Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fitting a ripper to D8L

stevenatkinson · 2015-07-16 13:30

Question for the Cat guys. I have the chance to buy a brand new single shank 4 piston Cat D8K ripper and could do with knowing if it will fit our D8L 53Y S/N. Will the brackets need modifying and will the transmission guard fit. Thanks Steve

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2015-07-16 13:39

    Got a S/N for the D8K ripper..? I can see what appears to be a plate on the photo. At first thought I would imagine that it's very unlikely that the mounting brackets for the 8K ripper would fit the back end of a high-drive tractor because the frames of the 2 tractors are so different. Also the 8L is so much larger physically and in power than an 8K. Really the 8L is the equivalent of a D9, which brings up another issue. Would the structure of the 8K ripper stand up to the power of what effectively is a D9 tractor pulling on it..?

  2. #2lantraxco2015-07-16 14:57

    Had a customer once tell me he was ripping rock in his pit, engine happily rumbling, then she started to pull real easy... thought he had broken his ripper shank, turned to look back... nope, shank was fine, standing straight up stuck in the rock with most of the ripper assembly still hanging on it... bad day at Black Rock!

  3. #3theironoracle2015-07-19 11:41

    The picture is NOT a d-8k ripper. My bet is that it actually is a d-8L ripper or like it. The K ripper as I remember all mounting points mount to the "plate" which bolts to the back of the tractor. In this picture you see that the main frame is not connected to the plate. These pins will connect to some cast into main frame on the back of "L" series tractors. I remember there being an aftermarket plate that bolted to the back of D-8N to receive a D-8K ripper, I was told this was super popular to do in early 2000's? Because the U.S. Was importing tons of used d-8n's from somewhere over the ocean where most tractors did not have rippers. These brackets are still available new old stock on Machinerytrader.com last I looked. I think you have something there........TIO

  4. #4theironoracle2015-07-19 12:03

    First picture is a d8L main frame you can see where the ripper frame will attach at #5 however I think I am wrong what you have is actually a d9n ripper because I don't see this configuration in sis for the L. The second picture is of a d9n frame and the last picture is of the d9n ripper cylinder mounting brackets. Hope this helps. You should get a few part numbers off of the dusty ripper so they can be popped into sis.......TIO

  5. #5theironoracle2015-07-19 12:09

    This is what I think we are looking at. I will call it second generation D-9N....TIO

  6. #6Desertwheeler2015-07-19 15:52

    An 8k single shank looks like a multi shank ripper with the outside ones cut off.

  7. #7komatsu1202017-12-06 14:23

    I have a D8K single shank ripper that needs to go on a D8L and I am having trouble finding the adapter plate. Do you have any other help to offer on this. Thanks

  8. #8theironoracle2017-12-06 19:59

    I don’t know of any such adapter plate. The D8L is more of a D9 size cat. The D8k ripper is a bit small for that dozer. As I said above these rippers mount in completely different ways. I would look long and hard for used D8L ripper. If you must do this it is going to require lots of fabrication and engineering. Be sure to post photos!!! TIO !!!

  9. #9komatsu1202017-12-07 15:48

    From caterpiller handbook of ripping. • The D8K Single Shank Ripper fits the D8L Tractor with use of 4Z0511 Adapter Arrangement (Custom Product) and 4Z0519 Pin Puller Modification. This is what Im reffering to. But havn't been able to locate.

  10. #10catman132017-12-07 21:50

    they are probably rare as hens teeth

  11. #11d9gdon2017-12-08 10:32

    Just go to your local Cat dealer and get a quote on one. They'll build it in house. It may cost more than you want to pay, but you never know until you ask.