I just want to get opinions on what is the BEST type of sealer for hydraulic fittings. I used rectorseal 5 on my flat faced couplers for my auger and tightened them up until I thought they would split the coupling, and I still have a drip. What do you use ? I seek knowledge, thanks
Locktite Hydraulic is my choice.Teflon tape if not used properly can clog small passages,especially on newer machines with pilot controls,liqiud teflon is quite as bad,but neither are as good as the Locktite stuff
I despise Teflon tape, only use it when I have to. Loctite Hyd sealant, Recto 5, Aviation Gasket Sealant (I use this frequently), even Permatex Non Hardening (don't remember the number). But with any of the mentioned sealants, all threads "MUST BE" clean and oil free. If there is any oil present, Teflon tape is about your only resort. But I'm wondering if you might possibly have a different problem skidrowe. I'm wondering if you are using o-ring boss couplers on pipe thread hose fittings, or, pipe thread couplers on o-ring boss hose fittings? If you were to do either of these...you ain't going to get it to seal.
Good catch your probably right. About half of mine are O ring.
I believe ATCOEQUIP is correct because of the mention of flat face fittings. You are probably dealing with O ring face seals, "ORFC". The manufacturers are probably getting kick backs for the ORFC people because they are just about everywhere now. I've had less than a tenth of the problems with JIC fittings as I have with the face seals. I use teflon tape all the time for pipe fittings and have never had a problem. I've had pipe dope leak too many times and I just can't stand to use a hardening sealer on fittings that will have to come apart again in the future. You end up using heat to get it loose and now the fitting is brittle or you burn up a seal. I have nothing really against the other sealants. If it works for you then you should use it.
I'm right there with ya' John C. IMHO, the best hyd fitting connection is the old tried and true JIC fitting. As for thread sealants, you are right, unless it's done properly and the threads are free of oil, it's difficult to control leakage. It has to be clean...period. The only problem I have with Teflon tape is, not the application and using it, but the removal of fittings that have been taped. Picking out all those threads of tape that would fowl tiny hyd orifice valves if I allowed it to enter the hyd system, drives me crazy! Maybe...one of us should invent the "perfect hyd sealant" and become a millionaire. Heck...then we'd have to stop working for a living.