Hi All, My first post here after lurking for the past few days. Anyway I agreed to purchase an older 1975 780b case backhoe with the 336 turbo. I looked at the available machines in my area and this was by far the best that would fit in my budget. I’m going to use it to build a driveway,lot clearing, and site prep for a house build. I live in eastern Ontario where it’s quite rocky. Only a couple small hydraulic leaks, pins seem tight, no major engine oil leaks, functional brakes, clean overall. I have a cracked rim at the bead, and non functional gauges except the air gauge. I should have it here in the next few days. Questions are: 1 best oil for engine? I run valvoline in my dodge Cummins, but I’ll run a synthetic in the hoe as I want as much quality lube in there as possible. 2. I’d like to find manuals for the old gal. Can anyone help me there? 3. Do you have any areas of concern that I can address in terms of maintenance or operation?
I have a 1974 680E. These old Case machines seem like like great machines if they have been cared for. I have the same engine but the nonturbo version. I use Delo 10/40. I wouldn't recommend a synthetic oil as it presumably has run on regular Dino oil for most of its life. The synthetic oil would likely clean the inside of the engine and clog oil lines/ports. eBay often has old manuals on it. Good luck.
Welcome to HEF, Fletcher !
Welcome to HEF also there is a lot of good info here. The 780B series machines are or were good strong machines but real heavy. On your engine oil Case recommended 30wt engine oil but I would use the 15W40 diesel engine oil, not synthetic. The gauges could be the cab solenoid that powers all cab electrical. Grease is cheap remember that.
Thanks guys. I paid for it and it’s getting floated home soon. I’ll report back. I have more q’s about adding a thumb.
The backhoe is being floated the hour trip to my house as I type this. It’s pretty exciting. The Po found what looks to be a complete backhoe hydraulic valve pack. My question is if I can add a valve/spool to operate the thumb?
Yes you can if you have an auxiliary valve to put in the valve stack.