Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First machine purchase for small business?

Aliate ยท 2010-01-27 21:07

I started a business about 2 years ago, I own a 6 wheel dump truck and 6 wheel utility truck, both 33,000lb. Ive mainly been doing utility trenching, but my long term goal is general contracting. I want to buy a backhoe but would a small excavator be a better choice? Im going to be doing more trenching this year. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1RTSmith2010-01-28 09:10

    Rather than a backhoe, I'd suggest a mini-ex and a skid steer.

  2. #2EZ TRBO2010-01-28 09:50

    Aliate, it can mostly depend on how far you are traveling between jobs and how long you are on site, etc. I myself am a mini-ex and a skid steer person but I've some friends that have their own small biz and they bought a backhoe first...one machine to load up and to dig with. Now they have a 30K excavator, 3 skid loaders and still that backhoe. Some guys love them and others think they are very unhandy, but they are the jack of all, and master of none.(and you can "road" it to short travel distance jobs.) Trbo

  3. #3special tool2010-01-28 11:54

    Much as I hate those things, if you're doing utilities and only having one machine, should be a backhoe.