Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First NEW mini-ex purchase kx121

calvin ยท 2013-01-21 11:53

I just purchased a new 2012 kx121-3 with angle blade, auto idle, hyd thumb and 2 buckets. I'm upgrading from my case cx-36, as i needed something that would dig more that 11ft and do it easily through clay. The crazy thing about this machine is it feels HUGE compared to my Case, and physically it's really not much bigger at only 1" wider. But I love everything about it especially the fuel efficiency and how much quicker it makes my jobs. I do have one qualm about it though. It has no power when booming left to right?? I can barely sweep 6 inches of dirt when trying to clean up.. and that's a big deal to me How do you guys like your 121's?

Replies23
  1. #1Canadian_digger2013-01-21 21:06

    We need pictures!!!

  2. #2k452013-01-22 07:38

    I've had a 121-3 for four years now for farm use. Nice. If you are talking about using the bucket to push dirt sideways, mine is like that too. I assume it is designed that way so as not to damage the boom. I love the swing blade! Ken

  3. #3drivadesl2013-02-16 07:59

    Nice machine! I've got a U-35 which is very similar to yours that I bought used. I fine that the side to side boom strength is a little light though don't have anything to compare it to since this is my first machine. Otherwise it's been great so I'm sure you will be happy with your KX -121.

  4. #4lumberjack2013-02-16 09:41

    The best way I've found to refill a hole with spoils (Using a 121-3) on the side of the hole relative to your position is to get a bucket full then lift slightly and slew to knock more off into the hole. For final cleanup, you're right, it can't "sweep" much dirt before stalling. You can position yourself behind the spoils and use the blade to push them in, or position yourself across from the spoils (assuming you can reach) and use a crosstie and the like between the bucket and thumb to sweep with the crowd of the boom.

  5. #5Danny Steel2013-02-16 20:13

    Being a new machine, the dealer may not want to adjust that presure on the swing, but I do beleave they can tweek the swing up a bit. I have the KX71-3 and its also like that.

  6. #6calvin2013-02-18 15:30

    Does anyone know how to adjust the swing pressure? It's actually quite a let down when I go to backfill..my smaller machine had more power in the swing than this.

  7. #7lumberjack2013-02-18 22:28

    I'll have a service manual this week, hopefully.

  8. #8TCM2013-02-20 20:51

    My old KX 121-2 was beat up and kicked around when I got it and over time I have been getting back into shape. Since the day I got it, it has earned it's keep 10 times over. Wouldn't trade it for.... I just wouldn't trade it.

  9. #9Ropinghorns2013-02-20 22:05

    You are a man after my own heart. I love my 2012 kx 121-3 with the same stuff as you. Local machine shop made some quick attach ears and I am putting them on every thing. Just take smaller amounts of dirt and live with the swing. I have a 135 Tach. that is weaker than the Kubota.

  10. #10lumberjack2013-02-21 09:44

    Do you happen to have the cut file for the quick attach ears?

  11. #11ILLICEMAN2013-02-21 09:55

    I bought a old Kabota years agoe at a sale near Branson,Mo.I think it was a 35 .It didn,t have pilot controls and had been in Kiwatt after the war.I saw it the other day still running .By far a great name in light const.eq.

  12. #12TCM2013-02-21 11:39

    Regarding ears, if you typing to me I have the DWG file for the ears. The catch is the type of bucket due to its shape. I just got three bucket blanks (no ears) and I will be drawing up the bottom (bucket mating surface) tonight to fit USA attachment buckets. We should start a new threat here I think we are getting off topic.

  13. #13Ropinghorns2013-02-21 20:12

    TCM, I would like a copy of the mating plates.I am at www.lantermantractor.com The thread is hijacked because of me, but this is a great little mini-ex . The side swing on other mini's I have been on was similar. Now, if it is back on track i will tell you thanks for starting the topic calvin.

  14. #14calvin2013-02-22 08:56

    Not off topic at all I like to hear anything at all about this particular machine. I'm also interested in the ears

  15. #15lumberjack2013-02-22 09:22

    Yeah, TCM, I was talking to you. I can alter them as needed, but the qc side would save me some time and be much appreciated! [email protected] if you would be kind enough to share! )

  16. #16TCM2013-02-22 14:17

    Not off topic then continuing on. Don't want to step on toes. The guys who posted the Email I sent the DWG file for ya's. Give them a try and post your results. Thanks

  17. #17TCM2013-02-22 14:20

    Oh Calvin if you want a copy I need one of them there fancy electronic email boxes addressed to you.

  18. #18lumberjack2013-02-22 17:37

    What I got was a wedge lock. My 121 has a pinned qc. Haven't looked at the drawing yet, but I presume it's wedge lock?

  19. #19TCM2013-02-22 18:11

    I'm Canadian eh, wedge is the dominant QC in these parts. I would need some dimensions from you to modify. USA Attachments may sell you individual ears. Let me know.

  20. #20lumberjack2013-02-22 18:48

    Yeah I figured it was a Canuckle thing. :lol: Do you know the ballpark price from USA Attachments? The dealer wanted something silly, like $380 for two blank ears. I'm betting the front portion of your ears are the same and where your wedge is located is roughly where my pin is.

  21. #21TCM2013-02-22 18:58

    You would have to call USA to find out. 1-Measure the outside diameter of all you QC bushings, 2- measure the distance between all bushings and holes ON CENTER sketch it on a piece of paper, scan and email it to me and I will draw it up for you. When you get the DWG file back from me have it printed to scale cut it out and see if it fits then send the file off to the plasma table for cutting. Don't be affraid to include any other dimensions on the QC.

  22. #22Ropinghorns2013-02-22 20:37

    You are going to love this kx121. I talked to a dealer last year that told me the 121 would out perform the 161. Today the nearest Kubota dealer where I got mine said they stopped making the 161 and that the 121 was doing well. Wants me to demo it to a customer who is ordering one like ours, with thumb and cab and quick coupler. I will be happy to bragg on it. I have 6 sets of ears that I had made in Tulsa, at a machine shop near my home. One thing they will be going on is an adapter to my skidsteer quick attach so I can use my auger, pallet forks, log splitter, and any other attachment that is turned around the right way. My log splitter is copied from the ones on utube and other sites that is upside down. I can trim trees that would make my nose bleed from high altitudes and split wood that is on the ground. Dont make me line all this big brag equipment up and take pictures. I have WORK to do!!!

  23. #23calvin2013-02-23 18:33

    my email thingy is sos2day@ymaildotcom