Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First tractor given to me needs work. what you think?

drath ยท 2014-03-24 21:18

My uncle bought a 1960-1970 case 310 g series gaser. I really don't no much about it. Have have found the manual. And I have found some parts online. Anyone have suggestions on places for replacement parts? I do plan on restoring it. is this a good starter project? Any tips? Should I change it to a diesel? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Danny

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2014-03-24 22:20

    What parts do you need? And why would you want to change it to a diesel??? The diesel engines of that era were "works in progress". The gas engines pretty much had all the kinks worked out by then. Unless you were thinking of a modern diesel?

  2. #2drath2014-03-24 23:47

    As for parts I'm really not sure yet it has sat in the weather for 3 years. We r going to See if we can get it running first. As for the engine I though a diesel would give it more power but if y oi u r saying the engine change is a bad idea I'll take your word for it. Like I said this will be my first build. Have you ever operated a case track machine anything like this? We won't be using it for heavy work but it would be nice to have around the property. I'm very excited to start on it but am Kinda unsure where to start with the engine. Total rebuild? Put a battery on it and see if it'll fire? Any words of advice are appreciated.... I'll get some pics soon. O would I be able to find new tracks for it? They r very stretched.

  3. #3Moonlite2014-03-25 00:57

    I would make it run first.

  4. #4Delmer2014-03-25 14:10

    I hadn't even noticed this was in the track loader section. The only case I've operated was a newer 850, not much resemblance. I'm a little familiar with the old Deeres and Internationals of that era, that are more similar. Try to turn the engine over by hand (twice, 720 degrees) it shouldn't be too hard to do. First check the oil level, then loosen the drain plug to see if water or oil seeps out. Then check the other oil cases for water before turning the engine over. At that point you could add some gas, a battery and see what she does, or go about it more carefully by pulling the spark plugs, cranking it until you get oil pressure, and check for spark at the same time, then either add gas, or rebuild the carb and clean the gas tank right away. Might as well get it running and see how the brakes/steering and transmission hold up before you find out what tracks will cost and you have to decide whether you paid too much or not

  5. #5drath2014-03-25 18:21

    Well thanks for the information. I'll try that see what happens. I'll message again when I figure out more information.

  6. #6dcoot2014-03-27 20:37

    The early case track machines were ATC (American tractor co) machines and case bought them out and got started in the dozer business. I had two ATC machines (loaders) and one had case decals on it as it must have been sold through a case dealer. Mine were gas machines with the continental 4 cyl. engine. Very dependable, Cheap and easy to fix. They used a differential type steering setup that only had two brake bands that were easily replaced by taking the back cover off the rear end. The bad part was that both tracks did not drive if one lost traction. You had to constantly work the brake levers to slightly brake the slipping track, But once you get used to it you don't even think about it. I used it for at least 20 years and sold it (with the parts machine) two years ago as I needed a larger machine. There's plenty of manuals for these on ebay Regards, Dan

  7. #7drath2014-04-27 13:53

    I started by turning the drive shift over and it does so that's a good sign. I bought a fuel pump last night and have the carburator rebuild kit on order. I also found a manual so I can re wire everything. Hopefully I'll have some time next weekend to put it all together. I have been trying to upload pictures but it won't let me upload them... any ideas?