Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First thread, First Hoe, First Problem

pops · 2007-08-10 06:50

Gentlemen, I’ll try to keep this short. I’m retired and was able to convince the better half that if I had a backhoe I could really make some improvements on our property. I located a two wheel drive Case 580K that was within my spending limits and used all the tips I’ve found on the forum about buying a used machine. It started right up, no smoke and sounds good. At an idle the outriggers picked up the rear, the boom also picked up the rear and the scoop picked up the front. All the gears work and so do the brakes. All the rams looked good, no pits or score marks, no major leaks that I could see. One rear tire is brand new and the other look’s about 90% new. The front ties don’t look to bad either. Some of the not so good things are the pins and bushings especially at the bucket end, their pretty well shot. The biggest problem I found (so far) is the boom will swing a full 90 degrees to the right but only about 30 degrees to the left of center. When it reaches this point you can hear the engine start to bog down. Neither of the driving rams’ looks bent and there is no oil leaking from them. My friend says he thinks that the upper and lower pins that the boom pivots on are probably bent or worn. There is a cam type device under the upper boom pin attachment point that has some type of cam-follower that is not making contact with the cam, just sort of hanging there, would this have anything to do with the problem? I’ve ordered the service manual so next time I’ll be able to use the correct terms for the parts. So my first big question is---anybody out there who can give me some advice about this problem, and will I do any further harm if I operate the machine as it is until it‘s fixed? Thanks in advance, Tim

Replies9
  1. #1thehose2007-08-10 09:33

    Pops, you are spot on with this issue. That "Lever" has fallen off. It is called the "Swing Sequence Lever" Part# D138715 LEVER LEVER, 3-3/8" high pivot tube, crank, swing sequence, lower mounting bolt used with P/N D135552 backhoe frame in Figure 09-480 ETA- Go to this site https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/main.php enter 580k in the model area and then you can see all of the parts blowups and descriptions.

  2. #2pops2007-08-10 10:25

    Thanks you sir, defiantly that site. Tim

  3. #3thehose2007-08-10 13:01

    You very welcome. Let me know if I can help further. You can start the parts search form here. www.casece.com/services/NAE/services.asp?RL=NAE&id=33 I believe the earlier link will be expired now becuase I was logged into my session when I gave that one.

  4. #4pops2007-08-10 13:30

    Got on to their web site, ton of information there.

  5. #5lavarock642007-08-13 17:00

    Pops, if you don't mind me asking, What are the hours and what did you pay for the machine? I recently looked at the same unit (580 K) and passed on it. It was ridden hard. Could not tell me the original hours, guessed at 6,500 and he was asking 15K. Thanks, lavarock

  6. #6pops2007-08-13 19:13

    lavarock, the clock had stopped at about 3,600 hrs, but I’m sure it has a lot more on it than that. It definitely had been ‘ridden hard and put away wet‘, but I got it for a little less than 10K and took a chance on it. I know I’ll have to be putting money in to it, I‘ve started to already. The person I got it from is in the trucking business and had just bought-out another trucking firm. The backhoe and some other equipment he didn’t need came along with the deal. As his interest was only in the trucks he was anxious to sell off the other stuff. So either I got a good deal, or screwed. Time will tell.:beatsme Tim

  7. #7lavarock642007-08-14 13:36

    I'd say you made out well. I would have bit if the 580K I was looking at was priced at 10K. To give you another comparison. I looked at a 580E with a bad motor (spun bearing). Again, it was real rough on the exterior. Quite a gamble, buying a machine that you can't even operate to see what else is wrong with it. + you have to figure out how to get it on a trailer to get it to a shop. He was asking $7,500. I just found out yesterday that he got what he was asking.

  8. #8SouthOnBeach2007-08-20 22:31

    thehose is right on. get that "lever" fixed and you'll be swingin in no time. pins and bushings are easy to replace as long as they havent worn through the bushings into the bore. a cutting torch comes in handy to cut them out, and some dry ice to freaze the bushings before you drop them back in works wonders. 580k's are great machines IMHO

  9. #9pops2007-08-22 07:06

    After getting the cam itself moved back into it's correct position and the "lever and cam follower" re-attached it works ok now. Thanks pops