Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First time skidsteer buyer

jcg ยท 2012-01-10 13:28

Any recommendations for a first time skid steer buyer? I will be using one for use on my farm and timber. Mainly brush cutting, light excavation/grading, odd jobs etc. Buddies have Gehls 4835&5635 and Case 1845c and like them a lot. I would like a used machine, 2000 hrs +/-, 10 years old +/-. Case 60xt? 1845c? Gehl 5635?

Replies11
  1. #1dave esterns2012-01-10 18:13

    bobcat s185

  2. #2dirty4fun2012-01-10 19:25

    I would first try to buy something that has a close dealer so when you need parts or help they are close. The older 1845 were pretty bullet proof with very few problems. Most everything was mechanical so didn't have to be a specialist to work on them. The newer machines have computers and lots of nice things to make them easy to operate. Along with that can come bigger problems. I had a 1840 for many years with only oil changes and fuel filter changes. Then bought an 445 Case of junk the first two month I owned it I put 1.5 hours on it and the rest of the time at was at the dealers. It was one of the first ones to come out of the factory and I wish I would of never seen it. After two years of troubles and not trusting it, as the loader would take off on it's own. They put 4-5 control valves in it before they got one that would work. Then it had two more during a Case recall and update. I now have a 445 Series 3, it has been pretty good with only thermostat going bad last year. Great for plowing snow as it has pilot controls so you don't have to use two hands to travel.

  3. #3jcg2012-01-12 07:33

    Can anyone tell me when most mfrs/models began using a lot of computers/electronics so i can avoid these machines? I would like to stay with mechanical so I can avoid issues with computers. Also, how important is hyflow hydraulics for running a brush cutter?

  4. #4buckwheat_la2012-01-12 09:48

    do some research on the brush cutter, find out what flow it requires and that will give you a answer. as far as avoiding electronics, anything pre 2000-2001 should be fairly safe for that, I know even my 40xt (2003) does not have a lot of electronics to worry about.

  5. #5KSSS2012-01-13 00:09

    Going strictly by the year is kinda misleading. Some OEMs went more electronic than others and did it sooner. The Bobcats with E/H which they have had for some time are at one end and Gehl is likely at the other.

  6. #6buckwheat_la2012-01-13 02:02

    agreed, maybe I oversimplified the years, but even in those older Bobcat machines, the electronics in them were not nearly as sophisticated as they are these days.

  7. #7jcg2012-01-13 08:31

    Thank you....E/H is one of the things I am trying to avoid. Sorry for my ignorance on the whole electronics subject. Just trying to find a skid steer that is simple and effective. Beginning to think that Mustang/Gehl might be a good option. Lil background....this is quite a big leap for me since for the last 30 years I have been running a '49 Ford 8N. Nice old utility but quite tired.

  8. #8KSSS2012-01-13 21:22

    The CASE 1840-1845C are the least electronic machines CASE made that are still fairly recent. Very solid, caveman simple, and they hold their value.

  9. #9jcg2012-01-17 08:46

    Thanks for your help KSSS. Would really like to know how well an 1845 would handle a brush cutter since that's what the primary use will be. I have timber and hills that need to be cleaned up and it might be pushing the limits on an 1845.

  10. #10Massman2012-01-17 15:54

    I might suggest its the controls Hi, another newbie here. I have a Case 1845c , late 90's. Great machine. I think you should try the 2 operating systems (sorry guys if there are more modern ones I'm not aware of), ie Case style hand controls, and Bobcat style foot controls. Your comfort level with one or the other will help lead your decision

  11. #11KSSS2012-01-17 21:59

    Well the 1845C at normal aux flow only makes about 16 gpm and it does it at 2500 psi if I remember correctly. These machines can also be had with high flow I think it made about 30 gpm give or take. These older machines did not have stellar gpm output no matter what color. By contrast an 06 CASE 440 makes about 22-23 gpm at the aux. hyd. You may have to trade taking on some electronics to get better hyd flows to run a brush cutter effectively. A 70XT or 440 would give you excellent aux flow without going high flow and give you 2-2.2K of operating capacity. While they are not as caveman simple as the 1800 series, they are much more capable and almost twice as powerful.