that getting a high percentage of total push ability with rubber, is better than going with singles and having occasions when I couldn't use it at all. Time will tell if this was the right way to go. I have little experience running a dozer. I rent then on occasion, but certainly not an accomplished dozer operator. If you have seen any of the You tube videos on this machine. I can agree with many of the comments. Physically the machine is massively built, heavy duty is an understatement. The machine is very well thought out in all the ways that make it dozer. I was expecting it to take a while before I could hold grade without moguls. Some of the YT reviews said it may take days. Honestly, it took about 3 hours and I was cutting flat grade with it. The ability to totally tune this machine to exactly how you want it to respond really makes it easy to learn on. I really liked the ability to push using the 6 way verse a dirt bucket which is how I would have done this before, even being a Newb to dozing for grade. The machine really puts the power to the ground (due to the fact it weighs around 18K). It has two power settings, base is 85 hp and it can be turned up to 114 hp. I tried both settings while pushing the piles. It pushed good at 85, but turning it up to 114 made a huge difference in that application. So far, and its early of course. Here are the things that should have had more thought. The aux couplers that run attachments in CTL mode are .75 couplers. So when you buy the machine you must reduce down to .5 for regular flow and 5/8 for regular high flow. I made the dealer buy those two sets of the reducing couplers. My personal thought, they should come with the machine. The ag community has adaptors that go from Pioneer couplers to JD that are way small. This requires about 6" worth of couplers to accomplish the same thing, not diggin that. The next is the 14 pin coupler that allows the use of Enhanced high flow. This ties a couple of pins together to allow the 41 GPM and 4100 PSI. That should be included, still working on getting that resolved. Working on getting 2D on it now. I may have a bit to say about this, but I will wait until all the facts are known before I say anything about that. Overall, the machine is pretty incredible in its abilities. The ROI for me I think will be very good, much better than having a dedicated dozer of this size. I can doze and I can run it as a large CTL (the bucket is 1.25 CY). I have a very large project coming up shortly that was part of the decision to buy this. I am looking forward to really putting it to work. Lastly as I know some will want to know, the cost was about a third less than the 200k numbers put out on YT.

Replies47
  1. #1Shimmy12024-01-06 19:54

    A member with the handle @pafarmer used to talk a lot about his Cats with steel tracks. Wonder if he's tried one of these. Looks interesting. What is the time to swap between loader and dozer? Looks like it might be difficult in the wrong conditions, something you're not going to be doing several times per day.

  2. #2KSSS2024-01-06 20:25

    It takes me about 3 minutes right now. I think as I get more dialed in, I can do it faster.

  3. #3Vetech632024-01-07 08:24

    You forgot to tell us how much this new machine costs.

  4. #4Vetech632024-01-07 08:25

    OOPPPS lol

  5. #5bam19682024-01-07 11:15

    I'm interested in hearing how it works for you. I always like your posts. You seem to tell it like it is without being biased. The couple of videos I have watched they are mainly walking around the machine and talking about it. I'm curious on how far the blade goes up? Probably sounds like a stupid question but in my neck of the woods we have alot of terraces. Years ago they built alot of bench terraces that are now being converted onto narrow base terraces mainly because the bigger equipment they have now doesn't fit the older terraces. Anyway, converting these is done from the top side and using a loader with a blade on it seems to work the best. There is not much dirt that actually gets moved doing these conversions so using a 963 or a 977 is overkill to say the least. Thats why this DL550 caught my attention. I'm just not sure if the blade would go high enough (3.5-4 ft)?

  6. #6Tags2024-01-07 11:21

    Sounds like a good purchase, I hope it works well for you. When I first saw it at conex 6 years ago I thought it was a great concept for the right applications. I would also think that rubber tracks make it more useful in the long run. Just not sure how they will hold up to the weight of the machine. Got any pics?

  7. #7skyking12024-01-07 11:43

    congrats @KSSS ! I think your choice of tracks was absolutely right. So many times you have to run from dirt to pavement and not having steel and getting the side eye from the road owners is priceless. This thing would rock on small developments with the pavement and curbs in early and needing tuned up. There is money in snow removal and this thing would do those jobs where it has to be trucked out.

  8. #8CM19952024-01-07 19:58

    Congrats on the new iron! I second Sky on the rubber tracks at least if I bought one. The beauty of a CTL is being able to cross finished surfaces coupled with the brute force the 550 has can be a very handy piece of iron. Outfitted with GPS it could easily handle final parking lot grade and backfill curbs. Saw one last year at Conex but didn't spend much time as we were headed to the Trimble booth. $135K +/- isn't a bad price for how much machine you got. Keep us posted and throw some pics up.

  9. #9crane operator2024-01-07 20:09

    Wouldn't be much price difference between this and a new 299 cat? So it looks like the loader arms still control the up/down of the dozer blade? With the rear of the dozer blade sub frame pinning in toward the center of the machine? Either way, it looks like a great multi use piece of iron, and I think the name of the game for a while might be "whatever works" to make $$$$.

  10. #10KSSS2024-01-07 20:59

    I will take a pic of the blade elevated all the way up with a tape measure and post it.

  11. #11KSSS2024-01-07 21:03

    I am guessing that track wear will be faster than a typical 11K CTL. The tracks are considerable longer but I have to think the weight of the machine will have an impact. I considered all of that, I just didn't want to be held back by the single grousers in some environments. Like I said, I will find out what the correct answer was, hopefully I made the right decision. I haven't take any pics yet. This will be going out on a project in a couple weeks, I will get some great dirt pics on that job.

  12. #12KSSS2024-01-07 21:16

    I think price wise it compares very similar to a 299XE. The right handle controls the up and down of the blade, left and right on that handle controls the left/right angle of the blade. A two way switch controls the blade angle. Float, blade shake and on/off for grade control is also on that handle. I didn't mention it, but it shifts like a dozer, its got 16 speeds (that can also be changed on the console) that are controlled on the left handle, so you be in 4th gear moving forward and up to four gears faster going back you can select on the console. When you switch to ISO, it runs just like a typical CTL, straight hydrostat. The added bonus is you make it back up like a dozer with asss of the machine responding like a dozer or like a CTL whichever you prefer. Yea, the idea of fits well with what I got going on. I think the ROI will be high, I will run my mulcher off of it as well.

  13. #13KSSS2024-01-20 11:53

    Here are some pics. I pushed 750 cy of material up on a 200' push. I had to rip it to get through the frost but got that much pushed up in 6.5 hours. I have to push up 5K yards, so got some work to do.

  14. #14CaseFan132024-01-20 13:26

    How is it doing in regards to the washboarding that YouTube says it does? Is it possible to grade and cut freehand without grade control? That’s my biggest concern for one of those in my operation

  15. #15KSSS2024-01-21 12:49

    Yes it is. Earlier in this thread I was laying out a 700' driveway and parking area, laid out about 30 trucks of pitrun. I was able to hold grade after about 3 hours. I have not found it that hard to hold grade with. The more time I spend in it, the more impressed I become. I wish I had single grousers for this particular job.

  16. #16crane operator2024-01-21 12:56

    Pushing hard or ripping in that rock looks like it would make for a lot of wear on the rubber tracks.

  17. #17KSSS2024-01-21 13:19

    Yes, its not an ideal place for the those tracks.

  18. #18MG842024-01-21 13:28

    I'd be really interested to see one of these DL550's run next to a new Case 650M dozer or even an older 550H. In theory the performance 'should' be close, but I haven't seen that comparison made yet. I feel like it'd be hard to get used to the seating position for anyone that has considerable seat time on a dozer, if someone dropped one off here I'd be glad to give it a try though....

  19. #19KSSS2024-01-21 13:36

    Yea, I would like to see that as well. Having nothing to compare it too, I feel good about the level of performance. The machine was bought with this particular job in mind. I was concerned that the machine wouldn't be able to push as much material as I needed it to and I would have to rent a bigger dozer. While certainly a bigger dozer would be faster, but if i can keep up this level of progress, I have nothing to complain about.

  20. #20IceHole2024-01-21 13:49

    I'm more amazed you're doing dirt work in the middle of winter. Pretty much everything happens June-October here.

  21. #21BC Placer gold2024-01-21 13:55

    Sounds pretty impressive so far, thanks for the updates

  22. #22BC Placer gold2024-01-21 13:57

    Not very cold here; but just measured 15” snow on the ground.

  23. #23KSSS2024-01-21 17:35

    Its unusual. If we hadn't gone below zero for a week about 10 days ago, there wasn't even any real frost.

  24. #24colson042024-01-22 08:01

    We had zero frost in the ground until 10 days ago as well. Usually earth works die off in November/December, but projects just kept plugging forward this year. The worse part for me has been the endless mud since October. That is quite the machine. I can't quite process the price tag, but if it keeps you productive and profitable I would count that as a win.

  25. #25IceHole2024-01-22 13:36

    I remember when Bobcats hit 45k and we were like "who the hell can afford that?!"

  26. #26Georgia Iron2024-02-14 11:20

    I stopped by border equipment here in Atlanta they have 2 in stock. I believe the going price is 150k. Seems like a very neat machine. To me I would think it needs more HP but I have not got to use it. How does it do under heavy load turning in mud will it kill the motor?

  27. #27hvy 1ton2024-02-15 00:33

    I will never understand hydro dozer controls having gears. Let me set forward and reverse speed separately and give me a decel pedal for track speed. Has Case fixed the issue with the pump destroking with mulchers?

  28. #28KSSS2024-02-15 08:32

    It does all of that. I can separate the forward drive speed from the reverse drive speed. It also has a decel pedal that slows the engine RPM or slows the drive speed and keeps the rpms at a set level or it is a typical accel pedal. I have not run this machine with a mulcher yet, but I don't have any destroke issues with a 450B that I currently use to mulch with.

  29. #29KSSS2024-02-15 08:36

    I have not had it in deep mud. So far the power seems adequate. You can set it at 85hp or 114 hp. I have been watching the fuel useage on both settings and I am not seeing a huge difference, and the job we have it on is a pretty good push, so it has been set at 114hp.

  30. #30MG842024-02-15 21:18

    I wouldn't think it'd be under powered turning or otherwise. A similar weight dozer has a lot more track on the ground and only 70-80hp, and they turn fine. I do realize a traditional dozer isn't running nearly as much hydraulic load, so maybe that could be a factor?

  31. #31crane operator2024-03-09 12:34

    Spotted in the wild today. Is the black a "factory" color option? It would be hot in summer. He went with the steel tracks, I think it had some kind of grapple landscaping bucket on it, and I saw the dozer blade sitting over by the 299. They were clearing a lake lot, bunch of trees and you can see its rocky.

  32. #32KSSS2024-03-09 15:31

    Looks like the perfect place for the single grousers. I really like the black color.

  33. #33Turfsafari2024-08-20 23:46

    Hello I just received my new dl550..unloaded from the trailer and for some reason all bucket controls and levers work except the bucket will go up but I have to pull the red button on floor for the bucket to lower to ground height …maybe I messed with a switch or something but I need help figuring it out …any help greatly appreciated

  34. #34KSSS2024-08-21 01:36

    Does the machine have the dozer on it? If it does is the machine in ISO mode or Dozer. Should be dozer, I think you may have it in ISO.

  35. #35CM19952024-08-21 10:14

    Welcome to the Forums Tfs! Glad to have you. Spent a lot of time in CR - great country.

  36. #36Turfsafari2024-08-21 11:27

    Hello thanks for the reply ! The machine currently has the bucket attached .. the machine is in iso mode …I was going back and forth to try and see if I could get response from the controller …the arms will go up but not down … and on top of that I made mistake and locked the machine and the proviso is owner never ran a code in it so right now I’m locked out of my new machine ! Help! I called corporate service but had to leave a message and I’m in Costa Rica so not sure if I’ll get a call back…

  37. #37KSSS2024-08-21 21:08

    There is a process to get that machine out of that locked mode. I would call your nearest CASE dealer to get it unlocked.

  38. #38Turfsafari2024-08-21 21:54

    Thanks I called several locations but ultimately I followed a tip to remove the display screen and on the back of it are some serial numbers for the display…the code was the last 4 digits and I’m back and running…unfortunately still have the issue of the bucket arms not lowering…still trying to trouble shoot that issue …all other hydraulic functions working properly

  39. #39KSSS2024-08-22 21:39

    Do you know how to pull up the screen to see if you have a code thrown?

  40. #40Turfsafari2024-08-27 19:27

    Hello yes I did this today …at 125 hours I found a loader arm pressure sensor error …

  41. #41Turfsafari2024-08-27 19:29

    My machine currently has 200 and I’m not sure how to locate this sensor ..I flipped up the cab and literally unplugged , checked, and plugged in again all connections I could reach …no change in operation of arms unfortunately

  42. #42Turfsafari2024-08-27 19:32

    I have mounted both bucket and dozer blade …the forward position on the right stick has no function in either iso or dzr modes … damn!

  43. #43KSSS2024-08-27 19:50

    Is it showing that as a current fault or a stored fault? You probably will need a tech. One thing you could try is shut off the main kill switch and let it sit for 5 min and see if it will reset.

  44. #44Turfsafari2024-08-27 19:55

    Hey thanks It’s a stored fault from June …@125 hours …I’m at 200 hours now …I don’t believe there are any techs here in Costa Rica …I’ve been reaching out to everyone I know…I have tried turning off power every night but problem persists …

  45. #45Turfsafari2024-08-27 20:01

    I was thinking this sensor could be the issue …loader arm pressure sensor ..I mean sounds logical but I have no idea …

  46. #46KSSS2024-08-27 21:08

    Case has a 1800 assist phone number in the cab of the DL550. I would call it and see what they can do for you. Whoever sold it to you like that should be XXXX. They should be able to either help you figure it out.

  47. #47Turfsafari2024-08-28 15:16

    Hey thanks for the reponse! I got in the machine this morning and turned off the auto level function and I regained the boom function!! So it works at least for now …this is the error message I found in the computer … hopefully I’m good to go for a while though!