Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First Cat- 50s D7

northriver ยท 2015-12-11 22:18

So, I've been wanting something with more brunt force than my loader tractors and skid steer, so I started looking around at wheel loaders, couldn't find one that I could justify the cost of, so I did some research and thought a small crawler would be right up my alley, something classic and affordable that I could put to work. Well, one thing led to another, and I strayed a bit from my goal of a good condition 60s D4... I'd like to tell myself that a 1950s D7 was necessary and the price was too good to pass up, but when it comes down to it, I just thought the damn thing was cool. That being said, I've never owned anything that weighs more than about 10 tons or that you operate with levers, haha, so I figured I'd see if anybody out there had any maintenance tips or a direction to go when I get around to starting to fix it up. As is, it runs and drives without too many quirks, as far as I can tell it's spent the last 60 years outside but doesn't have too many hours on it. One thing I can't figure out is where to find the serial number... It would be nice to know more of the history on it. Anybody able to narrow the year range down from pictures?

Replies6
  1. #1Old Magnet2015-12-12 01:29

    D7-17A about s/n 10693-up (1958-up) s/n tag on LH rear of motor below head behind where the pony motor transmission would go and on the LH upper side back of the steering clutch case to the left of the CCU. Looks like pony motor has been replaced by Briggs & Straton.

  2. #2northriver2015-12-12 13:32

    Yea, two stroke pony motor, it works for now. Assuming I don't decide to use it in winter an electric conversion might be in order. Thanks for the advice on the S/N. I was told to look on the left side "in the general vicinity" of the pony motor and didn't see anything, if it is gone hopefully the one on the clutch case is still there.

  3. #3Old Magnet2015-12-12 14:39

    Scratch around in the paint and crud where the tag would be (look for rivets/holes). Might be stamped in the block. I don't see a turbo in there so s/n would be no higher than 17A11,878

  4. #4northriver2015-12-16 10:04

    S/N plate is gone, unfortunately. I can see where it was, maybe the other is still there. The only numbers on the engine I could find were on the front RH side, one on a cover (not sure what it's for) and one on the block:

  5. #5kshansen2015-12-16 11:56

    Not 100% sure but kind of doubt that is a 2 stroke, did B&S ever make a 2 stroke?. I'm thinking that even if only using in the warmer months, which in Iowa might not be that warm some mornings, starting even with a pony engine might be tricky. That is unless the exhaust is connected to heat the intake. Are there prechambers available for that engine that can take glow plugs? That would be a good option and not that hard to do.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2015-12-16 21:31

    The pictures show casting numbers on parts. They can help id year casted to get you in the ballpark if you know the numeral code Cat used. One of the machine serial number location is on the block on the left side near the back. Clean up under the spot where the serial number plate was. Cat also punched the numbers into the steel behind the serial plate. The second serial number spot is to look from the back of the machine on the left side of the big casing about 3/4 of the way up. One can normally find the broken rivits and look at the casting closely also. A winch often covers this one. Your two number locations will have matching numbers unless the engine has been swapped out. Thousands of pages of info on the ACMOC bulletin board for your machine. A operators manual of of ebay will save you a ton of money on proper maintainance and operation.