I have a Lull 644 that blew out a seal on one of the large cylinders on the boom. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I'm a relatively competent person(not in an OSHA way) In the past, we've always taken hydraulic cylinders into a shop to have them do the rebuild. That means I have never rebuilt one in my life. With money being tight and the cylinder being large this is my opportunity to handle the rebuild, but I have some questions. 1. I know I will need big wrenches, which I have. Are there any tools that are deal breakers? 2. Do I take it apart and take the parts into my local shop and ask to buy replacements or will they look at me like I'm crazy. Is there a better place to gets replacement parts than my local shop? (Central FL) 3. My cylinders seem to be in good shape overall, but is there something I'm missing in the rebuild process that is more than replacing seals? and I thank you
Not sure what series 644 you're working with, but it's a job you can do if you have the mechanical skill and some tools to work with. Typically the biggest challenge is removing the pins that attach the cylinder, they have a tendency to get stuck. Getting a cylinder that size apart is not that bad, there are tricks to doing pretty much any cylinder. Have you got a price from JLG for the seal kit? Sometimes, depending on part involved, part price is reasonable.