I have quite a bit of experience hauling gravel, sand crushed stone, ect. with a dump truck. I have some experience backing into a shoulder box. But, I never hauled hot top or backed into a paver. I was just looking for some advise on hauling hot top and backing into a paver.
Kinda obvious tips would be.... 1. Don't bump the paver 2. always double check your rear door before picking up hot mix asphalt at the plant. 3. Make sure you ar centered on the scale under the silo while getting loaded, this prevents you from having a uneven load. 4. Keep the chutes and rear lip of the truck clean, clean and oil them up after ever load. 5. Always be ready to lower the bed in the event of an emergency. 6. Depending on the paver, you may be filling the hopper and pulling up or if its a bigger machine that is capable of pushing you maybe riding it out lol. 7. Have small chains or bungees to fold your mudflaps up out of the way. 8. Always be alert,keep an eye out for laborers stepping between the front of the paver and the rear of the truck. 9.If its a big paving job and you are running with a bunch of trucks, don't take any unplanned breaks with out talking with the other drivers, this helps keep the paver moving, if your sipping on a soda at 3:30in the afternoon and the boys are waiting for the last load they are gonna be steamed !! 10. No matter how annoyed you get don't take it out on the operators or laborer your sitting in a air conditioned cab, they are sweating it out.
Thanks for the advise. My first day of hauling went very well.
I worked for a paving company for a couple years, BlazinSS pretty much covered the special considerations. Your avatar caught my attention, looks like it might be a grader. Have you posted pics of it here anyplace?
It's a 2011 John Deere 670 with a V plow and wing. I run it in the Winter for Maine DOT. I also drive a Volvo wheeler with a plow in wing in the Winter. In the Summer I run backhoe some and drive a Sterling wheeler. I'll post some pictures.