Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First purchase

EZ Generator Sw ยท 2014-10-04 17:49

Ok ..here goes. We are building & electrical contractors and are NOT excavating contractors. With that said I am looking to purchase a older machine 2001 or older for personal use and maybe use on the job now & then. I have used a 315 Cat several times and have my own small Kioti with a excavator on the back. I have the need now & then when we purchase a knock down house for a machine. Also have a piece of property that needs a good portion of fill removed some of which I will keep so there is work there. The Removal portion is 9000 yards and is not why I would purchase... someone else who is set up can buy that for short $$ from me. So Not being a dirt guy I am torn because I know nothing about excavators ( to speak of) I am very hands on but not looking to be a mechanic. Found older 312's around 30K and PC 138 (2001) which seems nice but more $$ of course. Do I buy or just lease something now and again for a month. Seems like kissing 5-6K away once a year seems foolish? I also live on 40 acres so there is always something around to do with the equipment. I would always pay to move it and will never get into that end of it. Looking for a level headed answer...if that possible. Is re-sale of equipment a consideration also? Thanks in advance!

Replies1
  1. #1fhdesign2014-10-04 21:51

    I like the idea of renting but if you aren't going to be moving it much, you could consider a 200 series or over width machine. In my area they are about the same price and often in better shape then the smaller machines.