I've never owned a skid steer, but I drove a bobcat around in horticulture class in high school. They are very useful. I am looking to buy one for very cheap, because I have only one reason to use it, building a dirt track for dirtbikes and ATVs through the woods. I found this on Craigslist. http://semo.craigslist.org/grd/3700156777.html I know it looks like junk but hey, you get what you pay for right? Do you think it's something that would last the summer at least? And do you think it is something I could fix and maintain for the summer? I have reasonable mechanical skills. I didn't grow up around tractors or diesels, but I have learned many trades quickly. I became an Industrial Print Press Operator in 2 years, and I'm just 26. I think I could successfully tinker with this... maybe. I NEED your help! Thoughts? Concerns?
Depending how big you project is, you maybe better off renting a machine a couple of weekends. Based on the picture, I would say that is a pretty little machine and even it works fine, may take forever to do anything just based on its size.
Ditto that. You don't need the headache that machine will give you. That's my guess. Thanks for the chuckle though. That's a collectors item. Better yet, make a friend out of someone close by who has a decent machine.
Newer is almost always better. That being said, I have a Bobcat 600 from the early 70's I bought for $2000 and use almost every day. I even plow snow with a 8 foot snow bucket, load logs for a firewood processor with my forks. All kinds of stuff other guys said it was too old and too small to be doing. There are times it needs repair but being old it's also simple. These things where built for anyone mechanically inclined to fix, many parts are "generic" meaning the same parts used on old farm implements, tractors that can be found at reasonable prices. Don't fool your self that this will always start and operate like a newer machine, it will fail you, and it seems always at the worst of times. You may also get lucky and end up with a strong reliable machine but still expect some maintenance. Even now I have a wheel seal leaking, and I burn points up pretty fast,I plan to upgrade to electronic ignition but that cost money also. My brother has a Gehl 2600 also from the 70's that he uses a lot. basically same story as mine,a good working machine but old. But, his needs to have the engine overhauled and finding reasonable priced parts for a 40 year old Onan engine is holding him back from having it done. These machines are fine for what we and (I think most people) use them for, around home,not pushing them to the limits a regular basis. Because they are old and not the most trust worthy we won't rent our self out with these things, with a newer one you can do that to help pay for it. eventually they will have a break down that will be too costly to fix, at that point just hope you got your money's worth out of it. That could happen any day for us and we still feel we got our money out of these machines over and over. So, is it a gable with a old machine? Yes, but it also may be just what you need. Think it out carefully. If I had the resources I would have bought newer, however I am very happy with what I have. I hope my experience can help you make a decision.