Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First machine – Newbie questions on older Bobcat 331 functions

PNW_Newbie ยท 2022-10-30 16:27

Hi all, I will be asking many dumb questions I am sure since I have never had a machine like this or any hydraulic machine other than an old farm tractor, I apologize in advance...lol My machine is one of the first models of Bobcat 331 compact excavators. Serial number is: 512913179 I do have the manual now but some things are not exactly clear to me or even in the manual (that I can find yet). First question is what does this selector knob actually do? Mine has been modified so that it remains pulled out all the time by previous owner installing a bunch of washer behind the knob. Thank you for your time (more questions to follow).

Replies7
  1. #1mekanik2022-10-30 16:45

    I believe that selects between excavator and backhoe mode. In one position the upper body rotates to swing the boom in the other position the boom swings side to side like a back hoe and the upper body does not move.

  2. #2PNW_Newbie2022-10-30 17:08

    Just adding to this in case it changes your answer...I can move the boom side to side like a backhoe when I use the right foot pedal...This knob could have something to do with that, but just wanted to add that bit of info. Thank you.

  3. #3PNW_Newbie2022-10-30 17:10

    And here is my next "mystery" item...lol I have no idea and cannot find what this toggle switch is for, located on the right hand console. Anyone know by chance?

  4. #4mekanik2022-10-30 17:31

    I believe the owner's manual is still available from Bobcat.

  5. #5PNW_Newbie2022-10-30 19:03

    I have the operators manual that shows all the controls and neither of the items I am wondering about are mentioned anywhere or shown. The first item (knob on right console by floor) is in the service manual as shown in the photo, I just don't know what it does

  6. #6Michael Ozborn2022-10-31 07:10

    Just looking at the pics on the valve selector it switches between a constant function tool such as a hammer to a piston attachment such as a thumb. Could be wrong though.

  7. #7PNW_Newbie2022-10-31 18:16

    Update #1...yes, that does seem like what the lower knob is for...I will however need to spend more time on this later as from what I read, it sounded like the pulled out position is one way flow which makes no sense since my thumb works both directions and it seems to be in the "out" position. At least I have something to go off now...Thank you. Update #2....UGH!...lol that mystery toggle switch has been added by previous owner, they just put it right in the middle of an existing decal making it look like it was stock. I followed the wires and they are spliced into the high speed switch on the floor...and then as I was scrolling the manual I saw the decal with no toggle switch...So that was a horrible waste of research time....but now I know On to the wipers, lights, horn wiring, and mystery added stand alone hydraulic pump which they mounted in the engine compartment which makes no sense to either of the hydraulic / heavy machine mechanics who have looked at it so far.