Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First time buying a 55 gallon drum of engine oil. Tips?

Compression-Ignition · 2026-03-02 16:15

A new commute is going to bring my oil usage up to around 20 gallons a year. Up until now I have run 5w40 Mobil Delvac 1 ESP in some things and Rotella T6 in the rest. And I chased the rebates which usually worked out well. But the last time around Mobil stiffed me on my rebate (has happened before) and I'm kind of over it. It looks like 5w40 Phillips 66 Guardol XT will work in everything in my ' fleet '. Just kinda trying to think about any issues I might come across. The drum would be stored in an unheated garage, well unheated unless I fire up the wood stove. I thought maybe I'd pump 10 gallons at a time into jugs and then pull the pump out and seal everything back up. Or is that completely unnecessary? I asked about a pump and the gal at the same local distributor said their reversible rotary hand pump was $140. Brand was Oregon? Can't find anything on it. Should I go look at what they have, or just get a Fill-Rite or similar? Are the $70-$100 American made ones good enough, or would the $200-$300 ones be a better long term buy?

Replies38
  1. #1AllDodge2026-03-02 18:12

    Don't see the oil going bad My Dad just used some 2x4's which sat it up about 2 ft laying on it's side. Used a garden hose gate valve and opened it up to pour into an container, no need to pump

  2. #2Coaldust2026-03-02 18:31
  3. #3CM19952026-03-02 19:18

    Mercedes right there. OP- We go through 3-4 55 Gal drums of engine oil in a year and use one of these from china freight - https://www.harborfreight.com/steel-lever-barrel-pump-71268.html Just keep the drums in covered storage. We only R+R the hand pump when changing drums.

  4. #4Compression-Ignition2026-03-02 22:24

    I didn't necessarily think it would go bad. I was just thinking moisture would somehow get to it? I don't know. I guess it isn't much different than opening up a 5 gallon drum and then it's a whole year before I use the rest sometimes. Maybe I'm just kinda nervous as I don't usually have more than $500 of oil on hand and almost all of that will be sealed up nice and tight until I get to it. The drum ends up at $18.81 a gallon and gallon jugs are $29.48. If you knew the things I've done in my life you'd laugh at me being nervous about any of this. And inside I know it's silly, but I'm just a worrier. I like the idea of no pump I could pretty easily get the barrel up and onto its side. They all come with 2" NPT bungs? I'll probably have to stand it up though as space in my garage is at a premium. And I got one spot on the wall left just big enough for a standing barrel.

  5. #5Coaldust2026-03-02 22:42

    That’s good price for a drum of Guardol XT.

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-03-04 02:55

    You can get a rotary hand pump pretty cheap that comes with the bung adaptor.

  7. #7smifwal2026-03-04 06:51

    10gal per minute https://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-56816.html 7 gal per minute but no cranking just need air https://www.harborfreight.com/12-gpm-air-operated-barrel-pump-93755.html

  8. #8Old Doug2026-03-04 07:04

    At work we saved several gallon jugs and keep them full and refill them in our spare time. The barrels are laying down on some stands so we can pour it out. I like the barrels because it saves on trash. Just think if every one that could use barrels did how much trash empty jugs that wouldnt be going to the land fill trash its unimaginable. I am all for less trash more recycling .

  9. #9Coaldust2026-03-04 21:23

    Right on. Then you can up-cycle the empty drum into a trendy night stand for Mrs.

  10. #10Acoals2026-03-04 21:36

    Get this pump and be happy: https://www.jbtools.com/lincoln-industrial-1340-barrell-pump/?wi=off&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=22180808849&gbraid=0AAAAADsRHpOPiKWcWmejf6ew1DkApTc6i&gclid=CjwKCAiAzZ_NBhAEEiwAMtqKyztS3TGpJjsblCCvdrw3bxNdEwk_QpqCm47jBl6kgTURRoGhmPGSbxoCohcQAvD_BwE

  11. #11Welder Dave2026-03-05 01:16

    Nice thing with a rotary pump is you can turn it backwards when you're finished pumping to lessen dripping. Good to hang a small container under the nozzle to catch any dripping. The drips add up and can make a mess if just left to drip.

  12. #12sillej2026-03-09 00:49

    Which pump is this Coaldust?

  13. #13Coaldust2026-03-09 02:37

    That’s the Lubeworks 3:1 pump & cart. It’s a less expensive Samson knockoff.

  14. #14cfherrman2026-03-09 07:50

    The hand pump at harbor freight is around $20 I think. For 20 gallons a year I would just buy oil in 5 gallon buckets. A typical good oil can be had for $100 a bucket. All oil is going to have water in it, that's why you need to start your engine every once in awhile to burn the water off.

  15. #15fast_st2026-03-09 08:31

    Grandpa told me once when I asked why turbine oil was in steel cans and regular oils are in plastic bottles. Plastic bottles are moisture permeable, steel is not. I would think oil would keep longer in a sealed steel drum. Not sure if this is still true but he was a chemical engineer for Mobil

  16. #16Welder Dave2026-03-09 16:06

    I think steel is more likely to get condensation if it's not filled completely full.

  17. #17fast_st2026-03-09 16:08

    I would think if it was open/breathing like an oil tank in a basement.

  18. #18Welder Dave2026-03-09 16:14

    Depends on where it's stored. Steel will feel a lot colder than plastic in freezing temps.

  19. #19Coaldust2026-03-09 18:41

    I asked that question when I started my career in the lube oil biz. Aviation turbine lube oil falls under MIL-PRF-23699, which specifies tin packaging. It’s generally recognized that plastic packaging can increase hygroscopic contamination and oxidation in ester-based lubes. Grandpa was correct.

  20. #20cfherrman2026-03-09 19:34

    Unless you leave the drum half empty for years condensation is not a problem, remember that your engine pan is gaining the same amount of condensation as that drum will be.

  21. #21Coaldust2026-03-09 19:48

    Keep in mind, P66 DEO has an unopened shelf life of 60 months. Once a drum is opened, 12 months. Make sure you get a fresh drum.

  22. #22fast_st2026-03-09 20:26

    Need a nitrogen or argon purge system like the fancy wine folks

  23. #23Welder Dave2026-03-10 03:29

    Seems like brake fluid should come in a metal container.

  24. #24Welder Dave2026-03-10 03:32

    Or oil needs to be heated to certain temperature to get rid of condensation before using.

  25. #25fast_st2026-03-10 05:14

    giant beer cozy

  26. #26Coaldust2026-03-11 16:05

    “The drum ends up at $18.81 a gallon” Not for long. Allocation and associated BS is around the corner. Expect substantial price increases, happening soon.

  27. #27cfherrman2026-03-11 21:11

    I just bought a new mystic 15w50 5 gallon pail shipped to my door for $80

  28. #28Coaldust2026-03-11 22:41

    That’s the spirit!

  29. #29oldtom2026-03-21 03:22

    see if you can get it in 5 gal-20lts plastic contaniers at the 4 see if you can get it in the 20lts-5gal plastic containers for the same price .becousethe sell more of the smaller. size them old styeel drums nowdays

  30. #30IceHole2026-03-21 10:05

    Plus aviation is VERY slow to adapt change... like still running leaded fuel. Was started to be removed from auto fuel 50 years ago.

  31. #31IceHole2026-03-21 10:08

    Shoot, the shipping alone here would be more than that!

  32. #32Shimmy12026-03-21 13:37

    Even better is buying it in bulk. We have two Buddy Lubes, and keep a tote of each engine and hydraulic on hand for the farm. One lube stand is 3 - 70 gallon compartments, the other has two 60 gallon, and two 30 gallon.

  33. #33Coaldust2026-03-21 14:44

    P66 doesn’t do ecoboxes. IceHole might confirm that. It that drum doesn’t get purchased soon, expect a 45% price increase April 1st.

  34. #34IceHole2026-03-22 17:42

    Bulk doesn't make a ton of sense if it's slow moving unless it's substantially cheaper. That P66 isn't a horrible price. We sell it in BFE AK for around $20/gallon (lot of added fees for shipping). I run 5w40 in my stuff. T6 Rotella is around $20/gallon through Amazon with my 5% back card and the subscribe and save discount. I go through maybe 40-50 gallons a year at home. I just buy gallon cases. A bit of a pain on stuff I need to climb up on to fill, like the dump truck and track loader but lugging a pail and not making a mess pouring isn't that easy either. Not like ISO 32 hydraulic oil that pours and flows pretty quick... and the hole is usually pretty big. Or the equipment has a built in pump.

  35. #35Compression-Ignition2026-03-23 13:47

    They told me they only have 1 gallon jugs and 55 gallon drums. I would prefer gallon jugs or 2.5 gallon. But I was tired of constantly trying to find a good price on oil every 6 months. And switching to this Phillips 66 is going to allow me to run one oil instead of 2 or 3. I went and bought it a day or two after starting this thread. Decided this was the way to go. Going to build some sort of stand that I can tilt it up on it's side to dispense oil and then stand it back up for storage until next use. Thanks for the help.

  36. #36HarleyHappy2026-03-23 15:17

    When I first started using drums, I bought a cheap upright hand dolly and added a spicket and strapped the drum to it and the spill station I had, was tall enough, I could tip it over and crack the small bung for air and fill 2 1/2 gallon jugs.

  37. #37cfherrman2026-03-23 15:39

    If there's an oilfield near you, you can try to find a barrel stand, might get it for free, people even sell them, or you can get some junk free rod and borrow a stand and make one. Ill try to get a pic I have one full of used red coolant I put in my gas trucks. The $30 harbor freight hand pump works great and does not make a mess, with a bbl on its side you will make a mess eventually. I bought a 6 quart filler jug from O'Reilly's for $10 and this thing has completed me, I'm not sure how I filled anything before that in any form factor,and I use 5 gal pails a lot.

  38. #38IceHole2026-03-23 16:24

    I just put it on its side and lift up with fork lift. But I deal with drums daily and I suppose have built some strength man handling them. Check out this video, "arnold girlie man" https://share.google/F81WwveRq4dgtPorf