I thought this required a new post. I pulled the bottom wear plate and notice that it is slightly arced lenghtwise. The outside (bottom part of the bottom plate) is bulged outward (down). I tried clamping it to reverse the curve for a couple of days but when I remove the clamp it springs right back to original position. I ordered a new plate-should have it in a week. Also, the cupped washers that hold it on are in bad shape-on one, the top part had separated from the bottom, and the other is severely distorted. Could resting the inner dipper on the ground (on a piece of wood) overnight have done this? i wouldn't think so. Could this have been caused by welding heat when my mechanic welded the thumb onto the outer dipper? I'm tempted to just reuse the bottom plate since it has probably been that way for many years. I will replace the washers of course. Any thoughts? A new plate would be best, obviously, but I hate to wait a week.
No replies yet.